Lancia Stratos : Talked Off Of Ledge

• Thread starter iCyCo
  • 10 comments
Barbados
Barbados
iCyCo
GT5: The Ultimate
I've been working on this tune a while back, just a simple tune to cure the suicidal tendencies of the Stratos. No power additions, no weight loss and no new shoes. Just suspension and LSD. I used Nurburgring GP, Silverstone GP and Brands Hatch GP as test beds for the nature of their turns. In stock form I was barely able to get the car around the track with it not trying to kill itself.

Everything Stock except Fully Customizable Suspension and Fully Customizable LSD

Ride Height F: 80 R: 80
Spring Rate F: 4.90 R: 6.07
Compression F: 8 R: 7
Extension F: 7 R: 7
Anti Roll Bars F: 5 R: 6
Camber F: 0 R: 0
Toe F: 0.10 R: 0.20

Brake Balance F: 3 R: 2

Initial Torque 9
Acceleration 18
Braking 36

I want people to test this tune out, I recently tested it out on Red Bull Ring and Tokyo R246, the car instilled no confidence in me to drive it all out, it would be unbalance at the end of the long straight at R246 and long straight after turn 2 at red Bull Ring and the rear still wanted to come around. But.......

I then took it to Sierra and my gosh it was a beauty to drive, was so stable and I actually could of pushed it hard (well hard for me) the rear stayed at the rear and it went where I pointed it was such a pleasure to drive.

Please try it at Sierra and other tracks to see if you experience the same results please and post back here and let me know.

Want to know why it would jump off of the ledge in Tokyo and Austria but so eagerly willing to preserve it's life in beautiful Spain.

I've been trying to tame the little feisty beast myself, but have had to be more extreme including using softer rear tires.

Will give your tune a try and get back to you asap.

I've been trying to tame the little feisty beast myself, but have had to be more extreme including using softer rear tires.

Will give your tune a try and get back to you asap.

Ok thanks, looking forward to it.

Not much of a tuner and feedback is greatly appreciated

I'll give this a go. Got a stock Stratos that has 80 miles on the clock.
Bought the suspension and the trick Diff. Plugged in the numbers (Comfort Soft is stock tyres?)
410pp/185bhp/23torques/980kg CS tyres

No driver aids, sixaxis controller using the sticks (L3= horn!!)

Brakes felt safer but also weaker caught me out how longer the brake distance was. A Stock ABS=0 and 5/5 has lock up issues.

Car was more stable, If I carried some speed in a corner the car would try to swap ends normally but the iCyCo settings made the car less eager to take control of the car.

Only had a lap with bone stock and iCyCo and to be honest I enjoyed both, Maybe Stock reaches the limit of adhesion at a lower speed so may feel more exciting - while the iCyCo set up may have more potential in corners.

I'd have to do a proper timed lap but my initial report would be the set up makes the car easier to chuck about, less edgey than a zero driver aids, stock set up with 5/5 brakes.
I guess you could beef the brakes up from 3/2 as I don't remember getting close to locking up.

Stock test
Did a quick run in traffic and the locking up was not as bad as I thought. Can still tests a driver and I had a bit of a wobble on the exit of turn 26 (Replay shows I chipped the rumble stripe and over compensated - sending me into a comedy wobble and swerve across the track - rather than powering up the hill (Uphill righthanded acute Hairpin with excellent views over the reservoir.)
Also high speed stability was an issue that made me chicken out of going full bore into one of the high speed plunging sweepers.

Managed a 11m22.9
43.0/47.4/63.8/
60.9/60.1/67.9/
91.8/48.1/39.3/
37.3/66.9/55.9 - 11m22.9

Lets try the same Ai grid with iCyCo's set up.
- I imagine it will be faster so long as I don't over drive it.
iCyCo test

Well it started off well, more confidence let me rattle off some very neat early passes. Then I began to hunt down the lead Subaru (That would just drive away) Unfortunalty my cat decided it was time to have some food, namely one of smoked mackerel sandwiches. So I had to pause the game a few times to swat the mog off my food. (Old school Race driver excuse that, blame the cat!)
Oddly The wheels kind of came off in the final bit as it wasn't as stable as I expected in the faster final sector sweeps,

Managed a 11m23.2
But lets look at the sectors as I guess they will start off well but fade as the cat began to muck about.

41.4/46.2/63.2/
61.9/60.7/66.0/
92.5/48.2/38.5/
37.5/72.7/54.0 - 11m23.2

losing 5-6 seconds in one sector was due to a brush with the inside wall on the fast initial left handed sweeper.

There will be Bias for me being very used to the stock settings compared to the iCyCo one.

Had fun though.

Last edited:
Thanks @Ryk

I usually use ABS = 1. Only drove one car in GT5 without it , the Castrol Supra when I was trying ABS=0.

The 72.7 versus the 66.9 sector, huge time difference, the wall brush offset things, glad to see without that times would have been close or slightly better. I usually do two laps as the 1st is the feeler lap, always happen to be quicker on lap 2 well until I push it too hard near the end or something.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll try it in a race as you did and see, I've only did time trials.

The Stratos is phenomenal car. , All is fun and games, then the car has a Tantrum and either you end up Having a feeling the next meal you have will be hospital food or else you end you with such a rush after you save yourself you feel like you could give Maurizio Arrivabene a telephone call, as his current driver line up is a bit feeble.

As you get used to the way the car's personality switches from Pussycat into Psychopath.
I think my issue with your set up was purely down to track time. Once you get used to it, the benefits of the set up will shave loads of time. In Fact Confidence is the biggest deal with this car. And that 72.7 was 90% my fault for fluffing the corner entry and then not having the talent to balance the car smoothly.

Drive hard and keep it sideways

Just ran the Stock Stratos for a two lap arcade race. (Nice Lancia Race Suit in classic Milk and Chocolate colours)

STOCK Lap1
42.8/46.5/62.0
62.4/58.8/67.2
90.0/48.7/38.9
37.8/67.0/53.6 - 11m16.343

STOCK Lap2
39.2/45.1/62.9
61.3/59.5/70.1
90.4/48.7/37.3
37.6/68.9/53.8 - 11m15.371

Love this car. Many places on the lap where you rub up against the limit like a badly fitting windscreen wiper.
The high speed sweepers really.

Now lets run iCyCo's set up.

- Bloody game sold the suspension kit and the differential! (Yet the PS3 remembers I typed in ICyCo? Bonkers!)

ICyCo's Lap1
41.9/44.4/63.2
61.2/57.7/65.4
89.1/47.8/36.6
36.8/66.2/53.0 - 11m03.818

So good I only needed one lap.
Whatever issues I had last time out (Very tired - Cat stealing food... My food.) The car was just as much fun as usual, but a whole heap faster.

The best bit was how "thick" the balance was in the fast sweepers - It still isn't quite safe and every corner has the promise of Hospital food at the end of it.

That's a great starting point towards getting the handle on this without loading the front end with ballast. I made a few changes to your setup. Makes it less prone to kicking the tail on corner entry:

Ride height 75 f 100 r
Swapped your spring rates front to back 6.07 f 4.90 r
swapped your ARB to 6 f 5 r

Everything else is as you tuned it. I put down some numbers and post them.

That's a great starting point towards getting the handle on this without loading the front end with ballast. I made a few changes to your setup. Makes it less prone to kicking the tail on corner entry:

Ride height 75 f 100 r
Swapped your spring rates front to back 6.07 f 4.90 r
swapped your ARB to 6 f 5 r

Everything else is as you tuned it. I put down some numbers and post them.

I've seen members mention this flipping thing, why is it done?

The most basic of answers is weight transfer. Soft equals weight transfer, therefore more grip. Hard decreases weight transfer and you get less grip. A good test would be to take one of your tuned FF cars, set front and rear springs at the same rate, lower the rear ride height the max and then raise the front 30 higher than the back. Drive and compare to your original setup, you'll be amazed at the increase in turn-in due to the increase in weight transfer at the front end. Its a whole lot more complicated than that, but this will give you hands-on proof and a good start as to why cars do what they do in GT6.

I couldn't get around Sierra with your setup without spinning. My changes got me an 11:24 something. I was tired, and use a DS3, so that might have contributed to my problems. Then there's the fact I'm no whoosiergirl........ I'll plug away at it later ;)

Latest Posts

Back