Lewis Hamilton v Michael Schumacher

• Thread starter Earth
  • 13 comments
GTP_Royalton
Who do you think would come out on top over the course of a 20 race season?

For me, in the DRS era, Michael, easily.

Hamilton would probably end up on top in poles for the season 12-8, but its so easy to pass with DRS now qualifying second wouldn't be the setback it was 20 years ago. If they were racing with no DRS, then Hamilton's ability to get more poles would matter more - and thus it would be a closer championship. But I still think Michael keeps enough pressure on him through the season to beat him in the same car.

I think people see how Hamilton has Schumacher covered in wins and poles, but its important to remember Schumacher raced in shorter seasons. He could easily have had ~20 more poles and wins each if F1 in the 2000s had 20+ races instead of 16.

Also important is a record of Schumacher Hamilton has not managed to beat yet, and may not beat - fast laps. This record is a testament of Schumacher's race pace.

Hamilton is without a doubt an great driver but he owes a lot to a Mercedes team that got the package right from the start.

Schumacher was a formidable driver but he got most of his wins at a team that likes to cheat its way to a win or 2. or 30.

"Yes sir?"
"I'd like to have an argument please."
"Certainly sir. Have you been here before?"

Lots of context required.

Are they in the same car?
Is that car a front running car? If they're both in 2020 Ferraris or 2022 Mercedes, neither are winning. Indeed neither would've won the races and titles they have without dominant machinery.
Are they teammates? If so, Schumacher, if not, Hamilton.
Are we talking 1994 Schumacher? 2002 Schumacher? 2011 Schumacher?

Based on the first post as it stands as I type this, if it was a DRS era car, Hamilton would win as he has more familiarity with that era of F1 car.
This record is a testament of
fastest lap being worth a point in the most successful half of Hamilton's era, thus encouraging other drivers to go for it whilst Hamilton brought the car home.

Are they in the same car?
Yes

Is that car a front running car? If they're both in 2020 Ferraris or 2022 Mercedes, neither are winning. Indeed neither would've won the races and titles they have without dominant machinery.
Yes, a dominant car that wins the the majority of races

Are they teammates? If so, Schumacher, if not, Hamilton.
Yes they are teammates. But its interesting why you think Hamilton would struggle as a teammate of Schumacher. Not that I disagree though

Are we talking 1994 Schumacher? 2002 Schumacher? 2011 Schumacher?
Let's say 2000 Schumacher vs 2015 Hamilton. Both about 30 years old, experienced in F1, and at their peak.

Based on the first post as it stands as I type this, if it was a DRS era car, Hamilton would win as he has more familiarity with that era of F1 car.
In this scenario we'll say both drivers came into the sport at the same time and have the same experience with the cars being used. I think both drivers would adapt quickly to either era of car. I think the major difference is DRS, and the premium it takes away from qualifying.

fastest lap being worth a point in the most successful half of Hamilton's era, thus encouraging other drivers to go for it whilst Hamilton brought the car home.
This is interesting. I'll have to do some research on it later.

I think a lot of these questions get redundant when the cars and teams themselves are crucial to winning F1, not to discredit driving ability, Lewis and Michael would obviously have a had amazing driving ability in order to take the amazing cars to victory. But a lot more of these factors that need to be considered makes these arguments on who is the better driver in their prime, pointless

Hypothetically would it not be better to discuss a fantasy grid full of all 34 past world champs since 1950 and debate if we had a time machine and put them together at their peak skill level!! who would come out on top after a season if they were all in the same default identical car? but then we have the old cars v new cars etc drs and other factors.. forget all those bits it's just a skill v skill scenario... anyway I would still put my money on Senna or Schumacher winning the season of past champs due to skill and outright ruthlessness with no remorse or second thoughts :lol:

So anyway that means my answer to the OP would be Schumacher in his prime would win hands down v Hamilton :P

I think both drivers are great but if I have to give a slight edge to Shumacher. I am not a big F1 fan but I do like Lewis and Shumacher. Great things about things like this there is no definitive right answer.

I'd say Hamilton. Unlike Schumacher, he's gone through F1 with teammates that are allowed to fight him. He's been in more title fights with drivers that have had similar equipment (2007, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021) whereas Schumacher (1994, 1995, 1997, 1998, 2003, 2006). He's a much cleaner driver and hasn't ever resorted to purposely punting other drivers or parking their car during qualifying. Pretty much similar on overall pace but I'd say Hamilton is superior in wheel to wheel. If the FIA were to clamp down and actually do their job in regards to dirty driving Hamilton would likely win overall. If they were as bad as last year with letting drivers get away with poor driving then Schumacher would win.

Last edited:
Driver of era A vs driver of era B comparisons are a flawed concept, even when their respected eras have some overlap. There are so many variables in the tools required to be a champion and those change greatly from era to era. You could theoretically put them in the exact same machinery, which may give you an acurate comparison of skill behind the wheel, but that's only part of what's needed to string a winning championship together. Mental resolve and determination, the ability to rally a team around you, the skills to get decent results from a poor handling car all these things and more are required to be the GOAT.

in thinking about this, I'm struck by just how similar Schumacher and Hamilton are as drivers. (I'm sticking with the present tense here because I can't be bothered managing the grammar!)

• Both of them have been able to really pull the team around them, so that they get everything they need.
  • Both of them have ruthlessly sought out and eliminated weaknesses in themselves, the team and the car.
  • Both of them can absolutely rise to another plane of ability when the chips are down.
I think Michael worked in a more dynamic time. Tyre wars, refuelling, no refuelling, slicks, grooves, countless additions and removals of technology. But he did thousands upon thousands of miles of testing.

Lewis's era is much more straitjacketed. Testing is highly curtailed, so he has much less time to optimise a car's build and setup. But also he has many fewer variables to manage in terms of setup and the car's evolution from race to race.

I also think Max is the perfect opposition to Lewis, in the same way that Mika was the perfect opposition to Michael.

But to me, to try to compare them is inevitably to attempt to levitate one to super-greatness at the expense of the other. I'm not sure it's a worthwhile activity. We cannot consider either driver to be objectively worse simply because they didn't beat another driver who was in their prime 15 years previously/ahead.

2ac1249deaa7dd557f75cf95dc583fe7.jpg

Latest Posts

Back