Laptop Is Stuck In Sleep Mode

Germany
Recklinghausen
n_blkr
Earlier today in school, one of my friends thought it was funny to press the on/off button repeatedly very fast. I barely saw it in the corner of my eye because I was helping someone in the meantime. Anyway, since then, the laptop is stuck with a black screen. However, any kind of input isn't recognized, I can press any kind of button and nothing will happen. The laptop is still powered on, since the indicator LED is still blinking. I can't even "wake up" or restart the computer, and since my laptop has a built in battery which is of course non-removeable, that won't work as well. Another thing that happens, is whenever I plug in the power adapter, the laptop won't charge.

Edit: I found out that maybe plugging out the battery would work, but, as I wrote above: the battery can only be removed when I disassemble the laptop.

So, does anyone know how to solve this problem? Should I maybe let it run out of battery and then try to boot it up normally again? I need the laptop back working asap. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
TB
Is it possible it's in projector mode?
After checking the laptop again, it does seem to be turned off. I then tried to charge the laptop with the power adapter, and it didn't charge at all.

Remove the battery, wait 10 seconds, plug the battery back in.
This should allow you to re boot it.

Any data you had not saved will be lost.

What kind of laptop is it?

Battery removal is not that hard even if it is internal.

Remove the battery, wait 10 seconds, plug the battery back in.
This should allow you to re boot it.

Any data you had not saved will be lost.

What kind of laptop is it?

Battery removal is not that hard even if it is internal.
It's an Asus R541UV.

The problem is, if I remove the battery, the warranty will be lost. That's the thing, since (I highly guess) you're not supposed to change an internal battery.

It's an Asus R541UV.

The problem is, if I remove the battery, the warranty will be lost. That's the thing, since (I highly guess) you're not supposed to change an internal battery.
If it's under warranty, then problem solved. Drop it in Asus' lap.

It's an Asus R541UV.

It is not really changing, just removing the connector.

Try holding down the power button for 10 seconds.

But this is a laptop and not a 2 in 1 style laptop?.

If it's under warranty, then problem solved. Drop it in Asus' lap.
That's probably what I'm going to do this weekend.
It is not really changing, just removing the connector.

Try holding down the power button for 10 seconds.

But this is a laptop and not a 2 in 1 style laptop?.
It's a normal laptop.

The fix for the problem you describe on almost every laptop I've ever worked on is to try a power-on with the battery disconnected (drains the innards)... or drain the battery to 0% with the power cable unplugged. I guess the second won't work for you if you can't actually get to a power-on-but-screen-black state.

As @BobK says, if it's still under warranty then take it to ASUS. Depending on where you are in the world you may be able to take it to the vendor and make them do the running.

If you don't have a warranty... welcome to the insides of an ASUS. Not a nice place :D

Just let the laptop run until the battery dies and it shuts off completely then plug it in and turn it back on.

Pressing the power button repeatedly that fast would has seriously messed up the wake system on either the software or hardware side.

Stupidest thing I have ever heard someone do to a laptop... find new friends! :lol:

Back