Late brake or early brake

• Thread starter pentagram
  • 12 comments
I used to apply late brakes on races since GT2. But since a couple weeks ago I tried early braking. And it turns out significantly faster. It cuts up to 10 seconds each lap. I scored my best time in nurburgring and its close to the fastest time I've seen in here (gtplanet).

I tried it after watching a random video of a porsche doing a hot lap at nordschleife. He drove smoothly braking early and accelerates through corners and chicanes. And he scored a good time.

here's the vid:

how about you guys?

I used to apply late brakes on races since GT2. But since a couple weeks ago I tried early braking. And it turns out significantly faster. It cuts up to 10 seconds each lap. I scored my best time in nurburgring and its close to the fastest time I've seen in here (gtplanet).

I tried it after watching a random video of a porsche doing a hot lap at nordschleife. He drove smoothly braking early and accelerates through corners and chicanes. And he scored a good time.

here's the vid:

how about you guys?

Fixed. I don't brake extremely late, but I brake later than the red flashing light tells me to. And you don't need the http//:www.youtube.com in your videos, you just need the video id whic is everything after the equal sign

Well, it is pretty much taught in most racing philosophy's that you enter slow and fast out.

Well, it is pretty much taught in most racing philosophy's that you enter slow and fast out.

ONLY when theres a longer straight ahead
when there are following more curves, turnes and chicanes then it´s better to brake even a bit later...

Fixed. I don't brake extremely late, but I brake later than the red flashing light tells me to. And you don't need the http//:www.youtube.com in your videos, you just need the video id whic is everything after the equal sign

Thanks dude.
I brake earlier than the red line. Wayy earlier sometimes. And accelerating while turning. Works best in 4WD.

On the initial d anime/cartoon they enter fast and come out fast(whilst drifting).

Also in the Intial D anime/cartoon, professional race drivers can't beat a high school student who doesn't have a drivers license in a car with less than half the HP. :S

Not to mention said high school student entering tricycle mode by lifting one of the FRONT wheels at will.

Come on, get real.

Last edited:
Also in the Intial D anime/cartoon, professional race drivers can't beat a high school student who doesn't have a drivers license in a car with less than half the HP. :S

Not to mention said high school student entering tricycle mode by lifting one of the FRONT wheels at will.

Come on, get real.
Hey man, i wasn't being serious, initial d is way unrealistic and sometimes stupid, i know that. But i enjoy watching it anyways.

Like Slatz said, it depends entirely on the corner and/or what follows the corner. Taking a late apex allows you to brake later and get on the throttle earlier and is especially useful in corners greater than 90°. Early apex should be used through shallower corners, usually after a high-speed straight. Braking slightly early allows you to turn in and get on the power earlier for an early apex through a shallow corner.

Using Laguna Seca as an example:

laguna-seca_track_map.jpeg

A good example of an early-normal apex corner would be turn 4. This corner is shallower than it looks and you'd be surprised how quickly you can take it with earlier turn-in. A good example of a late-apex corner would be turn 11. You want to carry as much speed as possible down the finish straight--more speed here means you begin your next lap at as high a speed as possible.

This site's section on racing lines is mostly accurate:

http://www.drivingfast.net/techniques/racing-line.htm

Some pretty good info there.

Well when I first started playing Gran Turismo back in GT2... I used to brake late because I thought I would get away with it (I Didn't know much about racing).. But after almost %90 of those tries ended up with me flying across the track into a wall or a sand trap.. I researched it a bit and found out (as much of you are saying) that if you brake early you can go out of the corner a lot faster.... But there are times where you'll have to brake really late, and even play with the throttle at the same time while braking in order to get passed some slow goomba on the road!! But this can be tricky because if you do happen to brake a little TOO late.. you can loose it all and end up like me in the sandtrap or worst, in the wall...

Then again in GT2, if you ended up in the wall.. you probably gained like 4 positions!! :)

Back