LAME backmarker AI

• Thread starter OwsyF1
  • 3 comments
I was racing at canada the other day, had taken pole then had a little moment and dropped to fifth, no problem fought my way back to second and within 2 seconds of schumachers tail. As we come onto the start finish straight schumacher caught a backmarker and was slowed up so i caught the 2 seconds instantly but as i arrive schumacher has gone round the backmarker (who is mid ractrack now) so i went the other way into a GENEROUS space and he turned into me as i make the move!!!! 🤬 Now is it just me or are the backmarkers far more dangerous and unreliable than a real overtake in this game as this is by no means the first time its happened? Anyone else find the backmarker Artificial Intelligence a total misnomer and it should really be artificially unintelligent?

AI can never be made as good as human intelligence, I think overall Studio Liverpool did a decent job, its acceptable.
But of course I agree the general AI is not brilliant, you just have to learn to avoid them as best you can.

Sure I do appreciate that but my real gripe is that I think the normal AI is excellent like really really good but the backmarkers is appalling I'm quite happy that the other cars never turn in on you its just the backmarkers that are so erratic. I'm pretty sure they have been programmed to get out of the way but whoever wrote that program should be shot!

Yesterday I saw the shocker move of the year due to this programming. I was driving Shanghai and had exited the hairpin following the backstraight. A MF1 that I was lapping placed to the left but was too far ahead of me to overtake him before the final turn to start-finish straight. So I stuck to the racing line and let off the throttle a little for him to take his tight left whereas I was on a faster left turn line just behind of him. Only that he brakes up and takes right and dives into the pit!:crazy: It was a pretty good smashup but by some miracle I escaped unharmed.

Back