Latency problems in open lobby, can't connect to 1/2 of rooms

  • Thread starter Thread starter SevenIM
  • 5 comments
  • 1,134 views
Messages
9
United States
Illinois
Messages
SevenIM
I have run into some serious connection issues in the past few days that I have never heard of before and can't think of a possible outside issue that would have made this start happening in the past few days.

When I am in the open lobby, about half of the rooms on the list have the latency indicator at zero bars, and I really do mean half. I counted 52 out of 100 available rooms with this problem. It will let me connect to these rooms just fine, but as soon as I'm in it disconnects me. I have done the following to try to fix this, but so far it has all been in vain:

I reset both the game and the system
I emptied the cache in the games' settings
I reset my router
I reconfigured the network settings on my PS3 and made sure UPnP was enabled
I set up a wired connection on my PS3 but it didn't make any difference.

I live in the middle of the US and have it set to only show US rooms so I know it's not a distance issue; in fact, when I have it display rooms worldwide I find rooms in Europe and Japan I get lots of rooms that have 1 or 2 bars but never 0 like so many of the others. I changed to a new service provider when I moved back in June and I have plenty of bandwidth, but this has only occurred within the past few days. It's really frustrating because it seriously limits my choices. I have played BF3, Madden 12 and Soul Calibur 4 online since this started happening and all of those are having no problems at all, nor am I noticing any issues or slowdown with my internet connection overall.

Has anyone else heard of this happening, and is there a known solution?
 
I'm right in thinking that the bars and stars thing is about the condition of the room your going in as opposed to your connection status.

I've gone in many rooms that have low bars and starts, never been kicked out because of connections isssues, although the lag can be awfull!
 
I'm right in thinking that the bars and stars thing is about the condition of the room your going in as opposed to your connection status.

I've gone in many rooms that have low bars and starts, never been kicked out because of connections isssues, although the lag can be awfull!

If I remember correctly, the bars represent the ping (i.e. lag). The more, the smaller the ping, the less lag. Zero bars can be two things - really looooong ping times, or a setup where the host does not respond to pings (my setup for instance).

The stars represent the race quality the host chose when creating the lobby.
 
I have run into some serious connection issues in the past few days that I have never heard of before and can't think of a possible outside issue that would have made this start happening in the past few days.

When I am in the open lobby, about half of the rooms on the list have the latency indicator at zero bars, and I really do mean half. I counted 52 out of 100 available rooms with this problem. It will let me connect to these rooms just fine, but as soon as I'm in it disconnects me. I have done the following to try to fix this, but so far it has all been in vain:

I reset both the game and the system
I emptied the cache in the games' settings
I reset my router
I reconfigured the network settings on my PS3 and made sure UPnP was enabled
I set up a wired connection on my PS3 but it didn't make any difference.

I live in the middle of the US and have it set to only show US rooms so I know it's not a distance issue; in fact, when I have it display rooms worldwide I find rooms in Europe and Japan I get lots of rooms that have 1 or 2 bars but never 0 like so many of the others. I changed to a new service provider when I moved back in June and I have plenty of bandwidth, but this has only occurred within the past few days. It's really frustrating because it seriously limits my choices. I have played BF3, Madden 12 and Soul Calibur 4 online since this started happening and all of those are having no problems at all, nor am I noticing any issues or slowdown with my internet connection overall.

Has anyone else heard of this happening, and is there a known solution?

I was experiencing the same problems you described in your post and tried all of the same things to resolve the situation. After resetting my router and re-adding my PS3's static IP to the DMZ I was able to connect to an online room that was hosting 15 people. Much to my surprise it didn't disconnect me after the usual 60 second time frame but I still had some lag issues. I took it as a small victory that I was able to stay in the room for over an hour.

The two rooms I have attempted to join since have connected without an issue and I have been able to stay in the rooms for as long as I desired. However, the maximum number of people in each room never exceeded eight persons.

I am expecting my problems are not over yet but as for now I am happy.
 
I was experiencing the same problems you described in your post and tried all of the same things to resolve the situation. After resetting my router and re-adding my PS3's static IP to the DMZ I was able to connect to an online room that was hosting 15 people. Much to my surprise it didn't disconnect me after the usual 60 second time frame but I still had some lag issues. I took it as a small victory that I was able to stay in the room for over an hour.

The two rooms I have attempted to join since have connected without an issue and I have been able to stay in the rooms for as long as I desired. However, the maximum number of people in each room never exceeded eight persons.

I am expecting my problems are not over yet but as for now I am happy.

Do you think that's what was causing you problems during the Capp Cup race? You'd never had problems with my lounge before so I was a bit baffled.
 
I was experiencing the same problems you described in your post and tried all of the same things to resolve the situation. After resetting my router and re-adding my PS3's static IP to the DMZ I was able to connect to an online room that was hosting 15 people. Much to my surprise it didn't disconnect me after the usual 60 second time frame but I still had some lag issues. I took it as a small victory that I was able to stay in the room for over an hour.

The two rooms I have attempted to join since have connected without an issue and I have been able to stay in the rooms for as long as I desired. However, the maximum number of people in each room never exceeded eight persons.

I am expecting my problems are not over yet but as for now I am happy.

Thanks, Ill give that a try. I was able to get into rooms with 15 people before. It seemed to be a random selection of rooms that had the latency problems. Although at this point I can't even sign into PSN, so something is definitely going on.

EDIT: Nevermind, PSN is just down for maintenance, so I'll have to wait to try it later.
 
Last edited:
Back