Learning Curve w/ G27 (Day 1)

• Thread starter TheIshter
  • 18 comments
TheIshter
Hello, this is one of my first posts here on the forum. :dopey:

I was just wondering if you guys can judge my learning curve since I'm afraid that I'm really behind with the times.

For judgment purposes, I'll give background information:

-G27 just arrived today. It's my first wheel and first taste at a manual (I still have a learner's license and our car is automatic).

-I rented GT5 Prologue for the sake of tasting what GT5 will be like. I have never tried/owned GT5 Prologue before today.

-I've been playing for about 5 hours after the picture had been taken (see below). I played with all aids off, professional physics, etc. etc.

Here's my time trial with the 350Z (2'00.885), and was wondering if I'm doing well or if I need some more practice time:

IMG_1391.jpg

It's day one, don't worry about lap times yet! :lol: Enjoy the new leather smell at least...
Once you go to sleep and wake up seconds will drop off your time, but considering your expience you are doing very good! 👍

BTW I received my G27 a couple days back and only used it once also. :cheers:

BTW I received my G27 a couple days back and only used it once also. :cheers:

Cheers! Haha, I should take your advice then. The first 10 minutes, I gave it a try on the Daytona oval and spun out three times in a minute. It's unbelievable, almost threw my wheel out the window. :yuck:

Last edited:
Cheers! Haha, I should take your advice then. The first 10 minutes, I gave it a try on the Daytona oval and spun three times in a minute. It's unbelievable, almost threw my wheel out the window. :yuck:

:lol: I understand! After 1 1/2 years using a G25 I still want to body slam the wheel sometimes. Wait until you are trying to get just one tenth faster over a 2 minute lap, you will question your sanity.

I'm following man, I will be transferring to the G27 soon also so I'm looking for any advice I can get :D

I like the video, I can tell it might take me longer because I am not used to driving with a clutch.

Keep it up 👍

I'm following man, I will be transferring to the G27 soon also so I'm looking for any advice I can get :D

I like the video, I can tell it might take me longer because I am not used to driving with a clutch.

Keep it up 👍

It will take a little while to better your controller times with a wheel. I know from experience on GT4. I hated my G25 on GT4, until I figured out how to properly use a wheel. Less is more as far as steering. On turn-in, just barely turn the wheel, and as you start through the corner, you can adjust how much wheel turn you need (if that makes since). Another thing is you have alot more throttle control, so use it. Don't just slam the throttle on exit or you will spin. Brakes are tricky to get a good handle on. You can't just slam on them, or you will lock them up, and most likely end up in the wall or sand. I kind of squeeze the brakes, if that makes sense (listen to what the car is doing, and feel it through the wheel). As for using the clutch, first practice using the h-pattern shifter without using the clutch just to get a feel of that (R35 GT-R is a good car because of not being able to use the clutch). Once you get used to shifting with the h-pattern, start activating the clutch, and start out smooth and not worrying about lap times.

I bought a G27 a few weeks ago as an upgrade from a DFP. The transition was seamless really, aside from the brake pedal being as progressive as it is. The steering was absolutely great with the FFB. The G27 steers much easier, way less noise, and way less restrictions too. The best part is the wheel is very comfortable for endurance races. I raced in F1 2010 for over 3 hours with it and felt fine after. The rubber wheel on the DFP made my hands sore.

I missed a few gears here and there, but I figured that was just gonna happen at the start. Downshifting through the gears took a few corners to get right, but I feel I got used to it pretty quick. I wanted to make sure I got some good sessions in GT5P with the new wheel before GT5 came along. GT5 is going to be amazing with this new wheel. I'm sure you will enjoy it even more as you get more accustomed to it.

Hang in there, believe me its worth it in the end.

Many times I've sat there and thought that I've had enough of trying to get the hang of the wheel. I had all golds on standard with the pad before I bought a wheel.It has taken me longer than I thought to get on with the very high PP cars. TT's were improving with lower to mid PP cars so much that I was on most of the TT leaderboards I'd attempted. Not high up but that wasn't my aim. It was just to get on as many boards as cars I'd driven if you get my meaning.

I couldn't for the life of me complete S10 on Pro without having a major FUBU. 14th was a common finish for me. I then found that you can TT on the online races at 700pp and 800pp. That was the breakthrough for me. It only took me about 3 months to find that out :(

It let me practice with the fastest cars with a "decent" tyre setup. Now guys on here can drive these monsters on N2's and N3's but me I needed the R1's.

I still hav'nt an S10 Gold on Pro with the wheel but at least now 80% of the time I'm in the top 5 and can catch the over/unders to avoid those irritating mess ups. Well most of the time :)

Really at the moment I love the wheel and I don't think I'd ever go back to the pad.

6th day with GT5P and G27, and I'm happily seeing improvements in how I react to spinning out. Criticisms are appreciated! I, for one, think that my heel toe is pretty weak. The extra spacing on the G27 pedals might be a negative rather than a feature. Any thoughts? I might just re-mount the accelerator pedal to have it on the same level as the other pedals just like the G25.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J_6-IbKz40

I'm sure you will enjoy it even more as you get more accustomed to it.

I've started to catch some short skids, and it's pretty rewarding the feeling of saving yourself from spinning out.

It let me practice with the fastest cars with a "decent" tyre setup. Now guys on here can drive these monsters on N2's and N3's but me I needed the R1's.

Yeah, it's a bit overwhelming the people over here. I really can't wait for the full game, since I have to return GT5P to the store now, it was rented. :(

I am very new to my G27 as well in prep for granturismo 5. I was doing horribly at first but now I am basically very competitive online with probably only about 4-5 hours of seat time. However drifting is entire other issue lol

^ I too haven't even bothered with drifting. Prior with a pad or now that I use a wheel. I bet I could learn something from it.

Downshifting through the gears took a few corners to get right, but I feel I got used to it pretty quick.

I'm really worried about this. My G27 is sitting in it's box and I descided that I'll wait till I have my Playseat before I set it up.

Still using DFGT with paddles.

hi ive got a g25 and ive noticed from your videos when you change gear your not pressing the clutch all the way down on gt5p it doesn't matter because its a analog clutch (either on or off) but its a bad habbit to get into i used to do it then when i was driving a real car i messed up gear changes just a heads up just work on smoothness of everything gear changing and heel-toeing and speed comes with practice

Last edited:
Nice cockpit, but a couple of thingies. Your gear lever is on the wrong side. Also, if you put it by your waist, you can get used to driving a real manual.

Nice cockpit, but a couple of thingies. Your gear lever is on the wrong side. Also, if you put it by your waist, you can get used to driving a real manual.

I like it on the right. Once I can pull off fast times, then I'll learn to shift with the shifter on the left.

Also, the cockpit is unfinished. I'll be recreating the shifter position like on chilicoke's cockpit. I HATE seeing the shifter positioned at the very bottom by the seat. It's too low in my opinion.

I've been playing on GTR Evo while waiting for GT5. I quite like it, but the pc sim racing feels so lonely compared to GT5's graphical presentation.

I got my G27 last week after my G25 sadly died (acceleration failure) :(. Good thing my warranty still had another year :). Anyway I first started on Fuji with the 599 all aids off etc. At the beginning I was trying to chuck the car into corners with a lot of speed which meant I was turning the wheel quite vigorously. This week however I've decided to stop being so aggressive. I can say it has paid off. The trick with any track is to be smooth and gentle with the car controls, brakes included.
I found that I was using the brakes too much and was loosing a bit of time through the corners.
Same story with the throttle, stamping on the gas and exiting the corner with a small slide doesn't help with the times.
The gear changes I was trying to achieve as well weren't good either. I was shifting either too fast or releasing the clutch to early, trying to get back on the accelerator, usually resulting in me going into neutral.

You're doing well. :) Keep up the good driving.

EDIT: I watched your video and it's very impressive. A word of advice though is when you are going through a corner don't step on and off the throttle (watch at 1:58 day 3). Instead when you are going to take your foot off the throttle only step off the gas a little so there is still some power whilst going through a corner. I found this can reward the driver with quicker times. Have a practice and try to work at it. However this tip is not necessary. The best tip I can give is to drive the way you feel most comfortable, because this will be your best driving style.

Last edited:
Back