Left-hand Turn 1 in Mt. Aso and/or Eifel?

• Thread starter BrandonW77
  • 19 comments
United States
Indianapolis
BrandonW77
So, I've been losing myself for hours in the Course Maker recently, getting some fantastic results too! As long as your patient and willing to trial/error there's some great tracks to be had from here.

But I've run into something kind of frustrating. On both the Mt. Aso and Eifel maps I always end up with a right-hand first turn so a lot of my tracks look really similar until you get into turn 2 or 3. After that, variety aplenty! But I'd like it if all my tracks from those 2 maps didn't have the same turn 1. Has anybody gotten any left-handed turn 1's in either of those maps? If so, is there a secret to getting it or just trial and error?

I've got a few that have left hand turns for turn 1 and the last turn at Mt. Aso (not both at the same time though). it seems ramdom, But when I find a combo with a left turn I try to make it work. I find them by scrolling through all the combos one after another.

With the Eifel theme I haven't had any luck getting left turns.

I hate getting the same corners over and over on turn 1 and the last turn.

I have a few with left-hand first turns in Eifel. But it's maybe 1% at most. Often there is a left kink followed by a right turn, which I still consider a right first turn.

Yes, that's my issue too. I keep scrolling through and always end up with a right-hand Turn 1 on those maps and they all end up with front stretch's that look exactly the same. Mt. Aso always has that long, hilly front straight and that gets old. I also try to get interesting final turns, that seems a little more possible then the elusive left-hand Turn 1, but it's still few and far between. Glad to see I'm not the only one experiencing this. Seems like that's a small oversight but it's something that could eventually limit the usefulness of the course maker. If all my courses end up with the same Turn 1 eventually I'll probably give up. lol

Yeah I've gotten 3 times a track with a proper 1st left-turn and some more with a chicane-type left turn so yeah its possible, the thing i would love to have is a Mugello-type circuit where the last sector "envelopes" the main straight

Great to hear that it is possible! Thanks for the feedback guys. If I know that I can get a left-hand turn 1 than I'm more than willing to do some trial and error testing until I find a couple. Not that I have anything against right-hand turns, it's just that's all that I was getting on those 2 maps. Now if I could just find a Mt. Aso layout that doesn't have the roller-coaster front stretch! lol 👍

I have a bunch of first left hand corners on Mt. Aso.
But most of these tracks are very extreme... On one of them, before the first turn you go up he hill a bit, and then suddenly you go down. About 10m elevation change just on that corner.

Well I did some searching on the Eifel map and found some that didn't have immediate right-handed turn 1's! They actually all came out quite nicely and the variety added by having different scenery at turn 1 is great!

Here's one:
imagefg.jpg

And another. This one has an incredible downhill plunge at the end of sector 1 and through sector 2:
imagerx.jpg

This one runs right up next to the Castle that you can always see on the Eifel maps, really cool scenery!
imagedo.jpg

And here's the view of the Castle:
imagehe.jpg

👍

B

Those are what I refer to as left kinks. I have several of those. But a true left-hand corner of greater than 45 degrees is very rare.

I think I got one that does have a better left hand turn, more than just a kink. I just forgot to take a picture of it. I'll try to get one next time I have it on. A kink is more than enough though, I wasn't looking to get a counter-clockwise track, just some different scenery at turn 1 for some of the tracks. I have found several track layouts at Toscana that have left-hand turns 1's and are counter-clockwise though. That map seems to be more flexible.

I think it's crazy you cannot choose clockwise/anti-clockwise, but perhaps this propensity towards right-hand turn ones on these environments is just an indication of how limited the course maker actually is.

I think it's crazy you cannot choose clockwise/anti-clockwise, but perhaps this propensity towards right-hand turn ones on these environments is just an indication of how limited the course maker actually is.

Probably has more to do with the fact that real road courses are clockwise.

Probably has more to do with the fact that real road courses are clockwise.

Perhaps you meant to say "most real road courses", so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, it's still quite a long list of anti-clockwise tracks.

Still quite a ludicrous suggestion, though, that it was a conscious decision to A: Draw these tracks on the same side of the s/f line 9 times out of 10, and B: To not allow people to drive the reverse config, because "most" road courses are clockwise.

It's a custom course maker. They're not going to build something that lets us have complete freedom and then reign it in because oh wait a second "[most] real road courses are clockwise". :)

In the Toscana map there are many possibilities for anti-clockwise tracks, I've created several just to have some variety. We're not saying the course maker is perfect, it does leave some to be desired but that doesn't mean it can't be used. I've come up with some simply amazing creations working within the limitations. I have to assume that generating these tracks demands a lot of resources from the system and that is the source of some of the limitations. So for now I'll continue to work with what we have.

Here is a sample of a track I created over the weekend that does have more of a proper left-hand turn 1 and not just a simple "jog". It's not an anti-clockwise track, but the variety it creates is still welcome, even if it does require some patience.

imagelny.jpg

Hi guys, i'm having some of these left kinks and combined with the right corners in the track they generate some really good results... I'm in love with this special track that is being shared by me... it has some really fast chicanes, and one of them its made by a really quick left kink then a right one in a fast elevation change... cutting-jumping it @ 250kmh is awesomelly fun... the track has another trick in the middle section...

The track layout may look simple, but when driving its another story... in some parts its really technical and tricky.

The Nutcracker (as you can see PD censored the "cracker")

k9KwD.jpg

Here are some videos I shot of a few of the tracks I made. There's a couple that show left-hand turn 1's, one that's an anti-clockwise track at Toscana, one that's a hill-climb and a long kart track. Nothing fancy, just held my iPhone in front of the tv but they're good enough to see the tracks. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPus-n33zYM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxLa5AHeWZc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP2OjSb_DMM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0xUXhJuQQM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srXOKfaje1I

I stumbled on a good combination for making left turn ones at eifel. 4 segments with a 9 or 10 complexity segment 1. Last night I made 4 in just a few minutes.

I have one of them shared right now. It's called Left For Dead. It's a wide fast track for Super GT, LM, and Formula cars.

Last edited:
The best combination I've found is 6 or 7 sections - I tend to get plenty of left handers with this. A naff pic of one below:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

To counter the increased length from having many sections, I tend to keep plenty of long open straights interwoven with complexes. This has turned into a favourite track, thanks to the tightening then opening first corner (with a left kink before it) and the lightning fast flat out chicane at the end of the lap.

If anyone wants a run, feel free to add me - psn goddessloviatar ..

Back