Learning how to drive Standard (Manual)

Messages
23
Messages
jerryaldaz@yahoo.com
So all my life I have driven Automatic, but I was wondering if I could actually learn how to drive Standard through Gran Turismo?

I was thinking of buying the Driving Force GT but I heard a lot of people saying that the shifter is inadequate.

I don't have money to the the G25 or G27.

Also, standard seems much more complicated because I hear people discussing torque, rpm, etc. (Which I have no idea how that works)

So I guess my question is that if I buy a DFGT could I learn Standard?
 
Well you'd be missing a clutch, which is a big part of driving manual. That said, the clutch on GT5 is a simple on/off mechanism which isn't quite right either.
 
I think learning how to drive a manual gearbox on GT5 will give you the knowledge and sequence of action, BUT.. I don't think it'll actually "teach" you how to drive standard.

but once you have the concept of it down, there's no reason why you couldn't get into a real car and try it yourself.

I tought myself how to drive stick. I knew "how" (from watching my parents drive and from riding ATV's and Dirtbikes), I had just never done it in a car before.
 
Well you'd be missing a clutch, which is a big part of driving manual. That said, the clutch on GT5 is a simple on/off mechanism which isn't quite right either.


Oh, I thought the clutch was functional in GT5?
 
Well from my understanding, the clutch is simply the pedal that allows the gear to change, correct?

So are you saying I couldn't control revving if I had the DFTG?


Does the G25 have it?
 
The clutch (in real life) is an integral part of taking off and stopping.
 
Oh, I thought the clutch was functional in GT5?

Apparently the pedal works, but I hear it just triggers on and off, it's not gradual. I don't have one myself, I read it on here somewhere.
 
So the game practically presses the clutch automatically and all I would have to do is the shifting?
 
The clutch is not on/off, it has slippage. However, the "slip zone" is so small compared to a real commercial vehicle that it's not really relevant for takeoff practice.
 
the DFGT for me made the step to manual transmission 10x easier. it just felt natural.
 
What is the "slip zone"
Sorry if I appear like an idiot, like I said I have always driven automatic
 
If you want to learn to drive a manuel car, go in empty parking lot and at each line you do a stop and go. Repeat this until you are good enough. After do the same but 1 time foward 1 time backward. Its how I made my ex girlfriend learn manuel transmission. It take her like 1h to be good and a lot of &$%@*?$% lol. This was the best way to start training without any stress.


You will never learn how to drive a manuel car without real road training. You can't learn this in GT5 even with the G25/27. I have the G27 and never own an automatic car, manuel is the real thing, you don't know how to drive until you learn manuel transmission.
 
Last edited:
before i learned to drive, i used a G25, and it really helped me.

It teaches you where the gears are in a manual, and how to use the clutch, even if its not 100% accurate.

you cant do it with a DFGT, because it has a sequential shifter ( up, down ), and no clutch, so doesent represent driving a normal car at all. ( unless you have a supercar with paddle shifters lol )
 
Back