Le Mans 24 hours (A-Spec)

• Thread starter LM24Z
  • 2 comments
xICExMANx
Just finished my first 24 hour race. Had my old fat launch PS3 and it held up just fine over about the three days it took to complete the race. I used a stock Audi R10 to tackle Circuit de la Sarthe. My goal was to complete a fair and clean race (i.e. no track cutting, ramming AI etc...)

Hour 1: Dry race (for about the first hour). Tried to settle in to a good consistent rhythm for the race. Had a good battle going with the BMW LMR and the Mercedes GTR for about fifth place. My lap times were around 3:33-3:35. The Audi somewhat lacks pace as compared to the Pescarolo or Bentley, but I found that on soft tires, only running about 7 or 8 lap stints, the extra time I spent on pit road about evens out with the time I gained on the leaders on track.

Hour 2-3: It began to rain and rain hard. Apparently intermediates work better in wet conditions than actual rain tires (go figure). After struggling for a few stints on wets, I gradually made up time on the intermediates and was able to gain time on the lead Pescarolo.

Hour 3-4: Still raining. Consolidated my second place over the Bentley and am gaining a lot of time using the inters. Night racing is tricky, but after finding good reference points I was able to set consistent lap times around 4 mins or so. Running about 11-12 lap stints on the intermediates.

Hour 5-6: Still Raining. Gained the lead and am putting a gap on the Pescarolo. Night driving is an awesome experience.

Hour 7-8: Still raining. The field is starting to really spread out. I'm up to about a lap and a half lead on the Pescarolo. Still on inters.

Hour 9-13: Daylight begins and the track started to dry out. I have about three laps in hand over the Pescarolo. Took a risk and ended up staying out too long on the inters. The track began to dry quickly and the Pescarolo starts gaining time back eventually cutting my lead down to about two laps.

Hour 14-16: Came too far to lose the race to the Pescarolo! I was setting my fastest laps of the race at this point.... around 3:29. I am able to hold the gap to about two laps over the Pescarolo. The gap would alternate between 2 and 3 laps (depending on pit sequence). I am basically running 7 or 8 hot laps, pitting, and doing it again.

Hour 17: Starts raining again!, but then goes away in about 20 minutes. Gotta love the variable weather!

Hour 18-20: Dry track, still running flat out to keep the Pescarolo at bay. Gap is still about 2 laps.

Hour 21-23: Raining again! Race pretty much over. Basically consolidated my lead to about 4 laps and just cruising on inters.

Hour 24: Cruising home in the rain to the checkered flag! Crossing the line in formation with my Audi R10 teammate (who finished 7th)

Overall I completed 356 laps with a fast lap of 3:29.262. Great race with a lot of flat out racing, changing weather, and strategy. Hope they patch in the in race save soon Ha!

Sounds great, I am dying to do this and the Nurb 24 but only being able to get on for an hour or two every couple of days theres no way I would leave the PS3 on for two weeks and risk a power outage, etc during the race. As soon as (if they ever) implement mid-endurance saves Im all over these two. Thanks for sharing.

I know, I'be been waiting for the in race save to come, but I couldn't wait any longer. The 24 Hours of Le Mans was like the whole reason I got gt5. I just set aside a weekend, got inspired, and did it..... I was just praying my power didn't go out or something especially in like hour 23. Hopefully the in race save comes soon so I can do the race again.

Back