Let's talk - Driver model avatar customization (or lack thereof)

• Thread starter HarVee
  • 7 comments
United States
somewhere near Trial Mountain
oldbusanubis
It intrigues me why PD still haven't after 12 years created more in-depth driver model avatar customization options. Since Gran Turismo 5 PD has seemingly been using the same driver avatar model, which I suppose is designed to be sort of universal model among the sexes and races by hiding prominent features such as, but not limited to, skin tone. I think it's time PD stopped this universal hidden identity "The Stig" nonsense and let us actually customize parts of our driver beyond the suit and helmet livery.

I created this thread so we could discuss this design choice, why PD have yet to add more in-depth customization, as well as be a wishlist thread for features related to driver customization we'd like to see someday appear in the franchise.

I'd really like to see body shape sliders, and the ability to wear something other than a race suit and gloves. If the driver model is suppose to be a reflection of ourselves and our personal style/interests wouldn't it make sense for us to have options that allow us to better reflect and recreate ourselves within the game? Now I'm not asking for The Sims level of customization but rather for just a little bit more flexability. They (PD) could add body shape sliders while keeping the driver helmet as not to need to create facial sliders. Add a skin tone slider, and then some outfits that aren't typical racing suit and gloves. Maybe a T-Shirt and Jeans casual style. Maybe a Tuxedo for the James Bond types.

Your thoughts, and ideas?

Minor issue but the body shape of the avatar definitely looks weird. The side profile is just...off. theres no chest whatsoever. Speaking of, it wouldn't kill them to have a stock female avatar either.

They need one or two more suits and helmets because the vents make it hard to run simple designs.

Other than that they don't need to put too much work into it. Not a high priority for me

My opinion: GT7 is a more serious racing simulator. Racing drivers use helmets and protective racing suits.

Other kinds of driving wear make sense in an arcade racer like Forza Horizon, with its huge personalization options due to its more relaxed and approachable style of game.

The only visual option that can make sense in this regard are body shape diferences for male and female types, just like Forza Motorsport 7. And that's enough.

Yes, I liked the option of FM7. Seeing the eyes through the visor is a nice detail.

Very odd when PD had the open face helmet with no gender option. Let alone skin tone option.

My opinion: GT7 is a more serious racing simulator. Racing drivers use helmets and protective racing suits.

Other kinds of driving wear make sense in an arcade racer like Forza Horizon, with its huge personalization options due to its more relaxed and approachable style of game.

The only visual option that can make sense in this regard are body shape diferences for male and female types, just like Forza Motorsport 7. And that's enough.
But what's the point of protective race suits when cars don't catch fire, let alone even have a in-depth damage model. If cars were able to catch fire and if a major crash gives way to a race over ordeal then I could see the logical use for them. Until then I don't see the point of restricting player options for the façade of realism.

Also I would like to add that Gran Turismo appeals to casuals, as well as serious sim racers. Shouldn't that broad appeal be reflected in the customization? Those that want a race suit can have them, those that don't shouldn't be forced to wear one on their avatar. Options, spice of life, and all that.

Back