Learning to change gear at the right time saves you 10ths per lap

• Thread starter mattikake
  • 29 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
To I imagine, all of the fast guys this is not news but I was a bit surprised how a lot of people don't know this, so I made a vid.

The flashing gear shift indicator is not always the best guide on when to shift. Some cars benefit from being under revved or over revved. Every time I'm about to start a new championship, this is the very first thing I do.

So I always go to route X and do some 1km drags shifting at different times and comparing the results in share factory. All I did was add a voice over.

I used to use gt-engine for an idea, but I think the GT7 database is still being collated. However, actually doing it gives you the full picture. Practice is pointless without knowing the car.

To I imagine, all of the fast guys this is not news but I was a bit surprised how a lot of people don't know this, so I made a vid.

The flashing gear shift indicator is not always the best guide on when to shift. Some cars benefit from being under revved or over revved. Every time I'm about to start a new championship, this is the very first thing I do.

So I always go to route X and do some 1km drags shifting at different times and comparing the results in share factory. All I did was add a voice over.

I used to use gt-engine for an idea, but I think the GT7 database is still being collated. However, actually doing it gives you the full picture. Practice is pointless without knowing the car.

It’s amazing what the right shifting point can do. The difference between engine aspiration type/cc/cylinders can give you a good starting point but I tend to look at the ecu in the settings which shows the HP/Torque curves. Once you know where the peak of both lines meet, then you can hopefully try to determine which force is the most effective for the current situation. Your approach is much more thorough than mine for sure 🍻do you happen to have a list of the cars that you have already tested ?

Mattikake, why didn't you 1v1 @Pigems?
I was quite looking forward to the duel.
Aidy Bryant Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

🫣👀🍻

It’s amazing what the right shifting point can do. The difference between engine aspiration type/cc/cylinders can give you a good starting point but I tend to look at the ecu in the settings which shows the HP/Torque curves. Once you know where the peak of both lines meet, then you can hopefully try to determine which force is the most effective for the current situation. Your approach is much more thorough than mine for sure 🍻do you happen to have a list of the cars that you have already tested ?

Nah too many cars to test. I just do it on a car I know I'm going to have the race aliens in championships, not just to have a fighting chance, but also because you know they already know optimal shift times. It's easy to do by yourself, which was the main point of that video, because I've been asked to do some driver coaching and I'm not going through that every time when they can do it themselves. You know, teach a man to fish kind of thing.

I'm also quite selective on cars I drive too. I HATE GT3 cars for many many reasons so I won't have any data on them.

1v1? What was that? I don't get on here much.

Nah too many cars to test. I just do it on a car I know I'm going to have the race aliens in championships, not just to have a fighting chance, but also because you know they already know optimal shift times. It's easy to do by yourself, which was the main point of that video, because I've been asked to do some driver coaching and I'm not going through that every time when they can do it themselves. You know, teach a man to fish kind of thing.

I'm also quite selective on cars I drive too. I HATE GT3 cars for many many reasons so I won't have any data on them.

1v1? What was that? I don't get on here much.

I had challenged you to some 1vs1 racing, to see for myself how “clean” of a driver you are, you never replied.

Last edited:
Oh I see. Well I'm in various private communities running championships. You don't get to do that unless you're clean. Various videos on my yt channel will prove that anyway.
You should consider the 1v1 it doesn’t take much time and really it’s just for the fun of friendly competition.
Plus it would be good YouTube content for you 🍻. @Pigems is a great guy and a decent driver. Wait I got that last part backwards😜 nice video btw 🍻
Edit. My bad the video was from a different person.

Last edited:
Oh I see. Well I'm in various private communities running championships. You don't get to do that unless you're clean. Various videos on my yt channel will prove that anyway.

That wasn’t the question, are you going to man up and show up to race? Or are you gonna check it out?? If you’re as clean as you claim you are, then you’ll come out and prove it on live stream. Otherwise stop making claims that can’t be proven.

Last edited:
Hmm... The lack of friendliness dished out on this forum doesn't motivate me tbh. But if copious video evidence isn't enough for you, sure find me online. I'm often in public lobbies, having clean races.

Oh hang on, on a live stream? So is that an attempt at expected entrapment, so then people can gang up and abuse someone? You know bullying is illegal, right?

Honestly, it's like children going down the park for an after school fight.

Last edited:
Hmm... The lack of friendliness dished out on this forum doesn't motivate me tbh. But if copious video evidence isn't enough for you, sure find me online. I'm often in public lobbies, having clean races.

Oh hang on, on a live stream? So is that an attempt at expected entrapment, so then people can gang up and abuse someone? You know bullying is illegal, right?

Honestly, it's like going down the park for an after school fight.

What are you on about? It’s me and you in a lobby, that’s it. Yeah I’ll be streaming it, but there won’t be anyone bullying anyone, I can assure you that, because there won’t be anyone else there. You pick the first combo, I’ll pick the second one. 1 lap races, best 4 of 7, we get one hot lap for pole on the first race, and then pole rotates every other race after that. My PSN is Pigems_, you can add me or send me your PSN and I’ll add you, so we can make it a private lobby.

The lack of friendliness dished out on this forum
Given that you've been responsible for a sufficient amount of it that I can assign direct numerical values to how much, this is a laughable thing for you to even contemplate posting, let alone following through on it.

Iron Man Laundry GIF

Given that you've been responsible for a sufficient amount of it that I can assign direct numerical values to how much, this is a laughable thing for you to even contemplate posting, let alone following through on it.

Iron Man Laundry GIF

I post a helpful video and it quickly degenerates into harassment that had nothing to do with the original post. How do you think that feels?

I haven't been abusive, aggressive, derogatory or harassed anyone.

Last edited:
I post a helpful video and it quickly degenerates into harassment that had nothing to do with the original post. How do you think that feels?

Maybe not today, but your past posts don’t just disappear overnight. People remember you, and the things you’ve said in the past, Mr, I’m too good of a driver to use my radar in traffic, the contacts are everyone else’s fault, not mine.

Which is why I offered you to come “prove it”, live, instead of just talking about.

Last edited:
That wasn’t the question, are you going to man up and show up to race? Or are you gonna check it out?? If you’re as clean as you claim you are, then you’ll come out and prove it on live stream. Otherwise stop making claims that can’t be proven.
He wants to know if you're clean. Just do the official 'hood vaccination: circle circle, dot dot. Now I've got my cootie shot. All good.

This time, yet.

Last edited:
Me neither, at least so far today lol. I was being genuine about considering it and all that stuff.

Here’s our 1v1. It’s uncut and long but you can get a feel of what to expect if you’re interested at all.

I was a little hesitant about it at first, because like you I felt a little ganged up on but decided to give it a go ( even though in my case I pretty much knew I had no chance after looking at our experience with the game. I was new to online gaming. Anyway to make a short story long 🫣
I had a good time and ended up racing with him and a bunch of other good people in lobbies. 🍻 I can only share my own experience.

Back