Legendary Kyoto Animation on fire(arson) 13 confirmed dead(30 injured).

23 dead already. :(

One of my favorite anime studios. Horrible news. What a bastard.

When I first saw the news about arson of KyoAni this morning, I first thought “Ahaha, somebody is angry about K-On not having the 3rd season?”. But when info about deaths came up, it’s no longer funny...

An animation studio? Why would the guy do such a thing? Ex-emplyee?
No.
They say he did it to get into news.

I hope this arsonist gets the maximum sentence available for the 23 people he murdered.

I hope this arsonist gets the maximum sentence available for the 23 people he murdered.

He'll almost certainly be given the death sentence. People have been hanged for much less in the recent past. Japan really doesn't hold back when it comes to capital punishment, even if you've only killed 1 person

Capital punishment is a legal penalty in Japan. It is applied in practice only for murder, and executions are carried out by hanging.

The death penalty is usually reserved for cases of multiple murders, though some single murderers have been executed in extraordinary cases like torture murder or kidnap-for-ransom

I doubt there was a political angle here so it isn't Terrorism it's just mass murder.

Saying it's "just" something doesn't sit well with me, this is very tragic.

Building codes in Japan sound very 1900s level of terrible if all this guy had to do was set one door on fire to kill half of the people in the building because they couldn't even get to the roof and died on the staircase in the process.

Building codes in Japan sound very 1900s level of terrible if all this guy had to do was set one door on fire to kill half of the people in the building because they couldn't even get to the roof and died on the staircase in the process.

Indeed. There's some question about whether or not the escape door at the top of the stairs was open as it should have been. Apparently most of those killed were in the stairwell having reached the door. The stairwell design itself is said to have contributed to the ability of the fire to spread. Given the normal Japanese attitudes to safety in design I'm astonished that there weren't more fire breaks/doors.

He didn't just set one door on fire he set fire to the entire entrance lobby (causing an explosion in the process) and several members of staff using 40 litres of petrol, I think the sheer volume of fuel used contributed to the quick spread of the fire.

That said, the building codes do sound a bit lacking when you consider this quote: "The building did not have fire sprinklers, nor indoor fire hydrants due to its classification as a small office building, but had no deficiencies in fire safety compliance during its last inspection on 17 October 2018". It's crazy to think that a building of that size is seemingly considered too small to have to worry about fire exits.

It's crazy to think that a building of that size is seemingly considered too small to have to worry about fire exits.

Exactly. A place where dozens of people work with an open door policy (for clients and other business related people) being considered as small and safe almost, if not entirely, as a private family house (?).

Exactly. A place where dozens of people work with an open door policy (for clients and other business related people) being considered as small and safe almost, if not entirely, as a private family house (?).
My cousin Karl, a builder and developer by profession, tells me the Japanese have an obsession with (building in) wood.

My cousin Karl, a builder and developer by profession, tells me the Japanese have an obsession with (building in) wood.

They do, it's a cheap and widely available resource. That's why they also have (or so I thought) very strong fire laws. With that said it remains to be seen if human error was partly to blame for the high death toll here - reports suggested that a fire escape which should have been unlocked was locked.

Back