Laptop Freezing & WIFI / Charger problems

• Thread starter Castrol96
  • 5 comments

Castrol96

(Banned)
United Kingdom
Southampton, UK
I've recently had a blue screen with the "WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR". My laptop freezes alot right after the wifi dies. This occurs sometimes when I insert my charger. There is nothing wrong with my router and I am unsure what it could be, maybe something to do with the Hardware?

Any idea on what I should do? Would resetting my drive work?

Last edited:
Have you tried turning the WiFi off (as in off, not just disconnecting from your usual network) before connecting the charger to see if it still freezes? It could be the WiFi has nothing to do with the freeze but connecting the charger causes both. Does it blue screen every time or was it just once?

It could be that when you plug the charger in it's causing a brown out (which is when the voltage sags just enough to cause issues but not enough for it to switch off, like when the lights go dim in your house when there's a brief problem with the supply), possibly due to a defective charger or laptop.

Last edited:
The WHEA error is a hardware error. If I understand you right Castrol, your wifi goes out, then the laptop freezes? Does the wifi also go out right before the computer freezes when plugging in the charger. If so, my guess is that there is an issue with the wifi card.
How old is the laptop? If more than a year, it could possibly be as easy as cleaning dust out of the case and off the boards. I dont know your skill level, so I wont assume one way or the other. But, I think the best way to test this is actually do remove the wifi board. It's generally as simply as removing some screws and taking off a panel, but some people are squeamish about opening things up.

The WHEA error is a hardware error. If I understand you right Castrol, your wifi goes out, then the laptop freezes? Does the wifi also go out right before the computer freezes when plugging in the charger. If so, my guess is that there is an issue with the wifi card.
How old is the laptop? If more than a year, it could possibly be as easy as cleaning dust out of the case and off the boards. I dont know your skill level, so I wont assume one way or the other. But, I think the best way to test this is actually do remove the wifi board. It's generally as simply as removing some screws and taking off a panel, but some people are squeamish about opening things up.

Thanks. 👍

I've had the Laptop just over 4 years now... You're right about it when it freezes. I've opened it up in the past and I think it definitely is to do with the WIFI card... I might just order another one to replace it.

I would first try popping it open, take the card out and test, then give it all a good cleaning and reseat the card and see what happens. Best to both confirm the issue and see if something easy fixes it before throwing money around.

Try changing your power settings in the control panel. The particular culprit might be the screen brightness - set this to be quite dim under "plugged in".

Back