Lap times - Auto v Manual Transmission

• Thread starter Wolf-M
  • 22 comments

Wolf-M

Wolf on wheels
Premium
BlackWhiteWolf; GTP_DeadlyWolf
Is there a significant difference between the fastest lap times using auto and manual transmission?

I use auto, and find that I can hardly keep up with the fastest lap times posted in this forum - for PP600 (s2) races

The fastest lap I can do in Suzuka (in a tuned Evo X) is 2:21; while for Fuji it's 1:53 - both recorded when I'm in the lead for the whole lap, so no boost effect

Am I considered slow among other auto drivers? I've experimented with a few other tunes found on this site, but can never reach the reference lap times provided by the original tuner, usually trailing 3-5 seconds behind

Is there a significant difference between the fastest lap times using auto and manual transmission?

I use auto, and find that I can hardly keep up with the fastest lap times posted in this forum - for PP600 (s2) races

Manual can be faster as you decide when to shift at optimal times, like short-shifting or holding it in a gear coming to the next corner.

but if we are talking about manual shifting with the G25, with the clutch, H pattern shifter and in a manual car then yes, Manual outright faster (GT Academy is proof of that)

The fastest lap I can do in Suzuka (in a tuned Evo X) is 2:21; while for Fuji it's 1:53 - both recorded when I'm in the lead for the whole lap, so no boost effect

Problem with that is you are actually being slowed down, the boost effect as far as we know (check boost demystified thread) reduced grip on the front runner cars (hence slower times) rather than just speed up the cars at the back.

You really need to check lap times out in a TT and out of a race.

wheel / pad?
I'm using the Driving Force GT

Problem with that is you are actually being slowed down, the boost effect as far as we know (check boost demystified thread) reduced grip on the front runner cars (hence slower times) rather than just speed up the cars at the back.

Oh thanks for telling me!

I use the pad set to manual, I feel that this is faster as I have always used a manual transmission.:)Have posted top 20 and some top 10 times on the arcade time trials.:sly:

I always drive Manual transmission, however yesterday my friend was here, he plays in Automatic and I tried the Mines R34 at Suzuka in Automatic then I tried it in manual, I shaved 1.xx seconds of my record in Automatic when I drove in Manual.

Manual is always faster as you can get more speed out of each gear by going closer to the end of the red line.
That is not necessarily true, it would depend on the gear settings and the torque/power graph. But regardless of that, you're still faster doing it manually. :)

not in every car. ;) ..not telling any names.

I have to agree here, I was killing myself trying to get a top time in the Fuji TT with my WRX and was almost red-lining on the straight through the gears. I watched the top guy's reply and saw he was shifting much earlier than the redline, I "borrowed" his style and found myself going much faster by the end of the straight (actually most straights..)

I was no longer watching the back end of his ghost mocking me by turn 1 ;)

All the best,
Synwraith

manual with clutch on the G25 is always faster as long as you hit the perfect shift points on the redline.

Manual is virtually always faster. Some cars maintain quicker acceleration shifted earlier or later than the auto-shift option will allow. Manual gear selection in turns is also critical for a fast lap; the auto will frequently shift when you could've stayed in the same gear, either for better torque or just to avoid the dip in acceleration during the unnecessary shifts.

From my experience with GT3 A-Spec and GT4, manual's always a sec quicker than automatic. That's espically true for rally track. (where are the rally tracks in GT5P :grumpy:) If you want to know where to shifft at what rpm range for maxinium hp OR torque (whichever u need for that certain situtation) go to quick tune and analyize the HP and Torque power curve and notice what RPM range HP or Torque begins to fall over, once you understand the chart, you're well on ur way to becoming a true GT5P master.

👍👍

I've recently tried switching to manual transmission after a lifetime of playing driving games with auto transmission.

It took a while to get the hang of it, like a day of two, but it seems so much quicker. I can shave at least a second of my best lap times using it. It seems to help with slowing down just as much as accelerating as you kind of get the engine breaking effect when you bang down through the gears.
Initially, i was changing down too quick and getting a lot of wheel lock up, but now i'm getting used to it, it is definately better.

GT Prologue now feels like a brand new game to me now i'm playing it this way.

I also want to take this opportunity to apolagise to anyone who i've accidently tagged whilst playing online when i was still not 100% with changing gears. It's tricky with the pad cos i just seem to 'fingers everywhere' at the moment!

Maybe it's time to invest in a nice shiny new G25? Best get saving i guess. And keep the price tag a secret from Mrs Stalker. She go ape 🤬 if she knows how much i've spent on 'just a controller'!!!

I'd have to say that the manual is a lot quicker and gives u a lot of control over the car.
Time Trials should be ur reference to notice the difference.

In order to really answer this question turn to the time trials, not the online racing. Right now there are just too many variables, i.e. boost, being held back, etc. The manual takes some time to learn, but it is faster, you can shift at the optimum points for each individual car, i.e. The power torque curve is high in low RPM's but peaks out early, shifting before even reaching redline can be the best shifting, however if the power torque curve is low in the low RPM's but tops off late, shifting after redline can be the best for shifting. It takes time and experimenting, but all around manual is faster.

Luke

Manual is most definately quicker, and the car is more responsive in chicanes when you need to quickly change gears. auto takes slightly longer to respond because it doesn't red line to the max before changing to the next gear, so your not getting the full power of the torque range. I find auto kind of walks through the gears, whereas manual runs through the gears, depending on how quick you can change up and down.

Since we play two-player mode then manual is out of the question. Unless you can hear your own car it makes it very difficult for we old blokes. So we all use automatic. Sort the sounds out PD!!!!!

Back