La Sarthe .... tyre doesn't matter ?

Greece
Greece
After reading somewhere that intermediate tyres might change to last a bit longer ( which i don't think so ) i try to do a small research - test about it .

Happens to use the Peujot 908 fap detuned at 700 pp lately and i realised that has a quite good fuel consumption and was gently on the tyres.
Am convinced that tyre wear has many parameters to deal with with most crucial, weight, hp , torque and the top speed that a car can carry on the track.
So i grab the 908 and seek for a bone dry race .

Settings are the same everywhere except the weight.

IMG_20230815_221808605_HDR.jpg
tyres after 7 bone dry laps and use FM6 to cover the distance of course.
IMG_20230815_221951666_HDR.jpg
here i didn't add more power ,i just put out the extra weight to balance a bit the FM6 use.

Next ,same weather conditions, FM1 plus the weight needed to use RH tyres like i use to run
IMG_20230816_082446581_HDR.jpg

Tyres after 7 laps and FM1 and 1 pitstop for fuel.
IMG_20230816_082545150_HDR.jpg

The settings of second approach that you can see the weight difference.

The differences are not significant in lap times , but tyre wear is in the second case which is heavier and put more " instant " power at the track even if speed at turns are the same at both cases .

After that i took my usual " suspect " R92CP , put on intermediate tyres and FM6 and give it a go.

Tyres after 3 dry laps
IMG_20230816_085513098_HDR.jpg

After 5 laps
IMG_20230816_090441617.jpg

A light rain occurs but i kept going on red

IMG_20230816_090950224_HDR.jpg

And since i didn't have the time to end at 6th lap ,i kept going
IMG_20230816_091500060_HDR.jpg

Things for thought ?
I don't know ,but that's what it is .

Note
Lap times are not to be considered for the R92CP cause i stop to take pictures, so doesn't represent his ability at lap times.

Last edited:
You’re changing too many parameters. Run the cars at the same weight and same fuel map, that will allow you to see how the tyres compare.
But exactly that was the point, i don't compare different cars on tyre wear etc.
The same car at same pp with few different parameters, behaves differently in tyre wear and in my case was intermediate tyres .

The case was if intermediate tyres last longer after last update and that's how i start it.
My verdict is No , intermediate tyres doesn't change , what can change are the parameters that affect them and might " confuse " someone thinking that " something" might change.

Anyway ,the surprise in my case was that with R92CP with tyres destroyed from the 3rd lap ,he did 4 more laps without significant problems , like those someone face when rain caught him out with RH tyres.

Is down force at maximum for front and rear?

I noticed in the Super Formula cars that on 100% worn tires, with maximum down force, grip was still available and the car easy to control.

But I see similar results when using IM tires in dry conditions. 2 laps and they are usually 100% red. But at Le Mans, I'm usually at minimum down force for reduced aerodynamic drag. In this state, I typically have issues controlling the car when the tires are worn.

Is down force at maximum for front and rear?

I noticed in the Super Formula cars that on 100% worn tires, with maximum down force, grip was still available and the car easy to control.

But I see similar results when using IM tires in dry conditions. 2 laps and they are usually 100% red. But at Le Mans, I'm usually at minimum down force for reduced aerodynamic drag. In this state, I typically have issues controlling the car when the tires are worn.
No they aren't, pp " system " makes tuning with high aero at the back and minimum at the front , the only solution that you can follow.
At least at most of the cases when its about racing cars .

F1 style cars are another story which aerodynamics plays the most significant factor.

As about tyre wear , normally the car must be almost uncontrollable on full red tyres but at the game doesn't happens like that .
Of course there is a difficulty to drive them but isn't so hard to adapt.
Before 1.31 intermediate tyres last for 7 laps at this race ,plus we had and the aquaplaning effect that was taken place when the car had high speed and was too much water on the track .
All this now belong to the past , the only thing left , is to use some other cars that i already know their behaviour, to see how they behave on full red tyres in that race .

135d4985671a1baa73b9c342db6b4b25.gif

As i was suspected from yesterday's test with the R92CP , now am sure that any car with a " decent " behaviour at La Sarthe and capable to do 7 laps .......
Definitely can do ALL laps with intermediate tyres from the beginning and Eliminate the need of any pitstop .

As far as concern intermediate tyres , really doesn't matter.
Rain or not , red or not , it can be done without much effort.

Here are some samples.

Porsche 962 ,7 lap stint with a very light rain at start of lap 4 which is a dry race .
IMG_20230817_080833091_HDR.jpg

962 again with rain this time at 6 lap stint
IMG_20230817_115851712.jpg

Jag XJR 9
7 lap stint , dry race
IMG_20230817_125414680.jpg

I'll continue on that with the cars i use to grid there , settings are untouched,are exactly the same i use to run properly at FM1 with RH .
The only thing that change - except the tyres of course - are FM that was at 6 to cover the distance without pitstop.

Try reducing the Natural Frequency of the suspension,that can really have an effect on tyre wear.I do think that the modern cars that are more aerodynamic tend to exhibit the behaviour you report.I race Classic cars that rarely have aero packages and tyre wear is more apparent.If you have say 25% wear on RM and you get over 50% track wetness then the car becomes a real handfull,sometimes swapping to RH does help with track wetness untill you reach their limit and go to RI or full wets.Some cars will give you well over 7 laps on tyres but some youre lucky to get over 3.I think tyre wear has more effect on the older cars than modern ones.

Try reducing the Natural Frequency of the suspension,that can really have an effect on tyre wear.I do think that the modern cars that are more aerodynamic tend to exhibit the behaviour you report.I race Classic cars that rarely have aero packages and tyre wear is more apparent.If you have say 25% wear on RM and you get over 50% track wetness then the car becomes a real handfull,sometimes swapping to RH does help with track wetness untill you reach their limit and go to RI or full wets.Some cars will give you well over 7 laps on tyres but some youre lucky to get over 3.I think tyre wear has more effect on the older cars than modern ones.
I guess you have right about older cars .
After 1.31 i stop race and seek for non stop cars wearing intermediate tyres from the beginning.
My favourite was the nissan gt 500 and some others from the same class.
Reading somewhere a comment about intermediate tyres ( that might last longer after last update) i try to test them if its true or not .
Of course wasn't, but when i test the R92CP and went 4 laps on totally red tyres without " problems" i was surprised.

Since then i run the majority of the cars i use to grid at La Sarthe and the outcome was the same : No problema like Terminator sais.
Jag X9 , Porsche 962 , mazda 787 ,Alpine VGT ( test it today ) , my old love nissan gt500 , lexus gt ,all of them are able to do non stop races 6 or 7 lap stints.

Especially with nissan gt 500 today i was surprised more .
If someone look closely to the lap times he will notice very small differences in the " bone " dry race i did .
IMG_20230818_192457143_HDR.jpg
clean laps with only one 0.500 penalty from 6th lap to 7 .
Not to mention that i was faster than before but that might have an explanation cause after 1.31 the pp went down a bit and i got few hp more .

If I’ve observed anything since last update tire related the full wet tires don’t last as long as they used to. In my anecdotal experience I feel like the full wets used to last longer than the IM but it doesn’t feel (as in based solely on memory with no measurements ever taken) that way anymore.

About wets i really don't know a thing.
I only use them 3-5 times in my gt7 carrier the last 5 months that i got the game and my ps5.

Since there's no matter to be " competitive" with rain ( its about drive to survive mostly ) i never use wets .

I guess you have right about older cars .
After 1.31 i stop race and seek for non stop cars wearing intermediate tyres from the beginning.
My favourite was the nissan gt 500 and some others from the same class.
Reading somewhere a comment about intermediate tyres ( that might last longer after last update) i try to test them if its true or not .
Of course wasn't, but when i test the R92CP and went 4 laps on totally red tyres without " problems" i was surprised.

Since then i run the majority of the cars i use to grid at La Sarthe and the outcome was the same : No problema like Terminator sais.
Jag X9 , Porsche 962 , mazda 787 ,Alpine VGT ( test it today ) , my old love nissan gt500 , lexus gt ,all of them are able to do non stop races 6 or 7 lap stints.

Especially with nissan gt 500 today i was surprised more .
If someone look closely to the lap times he will notice very small differences in the " bone " dry race i did .
View attachment 1281249 clean laps with only one 0.500 penalty from 6th lap to 7 .
Not to mention that i was faster than before but that might have an explanation cause after 1.31 the pp went down a bit and i got few hp more .
I did a little research last night the Ferrari 500 Mondial will easily do a full race on RM but the Lamborghini Mura does go through tyres a lot faster than the Ferrari but then the Lamborghini is a lot faster so it’s expected.One thing that springs to mind is that tyres on the older Classic cars are a lot thinner than more modern cars, so that may make a difference.I also see that your fastest lap was 4.24 minutes,you should try the Honda 272 or Mura as they can do Le Mans in the 4.10 minutes,if you really push the Mura I think you can do sub 4 minutes a lap.

The truth @bigmull is that the only old car i race at lemans was the Ferrari 330 and was stock .

Am aware of the great " job " that you're doing on older cars but just didn't find time and the right mood to deal with them yet.

As about lap times don't play a significant role for me to choose a car for that race.
On the other hand am a bit " obsessed " to find the limits mine and the cars i drove there when weather permits it.

I was a huge , Huge , HUGE,fan of racing there without pitstops till 1.31 saw up .
After that i went to phase using all old group C monsters , now am a bit " lost " in translation 😂 .
My vacations unfortunately are over today,but the extra time i had give me space to make my recearch for the intermediate tyres and am aware that many cars can do 7 lap stints on RH tyres if weather allow it.

I don't have yet the ability to play online but that is something that i choose till stop the endless Griding that game requires.
La Sarthe was ,is , my favourite way to grid and from time to time i find something to make it more interesting for me .

Tokyo and Sartegna have their own threads but very poor content about La Sarthe and way less for Spa which is understandable cause its one hour.

If I'll start using your tunes and cars I'll let you know, am sure before collection ends ,ill jump and at this side 😉

Last edited:
The truth @bigmull is that the only old car i race at lemans was the Ferrari 330 and was stock .

Am aware of the great " job " that you're doing on older cars but just didn't find time and the right mood to deal with them yet.

As about lap times don't play a significant role for me to choose a car for that race.
On the other hand am a bit " obsessed " to find the limits mine and the cars i drove there when weather permits it.

I was a huge , Huge , HUGE,fan of racing there without pitstops till 1.31 saw up .
After that i went to phase using all old group C monsters , now am a bit " lost " in translation 😂 .
My vacations unfortunately are over today,but the extra time i had give me space to make my recearch for the intermediate tyres and am aware that many cars can do 7 lap stints on RH tyres if weather allow it.

I don't have yet the ability to play online but that is something that i choose till stop the endless Griding that game requires.
La Sarthe was ,is , my favourite way to grid and from time to time i find something to make it more interesting for me .

Tokyo and Sartegna have their own threads but very poor content about La Sarthe and way less for Spa which is understandable cause its one hour.

If I'll start using your tunes and cars I'll let you know, am sure before collection ends ,ill jump and at this side 😉
I always try on the last lap to put in a fast one. I nearly got a sub 4 minute lap the other night, I think it was the old Corvette that came with the last update

Latest Posts

Back