Leg Support for Sciatica Problems?

GrumpyOldMan

Premium
United States
Southern California
dagware
I'm using the term "sciatica" here without having spoken to a doctor, so I may not have diagnosed myself properly. But I'm having pain along my left butt cheek and left leg (which I brake with), and I think it's due to not having enough support under my left thigh. The right leg was bothering me too, but I've repositioned my pedals and I think that problem's solved, especially since it's mostly pedal-to-the-metal for the right leg/foot.

I can't really reposition my seat and pedals any further because my knee will hit the steering wheel support panel. I could possibly tilt the seat back to raise the front, but I don't want to lean back that far.

So I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for how to add some support under the left thigh. Any ideas?

But I'm having pain along my left butt cheek and left leg
Sounds a lot like sciatica to me since I get it on occasions. It's a litteral pain in the arse (and legs). I once had it for 2 ½ years, it wasn't pleasant!

However it's not generally caused by lack of support for the thigh, it's usually the nerves in the lower spine getting irritated in some way that's the trigger. Although you say that you don't want to tilt the seat back, doing that might actually help reduce pressure on the spine. You could perhaps try some extra lumber support, that might help. In fact a combination of tilt and support might be good.

Sounds a lot like sciatica to me since I get it on occasions. It's a litteral pain in the arse (and legs). I once had it for 2 ½ years, it wasn't pleasant!

However it's not generally caused by lack of support for the thigh, it's usually the nerves in the lower spine getting irritated in some way that's the trigger. Although you say that you don't want to tilt the seat back, doing that might actually help reduce pressure on the spine. You could perhaps try some extra lumber support, that might help. In fact a combination of tilt and support might be good.
Thanks for the response! I just ordered a GT Omega Prime cockpit, so I think I'll be able to get in a good position with that, especially since the seat reclines.

If you suspect sciatica, then really you should give sim racing a miss until you have sorted it out. Sitting down for any length of time at all is just about the worst thing you can do for anyone with sciatica.

You also say you have had issues on both sides. That is a sure sign that you must see a doctor about this as soon as possible.

If you suspect sciatica, then really you should give sim racing a miss until you have sorted it out. Sitting down for any length of time at all is just about the worst thing you can do for anyone with sciatica.
Heaven Forbid! Although I suspect you're right.
You also say you have had issues on both sides. That is a sure sign that you must see a doctor about this as soon as possible.
I'll be seeing a doctor in two weeks. Thanks!

I forgot all about this thread until someone "liked" my last post. Here's an update:

I received the GT Omega Prime. I love it, although it took a while to assemble it, since these old bones don't like the floor much. It didn't solve my sciatica issue, but it helped some by allowing me to get a consistent position for the chair, wheel and pedals. Also, leaning the chair back a little helps take some pressure off my tailbone, which helps.

The thing that really helped is this pillow. It took me a little time to figure out the best position for it on the racing seat, but now that I know exactly where to put it, it makes a big difference.

But the best thing you can do is find some stretching videos on YouTube for people with sciatica, and do them. sciatica is almost gone now.

If I were to make suggestions for other people in this situation, I'd say:

1) YouTube stretching videos.

2) Get a pillow similar to the one I got. Much less expensive than my sim rig.

3) I would not recommend getting a sim rig just to help with your sciatica. But it sure is a lot of fun having it! :lol:

Back