Let's discuss the company PD hates most, McLaren!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Voodoovaj
  • 65 comments
  • 9,791 views
Messages
5,094
Canada
London, Ontario
Messages
voodoovaj
So, on the heels of the latest BoP changes, the cars that ACTUALLY got screwed over are the entire trio of McLarens. Gr 1, 2, and 3

First off, let's set the stage for this discussion. The 650 GR3 is a decent car at Sardegna, in practice that is. Once the race starts it's a suicide mission. I've seen a few decent drivers give it a try, only to disappear in the the "McLaren triangle". So, I ventured into it twice today.

The Gr3 650 eats it's tires and doesn't grasp the concept of fuel savings. Not only that, if you try to go full out, it doesn't grasp that concept either, lapping at pretty much the same pace as the fuel saving pace. This car has no redeeming qualities whatsoever aside from looks.

Yes, in qualifying, I can be almost as fast as some of the other cars. I think I can get this into the high 1:19's if I try some more, but to what end? It's useless. If this were a sprint race, as in a Race B scenario, maybe...MAYBE I could hang with some of the other cars. I could probably eek out a win if the matchmaking favoured me, but I think I would lose track position in the straights and not really be able to regain it anywhere.

D_H1dUGXkAEFN04



I have never ever taken a proper win in the GR4 650. By Proper, I mean a win against my peers. I have a handful of wins from early on when my SR and Dr had dropped into the C's. That doesn't count. The 650 gr4 is nothing like the Audi, or the Megane, or even the Aston. By choosing it, you are basically resigning yourself to an "also ran" position.

Gr 1? Is it good for anything? I haven't seen it used in forever.




Did McLaren refuse to give Kaz a deal on a new car or something? Did they make some other faux pas in his presence? Why does PD hate McLaren so much that they have balanced their cars into obscurity?
 
I believe the Gr.4 class is proof that something is fundamentally wrong with the nuts and bolts of GT Sport. For virtually the entire life of the game, the FF vehicles in this class have been dominant, and the MR ones have been among the worst — this is quite literally antithetical.

To make matters worse, (as you point out) tire wear has always been disproportionally bad on most of the MR cars. I remember way back at the very first World Tour event, when the aliens were testing out the “new tire model” which was supposed to be the reprieve for MR cars. And yet one year later, the problem still persists.

I believe the Porsche Gr.3 is immune from this because it’s a GTE car (more aero than GT3) and as such it’s always had better cornering speed than the other Gr.3 cars, as well as fantastic BoP’d gear ratios. Take those advantages away, and it would be just as bad, IMO. Just like how the Audi Gr.3 was terrible for the first ~half of this game’s lifespan. The 4C was irrelevant, and the Ferrari & NSX were uncharacteristically twitchy.

As a McLaren fanboy I wholeheartedly agree with you. But I feel as though PD didn’t get anything wrong with McLaren, but with MR cars as a whole, and these issues are most apparent on both 650s race cars. Because of this, just giving them a BoP upgrade won’t help — that would just make them qualifying metas. And PD must be aware of this, it’s the only logical explanation.
 
...

As a McLaren fanboy I wholeheartedly agree with you. But I feel as though PD didn’t get anything wrong with McLaren, but with MR cars as a whole, and these issues are most apparent on both 650s race cars. Because of this, just giving them a BoP upgrade won’t help — that would just make them qualifying metas. And PD must be aware of this, it’s the only logical explanation.

They could balance them out by giving them some type of a bone. Drop their weight!

I disagree that they'd be (generally speaking) qualifying META's. The GR3 McLaren might gain a few tenths if it were 1% lighter, which would just put it on par, yet it would help greatly in Race C scenarios. 1% light or 1% more power would help. I don't think I have ever seen a 650 in the top ten at any track.

The GR4 McLaren needs a diet as well because it's power advantage never materializes into anything real. Even on fast tracks, it's hamstrung.
 
I did some laps online last night in the Gr4 while trying to decide if I wanted to use it or the M4 for a racing league. The McLaren was consistently 4-5 tenths slower than the M4. Granted it was more stable and I preferred the way it handled, but slower is slower.
 
McLaren driver represent! :D

The Manufacturers season only actually started on Saturday for me. I've gone with the McLaren F1 GTR for Gr.3. In the opening (or, rather, 4th) round, which was Gr.3 @ Dragon Trail, I had good pace, but had terrible consistency issues. The car absolutely detested the curbs; as a result, I was only able to go through the bus stop without crashing maybe 1/3 of the time. I went for the conservative strategy for the sole reason of remedying this. Ultimately the result was good: P18 (botched qualifying at the bus stop) to P8 thanks to the car being good on fuel.

The F1 GTR's greatest strength is its straight line speed, which is better than everything else in Gr.3 (though it slightly loses out to the GT-R in acceleration). This helps me overtake easily, park it on the apex to defend and pull away on the straight. The car is pretty good for races thanks to this and its fuel saving capabilities. Its main problem is the understeer, which very noticeable. I think it's received a 1% nerf to its weight in the past, maybe that should be reverted to improve handling. Also, I don't know if PD have ever done this, but a suspension setup change to fix the curb issue and the understeer would be nice.

Tonight is the Gr.4's turn. I'm really satisfied with my pace at Sardegna, my PB is about 6 tenths slower than the top EMEA time. Tire wear has seemed ok in practice and fuel is a non-issue in this round. I like the car's handling, save for a tiny bit of understeer. I have an advantage over the meta (the 86) in my straight line speed, which is decent in Gr.4 and will make me hard to overtake. On paper, this does seem like a chance at a great result, but I'm sure I'll bottle qualifying again :lol: Report on the Gr.4 650S coming after tonight :)
 
I used the GR4 McLaren at Suzuka after watching one of Kie’s YouTube vids. It is a stable car. I found it useful for learning and helping with consistency. Stuck with it for the week and enjoyed it. Didn’t race it though.

I used it a Brands this week. Again stable and a nice drive. I saw the 4C was one of the meta cars. Tried it as I like using it. Within 5 laps I’d beaten my McLaren time.

I’ve never used either of the GR3 McLarens in sport mode or time trial.
 
How mclaren is most hated when they have Nissan Nismo Lm Gtr?
 
I believe the Gr.4 class is proof that something is fundamentally wrong with the nuts and bolts of GT Sport. For virtually the entire life of the game, the FF vehicles in this class have been dominant, and the MR ones have been among the worst — this is quite literally antithetical.
The GT by Citroen would like to disagree with you. I've won more races in it than any other Group 4 car, far more than the Renault Megane.
 
Gr4 McLaren is really nice to drive in cockpit. Sounds great, handles well, I’ve taken it to a podium before on Gardens, but that was long ago at dr b.
I did well also at Panorama with it at lower levels...
That said, I tried it at Brands and it’s a joke. Suuuuper slow...It’s just plain slow...Shift point doesn’t seem to fix it...It’s AWESOME imo as far as fun, but useless in race for me. Which brings me to my next point...
You have to race a car and see how it does IN race.
A fast time trial gets meaningless imo when the chips are down. I have to say I was quite disappointed also with the 86 in race...Great hotlapper on Brands, but in race lacks enough grip. The Ferrari Feels great in race to me in gr4....I’d love Mcclaren gr4 to be competitive, but it sucks when you have a wheel and a skilled pad player in a Megane can brake ridiculously late after a high speed straight and dart inside you, AND if they shove you they have FWD! It’s kinda silly imo, but always fun to compete with all the driving styles in GT Sport.
Mcclaren gr4 to me is handling car with no brakes maybe?
I do think definitely that certain cars are kinda meant for pad and others meant for wheel, at least that’s how it seems to me.
I’ve never seen a fast player in a Mcclaren in my over 250 races in GT Sport.
Gr 4 the brakes suck too...
Of course on a certain other game it’s the META of META...
Now the Lemans car gr3 has potential. The other one just sucks, doesn’t matter what you do. It feels like it so fast from inside but almost any fr blows it away on every track...Doesn’t matter where you shift it’s always slow.
Someone said Mcclaren beats Dodge, I dunno, but I feel much better in gr3 or 4 in a viper than a Mcclaren myself at low a.

Maybe for gt sport they should be called Mcclunkin
 
Last edited:
The GT by Citroen would like to disagree with you. I've won more races in it than any other Group 4 car, far more than the Renault Megane.

You must not have been around at launch, or, the first ~3 months of the game for that matter :lol::lol::lol: that Megane, it was like racing a damn Gr.3. Untouchable.

In all seriousness though, I have more wins in the McLaren Gr.4 than any other in that class. Granted, those wins were way back in the day on my way up to A+/S. But still, in the right situation the worst car can beat the best ones. Doesn’t amount to much in the bigger picture though.

In my mind, something has to be wrong with the physics thats making the FF cars so capable. They should only be competitive on high speed tracks, as the MR and FR cars should be out-cornering them, and destroying them on tire consumption. Yet, we currently have the opposite situation — FF cars were dominating Bathurst just the other week, and Mid-cars like the Huracan were top speed meta’s with crap tire wear.. which reaffirms the point I made earlier: PD is throwing Power% at the MR cars hoping to fix them and it’s not working.

Anyway, I could rant all day about this. But the McLaren Gr.4 is still my go-to for Online lobbies and single player. It’s a really stable car and very easy to push to the limit. And the McLaren F1 GTR is my go-to Gr.3. This keeps me satisfied.
 


In my mind, something has to be wrong with the physics thats making the FF cars so capable. They should only be competitive on high speed tracks, as the MR and FR cars should be out-cornering them, and destroying them on tire consumption. Yet, we currently have the opposite situation — FF cars were dominating Bathurst just the other week, and Mid-cars like the Huracan were top speed meta.

THIS PLUS INFINITY...

It’s a joke. I watch controller users on many tracks punch it on ff and hookup and rocket out of corners. I try to emulate on wheel, BOOM understeer, horrid ffb feeling of push...AWFUL feeling.
It is silly and annoying, but I take it as git gu on wheel lol.
I do think tbh you nailed it 100 percent.
There’s a problem if you relate it to reality, but in game for myself as a wheel user in gr4 it definitely presents a big challenge, because I know others have a massive advantage in speed, and with the dang Megane braking, the problem I run into is now people are using the ff power and braking in a dirty way. Why?
Because they can! People use what works they aren’t stupid. They know they can divebomb, bump, and rocket away with power advantage...You can’t blame the people they are racing to win...IMO it totally sucks and ruins my enjoyment of that class in daily sprints.
Honestly I pretty much detest gr4 for this very reason.
 
How mclaren is most hated when they have Nissan Nismo Lm Gtr?
Because of the fact that it comes as FF (or displays as such) in the game? Lol.
 
I've driven all McLarens in races (except for Gr.1)

Gr.4 650 is stable, but slower than opposition, just like people were saying here

Gr.3 650 is just plain slow. Honestly, i performed much better in other cars than in this one

Gr.3 F1 was meta for some time after its release, got a bit nerfed, but still is a very capable machine due to unmatched top speed. In right hands, it definitely can win
 
I absolutely love the McLarens, although I agree that they could use a bit more power or have a little less weight. But the most annoying thing to me is that the wheel in cockpit view (cockpit view ftw!) isn't centered. Well, except for the Gr.3 F1 of course. But what is up with that PD?
 
The GT by Citroen would like to disagree with you. I've won more races in it than any other Group 4 car, far more than the Renault Megane.
Yup. Underrated car. I myself don't use it that much, but when i do, it never dissappoints me.
 
It's exactly the same in real life, and that's why Von Ryan Racing switched to Aston Martin, and the likes of HEXIS & ART left GT3 completely after running McLaren GT3s.
 
Sorry to break it to you but there are no McLarens in Gr2.
 
Last edited:
The group 1 Mclaren suffers from horrible, mushy brakes and runs through gas like nothing else. I don't think its usable in any context as it already comes with its stats nearly maxed out. Even the Nismo might stand a chance at Blue Moon Bay.
 
It's exactly the same in real life, and that's why Von Ryan Racing switched to Aston Martin, and the likes of HEXIS & ART left GT3 completely after running McLaren GT3s.

Kind of irrelevant in this context, no?

Otherwise, what's the excuse for the GR3 Beetle? There's also no gr3 RCZ in real life. You should be considering GTSport as a series unto itself, after all it is e-sports. This is not the "real GT3 simulator"
 
Well I recently drove a McLaren for first and probably last time in game.

It was the MP4-12C around Northern Isle oval, good speed and then I realised it can't brake or actually take an oval corner.

I'm beginning to notice the handling of cars in the game is somewhat difficult compared to other games I'm playing but playing Driveclub in
VR felt far more satisfying with a Mclaren than it did in this game.
 
It's exactly the same in real life, and that's why Von Ryan Racing switched to Aston Martin, and the likes of HEXIS & ART left GT3 completely after running McLaren GT3s.
The 650S GT3 did win the Bathurst 12h in 2015 (2016?) though, and it broke the track record in the process. :odd:

Anyway, I liked the 650S Gr.4 yesterday in FIA. It's a forgiving car, very stable and responsive and gave me a pretty good result. It's no 86 of course, but it's good for me and I don't regret my manufacturer choice, despite the F1 being kind of underpowered wherever there aren't many straight lines.

Sainte Croissant (next round) is where the Gr.4 car's understeer becomes a little more apparent, specifically through the high-speed esses in the first sector. Other than that it's fine though. A teammate got it into the top 10 stars, so I know it's capable. I just need to find my usual pace here, because I haven't found it yet.
 
The topic is PD hating on McLaren yet you still brought up the Nismo gtr lm :confused::boggled:
My point is on topic. Mclaren cannot be most hated when Nismo Lm Gtr is still in game.
 
My point is on topic. Mclaren cannot be most hated when Nismo Lm Gtr is still in game.

No, it isn't.

Let's compare:

GR1 McLaren - Terrible.... GR1 Nissan R92 great/LM GTR terrible - 1 point to Nissan!
GR2 Mclaren - nothing, nada, zip... Nissan GTR is probably the best all around car. 1 Point to Nissan + 1 Bonus for having the best car in the class!!
GR3 McLaren - F1 is ok, but specialized. 650 is garbage...Nissan - GTR is great at high speed circuits and admirable everywhere else. 1 Point to Nissan
GR4 McLaren - 650 is garbage...Nissan GTR can win almost anywhere 1 Point to Nissan.

It sure looks to me like Nissan is doing just fine
 
No, it isn't.

Let's compare:

GR1 McLaren - Terrible.... GR1 Nissan R92 great/LM GTR terrible - 1 point to Nissan!
GR2 Mclaren - nothing, nada, zip... Nissan GTR is probably the best all around car. 1 Point to Nissan + 1 Bonus for having the best car in the class!!
GR3 McLaren - F1 is ok, but specialized. 650 is garbage...Nissan - GTR is great at high speed circuits and admirable everywhere else. 1 Point to Nissan
GR4 McLaren - 650 is garbage...Nissan GTR can win almost anywhere 1 Point to Nissan.

It sure looks to me like Nissan is doing just fine
Gr.1 Mclaren isnt as terrible as Nismo. Nissan can easily earn 5 point from it.

Also Mclaren 650s gt3 and gr.4 arent terrible after the last bop patch. Your opinion is biased.
 
Back