Konami announces TurboGrafx Mini

• Thread starter chzsln485
  • 2 comments
Konami announced today a new mini console - this one's based on the TurboGrafx-16. You'll know the formula by now - like the NES/SNES Mini, styling varies between regions based on the console's original appearance, and it'll contain a selection of built-in games.

So far, the following have been announced:
- R-Type
- New Adventure Island
- Ninja Spirit
- Ys Book 1 & 2
- Dungeon Explorer
- Alien Crush

Nothing yet on price or release date, but to tide you over, here's a photo of the snazzy Japanese PC Engine version:

japanpalm.jpg

Thoughts? I personally think it's a great idea as in the UK, the TurboGrafx was only ever available by mail order (!), so the original console is exceedingly uncommon - and one of the fantastic things about re-releases of old games is that it finally makes prohibitively rare titles accessible to a much wider audience, free from the supply/demand considerations of a collector's market - and the pricetags that can bring.

Plus, it's from the era when 2D games/pixel art were at their peak, when each console was very different in hardware specification - and therefore their signature look and sound. It'll complement the SNES and upcoming Mega Drive mini quite nicely, I reckon.

As the PS1 classic has shown, though, it could stumble on below-par emulation and - crucially - having the licenses to the headline titles that people remember best, and arguably define the system.

If they get those things right though - it deserves every success.

(also I know it's a long shot but can we have a six button arcade stick for all the lovely arcade type games this'll have?)

Eurogamer's original article below:
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-06-12-konami-unveils-a-mini-turbografx-16-console

Last edited:
I'm really interested in it. Konami should have no issue like Sony with licensing games as they own so much of the console's library. They could easily put like 40+ games on here like on the wiiu VC.

Latest Posts

Back