Lago Maggiore 2 Chilli race

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Newbie here, I started GT7 a couple of months ago.
I’ve completed all the menus, got my super licence, have tackled some Missions but I’m concentrating on working my way through all the races at each circuit.
I try to keep to the spirit of the game, cockpit view only, GR3 car in GR3 race, PP as recommended, no Nitrous.

I’ve got stuck at Lago Maggiore, GT cup GR.3, PP 730 5 laps, it’s a 2 chilli race.

At the moment I only have 2 GT3 cars.
Best I can do in the Jaguar GR3 is 3rd, and no better in the Aston GR3.

Is there a better GR3 car to get, such as the Viper or Corvette ?

Or do I wait and come back to it?

Just a reminder that you can win the Gr.3 Corvette by golding the rolling Stone Missions, which are considered one of the easier Mission Blocks.

As for your cars. As far as i remember you have 2 very stable Gr.3 cars with which you can get on the power early after the apex.

Nothing more i can tell you.

The Subaru BRZ GT300 used to be one of the better GR.3 cars. I did most of the chili races with it on hard.

Just a reminder that you can win the Gr.3 Corvette by golding the rolling Stone Missions, which are considered one of the easier Mission Blocks.

As for your cars. As far as i remember you have 2 very stable Gr.3 cars with which you can get on the power early after the apex.

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
At the moment I only have 2 GT3 cars.
Best I can do in the Jaguar GR3 is 3rd, and no better in the Aston GR3.
When you say Aston GR3, you are referring to the Vantage V12 GT3, right?
5765174884081599513_23.jpg

Because there is also the DBR9 GT1, which is also on Gr 3, which is and even bigger beast (with the Subaru, the best Gr 3 cars in the game IMHO):
gt7_car_037.jpg

This races are a little bit harder, but not horribly hard. In this case is more about the pace of Lago Maggiore, which isn't the easiest one to pick.

When you say Aston GR3, you are referring to the Vantage V12 GT3, right?
5765174884081599513_23.jpg

Because there is also the DBR9 GT1, which is also on Gr 3, which is and even bigger beast (with the Subaru, the best Gr 3 cars in the game IMHO):
gt7_car_037.jpg

This races are a little bit harder, but not horribly hard. In this case is more about the pace of Lago Maggiore, which isn't the easiest one to pick.
Thank you, Yes, the V12 is the one I have. I noticed there was a quicker Aston beating me, that’s the other one you show, the DBR9. I’ll look for the DBR9 version

Thank you, Yes, the V12 is the one I have. I noticed there was a quicker Aston beating me, that’s the other one you show, the DBR9. I’ll look for the DBR9 version
The AI doesnt drive to a cars capability. Just because one of them is faster than the other doesnt necessarily mean the car has to be better (or better on the track). Even if the car is faster than you, you would need to eliminate the fact that you may have a slightly different racing line that alters the acceleration.

I would suggest working your way up in difficulty instead of trying to "finish" each even on a track one after the other.
It certianly is possible to win against the AI with any Gr.3 car, though yes, there are definitly some that make it a bit less stressfull.

There is a list created by windfire1010, showing a bit of the strength and weaknesses of each car in certain cases (tracks).

The AI doesnt drive to a cars capability. Just because one of them is faster than the other doesnt necessarily mean the car has to be better (or better on the track). Even if the car is faster than you, you would need to eliminate the fact that you may have a slightly different racing line that alters the acceleration.

I would suggest working your way up in difficulty instead of trying to "finish" each even on a track one after the other.
It certianly is possible to win against the AI with any Gr.3 car, though yes, there are definitly some that make it a bit less stressfull.

There is a list created by windfire1010, showing a bit of the strength and weaknesses of each car in certain cases (tracks).
Appreciate your advice, thank you.
I get fixated on trying to achieve a target!
That link is very useful. I’m astonished and grateful for the amount of time people spend analysing every detail, fantastic!

Thanks everybody for your advice.
Bought the Aston DBR9 - same result, same time - the driver needs to be changed, not the car!
I’ll come back to it later when I’ve got more practice at Lago Maggiore - great track.
It was the same with the Super Licence final test, I couldn’t keep the 917 on the track at first, but after doing the Spa 1 hour race several times, the next time I tried the super licence test it wasn't a problem.

That testing is with BoP on though. I don't think that the Chili races have BoP on, since you tune to a specific PP. BoP definately neuters some of the better performing Gr3 cars more so than others (by definition). The best car with BoP on isn't necessarily the best car with BoP off.

It might be worth having a look at Praiano's tuning thread and applying one of his tunes to your chosen Gr.3 cars. The Jag is a fantastic Gr.3 car - might just need some gearbox modifications to get the most out of it! Little tip: short shift with the F-Type to get the best performance - it doesn't need to run all the way to the end of redline!

EDIT: Tune for the F-Type here.

Last edited:
That testing is with BoP on though. I don't think that the Chili races have BoP on, since you tune to a specific PP. BoP definately neuters some of the better performing Gr3 cars more so than others (by definition). The best car with BoP on isn't necessarily the best car with BoP off.
All true that, I didnt consider them not using BoP as it was a Gr.3 race.

It might be worth having a look at Praiano's tuning thread and applying one of his tunes to your chosen Gr.3 cars. The Jag is a fantastic Gr.3 car - might just need some gearbox modifications to get the most out of it! Little tip: short shift with the F-Type to get the best performance - it doesn't need to run all the way to the end of redline!

EDIT: Tune for the F-Type here.
Thank you, I’ll have a look at that and see where I am different.
I enjoy changing set ups and seeing the effect, some good, some bad!
It‘s an essential part of the game for me.
I have avoided, so far, using other racers set ups, but if it helps, great!
I’ve noticed a few cars where short shifting is quicker, usually on the big engine cars and the Jag is certainly one of them.
Looking at the power and torque curves often gives a clue.
It takes me back to the late 1960s and early 1970s when I used to spend a lot of time tinkering with cars, this is a cheaper way!
Thanks again.

Sadly, for someone with my ability, Golding all of them is just a dream - in the Rolling Stone Mission so far, 4 Bronze, 4 Gold & a Silver. Easy to Intermediate is my level, that’s hard work, but who cares, it’s enjoyable!

Thank you, I’ll have a look at that and see where I am different.
I enjoy changing set ups and seeing the effect, some good, some bad!
It‘s an essential part of the game for me.
I have avoided, so far, using other racers set ups, but if it helps, great!
I’ve noticed a few cars where short shifting is quicker, usually on the big engine cars and the Jag is certainly one of them.
Looking at the power and torque curves often gives a clue.
It takes me back to the late 1960s and early 1970s when I used to spend a lot of time tinkering with cars, this is a cheaper way!
Thanks again.
When it comes to GT, you will find that @praiano63 comes 2nd only to God around here.

(God being @Jordan obviously ;) )

Back