Lamborghini gone Diesel!

Brand spanking new news Lamborghini is going Diesel!!
Read - http://www.autocar.co.uk/News_Article.asp?NA_ID=212640

Lamborghini could be on the verge of a revolutionary supercar step. The Italian firm is testing a diesel Gallardo, with power coming from the 5.0-litre 309bhp V10 VW engine. According to our sources, Lamborghini engineers are happy with the performance, especially the staggering 553lb ft of torque, but the problem lies with the power delivery, in part due to the narrow rev-range characteristics of a diesel engine.

Lamborghini is not the only company to look into an alternative fuel for a supercar. Toyota has a running prototype for a petrol-electric hybrid supercar, with a view to a launch in 2007.

Wow, Lambo diesel? Sounds crazy enough to work, especially with 550 ft lbs of torque! I wonder how much it will sell for if it goes to market... and I wonder what fuel mileage it would get. Hopefully it would be in the double digits(mpg)! :lol:

hmmmm a diesel supercar would be interesting, so far the fastest cars I know which are diesel engined are some BMWs. I really want to know how they're going to pull it off. Everyone knows diesel engines produce insanse amounts of torque but no top end speed. If they somehow find a way around this it could revolutionalize the auto industry.

[stupid suggestion] What if they created an engine that had half of it's cylinders running on gas and half on diesel? Sure you would have to fill both tanks and it would be overly complex but hey this is a lambo. People are expecting it to be complicated and expensive and useless. Doing one bank of gas and one bank of diesel cylinders would probably make the engine a bit rough, but alternating cylinders would probably work. [\stupid suggestion]

lol good idea xcsti, yet another car anomaly to confuse the hell out of women :lol: jk.

Man Toyota has got to be the most Eco-friendly car company in the world. I mean, just imagine a supercar that does 0-60 in under 4.0 seconds, and gets 20mpg? It would be like two contradicting purposes. It would almost be like a good, practical, version of sacrelige. Also, deisel technology has come a long way, and deisel powered cars are now much more efficient than even 1995. Or you know, we could turn our exhaust pipe into one giant catalytic converter. :sly:

I was just thinking that since they mix gas engines that are rev happy and electric motors that have amazing really low rpm torque, they should consider gas and diesel. Now I realize that kind of defeats the purpose of having diesel in the first place as it would hurt economy. Also, assuming that this is turbo charged, it would be way too complicated. Would the gas cylinders recieve boost? Would there be two induction systems?

A diesel lambo defeats the point of having a supercar in the first place if it is created with the goal of making better fuel mileage. Who spends 200K on a gallardo then complains about it costing them 50 bucks to fill up? Your not supposed to drive a supercar every day, things like poor reliability and low gas mileage made sure you wouldn't. But I must admit it would be cool.

That toyota would also be very amazing but I would have a hard time calling it a supercar.

Hmmm, current petrol-powered Gallardo has 500hp and around 370lb-ft of torque. A diesel-engined one will weigh a fair deal more, and you can basically swap the horsepower and torque numbers.

What's next, a 911d, or a Mustang TDCi? Don't get me wrong, I wish more diesel cars were sold here, but there are some cars that should stick to petrol.

A 911 diesel actually sounds like a reasonable idea, since the European market is very open to Diesel cars. Although I can guarantee you a diesel Mustang is not going to happen. Americans for some reason don't like diesel powered cars.

Isn't the cayenne supposed to gain a diesel. This could open the door to other porsche diesels. Americans don't dislike diesels, they just misunderstand them. The only diesels we see are the smelly, loud, smog shooting trucks. We don't get the nice efficient compacts that europe sees. The diesel truck aftermarket has made great gain in strength recently, but that still is an inherently limited group.

Wonder if this is going into their new truck and "brought-back"Espada.
Lamborghini is over using the Gallardo Headlight design by putting it on these 2 concepts.
The Espada is "ok" but the truck killed it for me.
Thank god, the Gallardo Roadster is still on the way.

I think the prospect of bringing out a deisel powered Cayenne woul be viable, but creating a deisel powered anything else would kind of be pushing the envelope. Porsche has already tarnished their name slightly, and i think comming out with a deisel model may give people the wrong impression of porsche being a profit hungry company with no regard to it's product. I do however think that creating a diesel powered Dodge Viper would be a great idea. A diesel powered Viper would restore faith in diesel, and since the Viper is so wildly popular in NA it could boost sales for the fuel hungry beast and possibly do something to further diesel powered car design idea's for the future, it woul be a revolution! everyone would be driving fuel-efficient cars together in harmony! I sound like a gay communist.

I doubt the idea of a $175,000.00 diesel supercar with only 309hp is going to be popular. Even if it does get 20 mpg, anybody who can afford this will not be pinching pennies on fuel costs.

PublicSecrecy
Horsepower sells cars. Torque wins races.

Strange, I don't see the F1 parade switching out for some turbodiesels anytime soon.

You've never heard that saying? F1 cars don't need much torque because theyre so light. 1000lb-ft of torque in an 800lb peice of carbon fibre is deadly.

Man it would sound fugly.

I'd rather have it silenced than anything. Also, wouldn't it be best to add a turbo to bring it up to petrol style HP?

ExigeExcel
Also, wouldn't it be best to add a turbo to bring it up to petrol style HP?
The Touareg V10 is a TDI, and the T stands for turbo. All the modern diesels have one. The turbo and new injection techniques have made the diesel engine rise again in the past few years.

Cheers,
the Interceptor

Wow, supercar makers are going crazy round about now.
Porsche makes a 4X4, Ferrari doesn't come first in an F1 race, Aston Martin is building a car that wont fall apart, and Lambourghini is now making a diesel Gallardo.

Odd, but sounds good.

xcsti
Isn't the cayenne supposed to gain a diesel. This could open the door to other porsche diesels. Americans don't dislike diesels, they just misunderstand them. The only diesels we see are the smelly, loud, smog shooting trucks. We don't get the nice efficient compacts that europe sees. The diesel truck aftermarket has made great gain in strength recently, but that still is an inherently limited group.

No diesel for the Cayenne, instead it's getting the hybrid engine from the Lexus RX400H. The reason being that Americans don't like diesel, but do like hybrids.

Yes, in Europe most regular gas stops will have diesel (I wager all even, I've never seen one without myself). Diesel is wildly popular here, because we pay more than double what the US pays per gallon for regular fuel, and the lower priced and more economical Diesels therefore make a lot of sense here.

This trend is what sparked research into better Diesel engines, especially by European car manufacturors, and recently the Diesel engines are starting to become incredibly competitive. BMW is indeed a good example, with the 1-series Diesel (120d) outperforming it's regular gas cousin (120i) as you'll be able to witness in GT4.

Rather than peak power, it's the lack of below 2000rpm power that's holding the Diesel back from posting insane 0-100 times. From 2000rpm on the Turbos kick in and it outputs "peak power" right uptil it's engine's max revs (say 5-6000rpm). It's a bit confusing to drive fast with a Diesel as a result, because as long as your above 2000rpm, it doesn't matter in which gear you are - where in a regular Diesel car you'll really want to stay around the car's peak torque rpms, say 5000rpm.

Note that there have been bogus Diesel reports for Porsches, and this too might be one. But looking at the trends, it does make a lot of sense. In a way, a Diesel engine is a far superior engine over a regular gas one.

Back