San Francisco, CA
Vasco506
Vasc0
Well, this is my review of:
Le Mans 24 Hours

Genre
Racing

The Story
Well, there is really no story, you are just competing in a series, which goes around the globe, and their most famous race is the Le Mans, although you can also do the Petit Le Mans. The game is licensed and has a nice ACO sticker on the front cover.

Audio
I don’t think the car sounds were very authentically created here…it sounds quite blurry, and the only thing I think sounds authentic is the shifting, although it is still a bit blurry. When comparing to other games of it’s type, it is behind on audio.

Gameplay
You progress your way on, and you start out racing in the GT series with the most basic cars, and as you win races you gain access to more cars and teams. Eventually you will start unlocking the prototypes with roofs and without roofs. You only race with other cars of a similar class, so there is no real cheating as such, where you pick a fast car (Prototype Coupe) and race it against the slower (GT) classes, and win automatically. The Le Mans 24 hour race has been well does in itself, with night-time coming and the lights going on. You can save when you enter the pits, which I’m sure most people are thankful for. ;) You can do either the full 24 hours, 10 hours, or 24 minutes. As such I haven’t tried the Petit Le Mans yet :embarrassed: but will make sure to soon.
Tracks are also licensed, and there are about 12 circuits. There are 70 cars total in the game, although some are identical except for a number change. There are 5 modes to choose from, Quick Race, Championship, Le Mans, Multiplayer, and Time Trial. Unfortunately there is not damage, only the tires…but that doesn’t really count. Physics feel quite smooth, although the cars feel a bit "elongated". The AI responds quite well, with three different difficulty settings, although i could still beat them without a very hard challenge. Pit scenes are animated, and i do congratulate infogrames for that.

Replay Value
The only replay value I found was racing the Le Mans 24 hours, or the Petit Le Mans, with different cars from the different classes.

Graphics
Graphics were a bit above average at the time, but now I’d say average. Nothing really outstanding to be found, and when you look behind (O) the car looks stretched out. The lights when on, don’t look to authentic, they look like big blobs on the car when you are looking behind onto the pack.

Load times
Okay. Load times are shockers. Below average easily, I’m pretty sure no game has longer loading times. Not even WRC I. It takes about 5 minutes to load onto the starting screen, and then there’s loading the actual races!

Special Features
The Le Mans 24 Hour race would have to be this game’s most stunning feature. See above for more information.

Pros
-Fully licensed
-24 Hour Mode!
-70 cars

Cons
-12 tracks
-Half the cars are repeated
-No damage
-Lights are shockers
-Loading times are shockers.

Summary
Had a lot of potential, but the graphics and lights could’ve done with a bit more work. It’s only saving grace is the amount of cars and the 24 hour mode.

Rating

Aim: 7/10
Audio: 5/10
Gameplay: 8/10
Replay Value: 7/10
Graphics: 5/10

64%

how are the physics and AI? how is the overall driving experience?

I am a little confused on these le mans games. There was a le mans game for dreamcast originally that seemed like it was pretty good. I think this ps2 version is a port of that. Then this game was also on pc. But there was a really crappy le mans PC game that came ou at the same time with a similar name. Maybe it was test drive: le mans, becuase I know the test drive games are ****.

anyway, if someone could straighten this out..........

also, does the momo force work with this game? I am trying to find some games to use my new wheel with. only good ones though, I dont like playing ****, .....i like ****ting it.

The PS2 version is a port of the PC game, Le Mans 24 hours. I'm pretty sure that it isn't at all related to the dreamcast and test drive series. Momo force compatible? Nope. It says only analog controllers.

Will have to put physics and AI in...:embarrassed:

I was amazed at some of the old cars in there - I screamed in delight when the ol' Jag XJR-9LM came out.

I did win the 24 hours in that thing - at full length. You need to run with traction control - I would really like to run this game with the GT Force wheel - sadly not an option.

I hope there's a re-release of this with GT Force compatibility.

Actually Dodge this game originated on the Dreamcast and the PS2 and PC versions are ports. Haven't played the PC, but the PS2 port is generally inferior.
It had the test drive name slapped on it for the Dreamcast because they thought that would sell more copies (little did they know that most serious racing fans generally dislike the Test Drive series.)

Oh ok, thanks for the info...i thought the PS2 version was a port of the PC version, because i think i've seen a Test Drive: Le Mans on PC also.

As far as I know this game is a sequel to the PS1 game not having played the PS2 one yet I couldnt compare the 2 but it sounds like a similar concept.
In the PS1 version there were 3 different championships gt class (porsche 911s, Marcos etc..) prototypes, and full on le mans stylee cars (Toyota GT1s etc..) and 2 difficulty levels the tracks tho were all made up out of bits of the Le Mans circuit with the exception of the Bugati which is real, there was also a full 24 hours race with all 3 classes racing at once.
The graphics were pretty lame even at the time as was the sound it was also really easy and very boring the races being to long. On the other hand it was fairly playable if you had finished all your other games.
Does anybody else remember this one?

I got this today (birthday and all..) and I must say, this game has a lot of potential, but it really lets me down.

The graphics are no GT3, and neither are the car physics.

But if I could combine this game with GT3, it would be my perfect car sim.

I never saw the PC version of the PS2 game - I have the PC version of the old PSX game, which is crap (lucky I paid about $5 for it).

I would love to see a PC version of the PS2 game.

Re the graphics - Le Mans was one of the very early PS2 game. I thought it looked fine at the time, although the ground obviously shifted once GT3 came onto the market.

I think it was a follow on from the PSOne game - it's a Melbourne House game isn't it, just like Grand Prix Challenge.

I'd love to see an updated version.

Liquidyellow - do you see any irony in complaining about race length in a game called Le Mans 24 Hours? Heh...

Originally posted by vat_man
Re the graphics - Le Mans was one of the very early PS2 game. I thought it looked fine at the time, although the ground obviously shifted once GT3 came onto the market.

Yeah, I was shocked to see it was a purple disc, I thought this was a recent game! :embarrassed:

Originally posted by vat_man
I'd love to see an updated version.

Me too, like I said, lots of potential.

Isn't it blue? :P

Yeh, this game would be a great one with updated graphics, physics, and the biggest one of all - LESS loading times. ;)

When you use the "look behind car" view the bonnet of every car loooks very elongated, that's something I noticed a while ago...:irked:

I really enjoyed this game. My friends and I were the first of the people I know to complete and place first in a Le Mans Race under "real life" stipulations.

Stipulations
1. Closed Prototype (Toyota GT1)
2.No Pausing
3.Pit for everything. Including bathroom breaks, driver changes, rest eyes, normal pit work.
4. Three individual drivers, 8 hour shifts.
5. Racing Wheel and virtual cockpit. (It was a blast)

The surround sound and mountain dew coupled with the virtual cockpit and big screen tv were enough to keep us up to win the race.

Semper Fidelis
Shadow Drifter

Back