learning curve

• Thread starter DxRxOxS
  • 9 comments
United States
Pennsylvania
patsfan1281
hey guys first post here! i was thinking about trying, or rather investing, in an iracing account. I currently play F1 2012/2013 and I am actually quite good as most of us probably are. My question is how much of a learning curve is there from F1 2013 to iracing? I play F1 with all the assists off and use the DFGT and pedals, when im not using a DS3 :P

In my opinion what a new to iracing person needs is to relearn how to race clean. Not GT5 clean racing, but absolutely clean racing. You want zero contact in iracing. Car contact in iracing almost always ends in race ending damage. It sounds easy enough, but you really do need to rethink how your gonna pass someone. Other than that I think everything else carries over pretty well.

I currently play F1 2012/2013 and I am actually quite good as most of us probably are.
Depends on how smooth you are, if you are an 'alien' in GT/F1 and you're very smooth already, you'd be quick. I only know of F1 games by a demo of 2013 (I think) that I've tried, and it seemed similar to gt5/6, in the sense that tracks are glass-smooth and one can get away with pretty jerky inputs. There are still benefits from being smooth in those games, but the benefits are orders of magnitude larger in iRacing.

I'm modestly quick in GT, I'm pretty average in iRacing. Do not come in expecting to be quick right of the bat, focus in finishing races at first.
My question is how much of a learning curve is there from F1 2013 to iracing? I play F1 with all the assists off and use the DFGT and pedals, when im not using a DS3 :P
Techniques are the same, but you have to be much-much smoother to be quick. And tracks are bumpy, so you can't take the same lines you're taking in F1/GT games.

thanks for the input guys! I'm fairly smooth around most circuits in F1 once I get the hang of them. I try to be as smooth as possible when applying the throttle and brakes as too much can lead to wheelspin and lockup in F1 2013. with TC off the throttle is quite sensitive and its easy to spin out if you just mash the gas. ive trained myself over time to feather the throttle and brake and now i very rarely spin due to wheelspin or the like. it seems like this should help me with iracing. has anyone driven the williams F1 in iracing?

has anyone driven the williams F1 in iracing?

It's orders of magnitude more difficult to be quick in the Williams than in F1 2013. Also, one crash of pretty much any severity and the car is broken.

Well, although it's exaggerated, the do call iRacing "IceRacing" for a reason. You'll learn that soon when you drive the MX-5. If you haven't driven much other than F1 type cars, you'll also soon enjoy the fun that comes with lack of downforce/grip and really start to appreciate the very fast guys on iRacing. :)

Its easy to spin out if you just mash the gas. ive trained myself over time to feather the throttle and brake and now i very rarely spin due to wheelspin or the like. it seems like this should help me with iracing. has anyone driven the williams F1 in iracing?

Join us for best 100-101 dumps exam solution. Our SAP pdf contains all the required Columbia University study material that you may need to pass real exam. See more detail about this products on wikipedia

Last edited:
There is one great thing about the F1. Everyone overdrives it.

Teach yourself to keep it on the track for the length of a race, even if it means going multiple seconds a lap slower than everyone else, and you're pretty much guaranteed a mid-field finish. It's so easy for damage to end your race that the attrition rate is enormous.

I have to say, coming back to iRacing last night I personally think the Williams F1 is perhaps the worst car in the sim, I'm sure there are some people that enjoy it but from a sim to real world comparison perspective it's so far from reality in the way it drives and reacts and the way it's driven.

I'm aware the car has the new tyre model, now when I last drove it the car was on the original old tyre model, it feels very similar now actually only the tyres do more unpredictable things and are more sensitive, it's hard to really put into words the exact experience I'm talking about but I guess if you drive it you will understand how it feels and reacts for yourself.

I'm not only finding myself slower than I used to be at iRacing but just slow in general, typically in all the other sims I drive (Rfactor 2, Simraceway, Netkar Pro, Assetto Corsa, GT6, Project Cars) I can jump in and almost immediately feel at home and quickly dial myself in (some more than others, but you get the idea). In iRacing though I feel like I'm constantly at the mercy of unpredictable things happening and strange physics behaviour.

It was suggested that the best car is the Spec Racer Ford... and true to the word it's both very different to how I remember it on the old tyre model and very different to the other experiences I've had in the last day within iRacing... Infact the SRF feels strangely like Assetto Corsa.

Anyway, I feel the learning curve in iRacing is a very strange one, when I joined in 2010 I was much less experienced with sim racing and the quality of sims around at the time was not as high. I must have adapted to iRacing specifically, which is a very different experience to driving other sims, I stopped playing iRacing when the new tyre model was new because to be honest it was a mess.

I came back hoping that the tyre model had been sorted but really if the Williams F1 is anything to go by then they have a lot of work to do, the SRF on the other hand was great, so maybe they are getting there.

To be successful at iRacing you need to get in a lot of seat time. Regardless if you are really good at another sim, nothing is quite like iRacing. I practiced for almost a year before my first race. A person should be able to go 20 laps without an incident. Nothing can replace good racecraft then practice.

On a side note, I was practicing at Watkins last night in the Grand AM series and we had a full field of 30 cars, it was a disaster, there were cars flying through the air, bouncing off walls. I don't know what it is about Watkins, it is a easy track to race on, until you get 4 or 5 folks that don't know how to race. Total crashfest, I hope I can make it in a top split.

Back