Lego dimensions update issue (Xbox 360)

Touring Mars

ツーリング マルス
Scotland
Glasgow
GTP_Mars
Does anyone have Lego Dimensions for Xbox 360, and if so, how do I download updates? We got an expansion pack (Back To The Future) and we can't enter the level as it says an update is required, but there is no way to update it as far as I can fathom... any help would me most appreciated!

Edit: Fixed... 🤬 Xbox live stupidity

Last edited:
Exasperated with this damn game... Unfortunately my nephew got an expansion pack from his Dad, but you must have an Xbox live account to install the necessary updates... and about 2.5 Gb of hard drive space - which he doesn't have. Frankly it's ridiculous that you need so much space and it takes so long to download the game update, only to discover that the bloody expansion pack still doesn't work. Piece of utter crap.

Hi, Did you manage to get this working, got this for my son and getting same update message, went into game shop told me I needed xbox live for updates for expansion packs, which we haven't got............ told me to connect xbox to router via an Ethernet cable to join xbox live, which didn't work, driving me mad,,,,, old xbox how can we get it to work.... Very mad mum xx

Hi, Did you manage to get this working, got this for my son and getting same update message, went into game shop told me I needed xbox live for updates for expansion packs, which we haven't got............ told me to connect xbox to router via an Ethernet cable to join xbox live, which didn't work, driving me mad,,,,, old xbox how can we get it to work.... Very mad mum xx
Very sorry for the delay in getting back to you... been on holiday and have largely been offline. I did get it working, but it was a bit annoying - did you get it working yet?

You do need an Xbox Live account, and for that you need a Microsoft account - both are free, and you do not need to pay for Xobox Live Gold or anything like that. Obviously, that does mean you need to connect the Xbox to the internet, and by far the easiest/cheapest way to do that is to use an ethernet cable and plug the Xbox straight into your router.

The biggest problem for me was hard drive space. If you have an Xbox 360 Arcade (like us), then you will need an external hard drive of some description, because the updates are huge and will not fit on the Xbox 360's own memory unit. In fact, we couldn't even play the game at all (even without the updates) without some kind of external hard drive since the basic install is something like 540 MB, which is larger than the memory unit on the Xbox 360 Arcade.

The cheapest option is to buy a 4GB USB memory stick and install everything to that - a 2GB stick will not be big enough for the updates you need if you intend to buy any expansions (which of course is the whole point of the game...) A flash drive or external hard drive can plug into the USB port next to where the Lego Dimensions portal plugs in, but there is also a USB port on the back of the Xbox.

We only had a 2GB flash drive which was big enough to allow us to play the game, but not big enough to allow us to install any updates - meaning that the expansion pack my nephew's Dad had bought him couldn't be played until I brought through my Xbox 360 hard drive and put it on my sister's Xbox.The irritating thing is that even with a hard drive, you need to be playing the game while logged into Xbox live in order for the updates to install. Firstly, the game itself will update with a huge 1.2 GB download (which takes over an hour, by the way). Secondly, when you go to try a new level (say for an expansion pack you may have bought), it will then queue up several more downloads which total about another 1.2 GB (another >1 hr wait, and more hard drive space required).

I was annoyed because while the box makes it clear that you need an internet connection, it doesn't explicitly say that you need at least 3GB of hard drive space (which the Xbox 360 Arcade doesn't have) and an active Xbox Live account (which offline users often don't have) and a Microsoft account.

Good luck and I hope you get it working - it is a great game and my nephew and I have enjoyed playing it so far.

Very sorry for the delay in getting back to you... been on holiday and have largely been offline. I did get it working, but it was a bit annoying - did you get it working yet?

You do need an Xbox Live account, and for that you need a Microsoft account - both are free, and you do not need to pay for Xobox Live Gold or anything like that. Obviously, that does mean you need to connect the Xbox to the internet, and by far the easiest/cheapest way to do that is to use an ethernet cable and plug the Xbox straight into your router.

The biggest problem for me was hard drive space. If you have an Xbox 360 Arcade (like us), then you will need an external hard drive of some description, because the updates are huge and will not fit on the Xbox 360's own memory unit. In fact, we couldn't even play the game at all (even without the updates) without some kind of external hard drive since the basic install is something like 540 MB, which is larger than the memory unit on the Xbox 360 Arcade.

The cheapest option is to buy a 4GB USB memory stick and install everything to that - a 2GB stick will not be big enough for the updates you need if you intend to buy any expansions (which of course is the whole point of the game...) A flash drive or external hard drive can plug into the USB port next to where the Lego Dimensions portal plugs in, but there is also a USB port on the back of the Xbox.

We only had a 2GB flash drive which was big enough to allow us to play the game, but not big enough to allow us to install any updates - meaning that the expansion pack my nephew's Dad had bought him couldn't be played until I brought through my Xbox 360 hard drive and put it on my sister's Xbox.The irritating thing is that even with a hard drive, you need to be playing the game while logged into Xbox live in order for the updates to install. Firstly, the game itself will update with a huge 1.2 GB download (which takes over an hour, by the way). Secondly, when you go to try a new level (say for an expansion pack you may have bought), it will then queue up several more downloads which total about another 1.2 GB (another >1 hr wait, and more hard drive space required).

I was annoyed because while the box makes it clear that you need an internet connection, it doesn't explicitly say that you need at least 3GB of hard drive space (which the Xbox 360 Arcade doesn't have) and an active Xbox Live account (which offline users often don't have) and a Microsoft account.

Good luck and I hope you get it working - it is a great game and my nephew and I have enjoyed playing it so far.

Hi Thanks for that,

Am not a very technical mum as far as the Xbox is concerned, and its driven me to distraction, how its not ended up thrown down the garden i'll never know lol..

Game works but like you say not expansion packs because of updates, which my little boy had for Christmas, and all I keep getting is why isn't it working, we also have an arcade and not connected to internet or have a live account,
I went onto their Lego Facebook page, into visitors post and there seems to be quite a few problems..

I think your right, I need to get a :-
Bigger memory stick thingy lol.. and all of what you've said above and hopefully, have a happy little boy. Agree they never said what you needed to do, if it wasn't for my son I would have taken it back, as you know yourself with all extras its not cheap.
Hopefully we will then be sorted, but not looking forward to the time consuming downloads..

Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it, after spending hours with the game and hours on the internet trying to find an answer.

DebBee x

Good luck, and feel free to give me a shout if you need any more help.

I emailed Customer Service at Lego and they did point me in the right direction, but it is still a bit awkward especially if you are unfamiliar with the Xbox. They also agreed that the space requirements need to be made clearer on the packaging and are 'seeking to address the situation'.

Hi folks, I am also struggling with this, Ive worked trying to resolve for one whole week now and my kid cant use his packs from his birthday yet

I can NOT download the latest UPDATE for LEGO DIMENSIONS

(It is supposed to just HAPPEN, but it doesnt and XBOX 360 does not have an option that I can find to force it to happen manually)

I can not do it before I load the game, I can not do it after I load the game and when we put his new figures on the console we get an update required message

In addition to that, I can NOT access the following areas VIA the CONSOLE

Settings -> Privacy, Or ACCOUNT or Profile

Yes we have an extra hard drive, tons of space, that's not the issue. we had to buy it for the updates earlier in the year I think either only 2.6GB is left or was used

Yes we have an Xbox Live account (not paid) and its connecting fine, I tested it

Yes it APPEARS that the XBOX.com account is an Adult Account

Back