Lexus LFA engine note

United States
United States
Am I the only one disappointed with the LFA's engine note? In chase cam it kind of gets there, but chase cam and I don't get along.
Even the hood/bonnet cam sounds like a vacuum cleaner or a cheap toy drone, let alone the cockpit.

Any precedent of PD correcting sound files after release? I'd be happy just having the chase cam's tone while in cockpit/bonnet cam...
Don't get me wrong I'm glad we finally have this car, but in a game where they've done a pretty good job with engine tone it's just such a letdown to have one of the best sounding cars ever produced sound so... fake.

I've tried the three exhausts (stock, semi, racing) available, with/without the racing air filter and manifold to no avail. Even the "Full custom: Manual" (not racing) transmission fails to help, and I've noticed that can give certain cars a more realistic engine note in GT7.

It's fun to drive, but it could be so much more fun if I wasn't getting flashbacks of GT5/6's engine notes!

The LFA sounds Insanely good… OP I have no clue what your talking about bud.. I use Pulse 3D headphones.

Well maybe PD gave me a broken one, lol.

Oh well. Fun as hell to drive, but my Dyson has a more convincing LFA note.

Edit: I just tried two pairs of headphones, well one pair of cheap ear buds and a pair of Bose phones, and I'm still not hearing ANY of the harmonics, the rasp, etc in the cockpit. I am on PS4 Pro, so I wonder if they use a more "loss-ey" audio compression than with the PS5. Or maybe it's a bug. If you guys say you hear it I've no reason to doubt it. Maybe the bug-fix pass PD usually does a few days post-update will address it.

Last edited:
What have you guys done exhaust wise to the car? Most cars I've found highlift cams, manifold, and racing exhaust yield the best exhaust tone.

I've not modified it at all yet and think the interior view sounds spot on, it was a pleasant surprise after the Carrera GT sounded so disappointing. Don't forget it's mostly induction noise you'll hear inside the car, that classic high pitch harmonic wail comes out of the exhaust, and in something like an LFA with the windows up, you'll mostly hear induction noise with any remotely factory-esque exhaust.

It also has a nice variation in tone across the rev range, and you can hear the exhaust harmonics wailing, especially when near a wall or in a tunnel. Overall, really pleased with it, and an immediate favourite car because of the sound.

I'm using some reasonable quality headphones plugged into the controller for what that's worth.

Last edited:
I've not modified it at all yet and think the interior view sounds spot on, it was a pleasant surprise after the Carrera GT sounded so disappointing. Don't forget it's mostly induction noise you'll hear inside the car, that classic high pitch harmonic wail comes out of the exhaust, and in something like an LFA with the windows up, you'll mostly hear induction noise with any remotely factory-esque exhaust.

It also has a nice variation in tone across the rev range, and you can hear the exhaust harmonics wailing, especially when near a wall or in a tunnel. Overall, really pleased with it, and an immediate favourite car because of the sound.

I'm using some reasonable quality headphones plugged into the controller for what that's worth.
Yeah, I'm inclined to think I've got a bugged sound file. There's no way everyone else is hearing it/agrees that it sounds accurate & all I'm getting is the "base" engine tone with none of the characteristic timbre. Metaphorically it's like the difference between a MIDI pitch generator and a finely crafted German cello. They can both play a middle C, but one has sympathetic harmonics, characteristics of the string + bow, the warmth of the vibrating top, etc while the MIDI is just kicking out a cold, lifeless C. It's like I'm only getting the base pitch and the sound file wasn't mixed properly.

Oh, and I've never touched any of the audio settings in the game aside from turning off music during races. So it's default audio settings, which give me the great engine notes of the '61 250 GT, 458 Italia, Miura, 787b, and many more.
Going to delete and reinstall the game when I get home this evening. It's bad enough that I made a thread on it, and I've really liked 95% or more of PD's sound work in this title, so something must be off on my end.

Thank you everyone for your responses. Had I not asked I'd have just thought PD botched it and moved on, so I'm glad I got some feedback. Much appreciated.

Yeah, I'm inclined to think I've got a bugged sound file. There's no way everyone else is hearing it/agrees that it sounds accurate & all I'm getting is the "base" engine tone with none of the characteristic timbre. Metaphorically it's like the difference between a MIDI pitch generator and a finely crafted German cello. They can both play a middle C, but one has sympathetic harmonics, characteristics of the string + bow, the warmth of the vibrating top, etc while the MIDI is just kicking out a cold, lifeless C. It's like I'm only getting the base pitch and the sound file wasn't mixed properly.

Oh, and I've never touched any of the audio settings in the game aside from turning off music during races. So it's default audio settings, which give me the great engine notes of the '61 250 GT, 458 Italia, Miura, 787b, and many more.
Going to delete and reinstall the game when I get home this evening. It's bad enough that I made a thread on it, and I've really liked 95% or more of PD's sound work in this title, so something must be off on my end.

Thank you everyone for your responses. Had I not asked I'd have just thought PD botched it and moved on, so I'm glad I got some feedback. Much appreciated.
Any chance you could record a clip? I’m curious to hear what it sounds like.

Do you have a sound system/soundbar or just running off the TV's speaker? I have a sound system and it sounds good with it but sounds horrible with just the TV's speaker.

Last edited:
PS4's sounds are noticeably lacking compared to PS5 - one of the hidden ways they made GT7 work on the old system. But, it's mainly reverb, echo and ambient sounds that're removed from the PS4 version, so the engine note should still be pretty similar.

I've got awful TV speakers personally but the car still sounds as I would have expected.

I have no musical background but the LFA is my favourite sounding car and I've watched so many clips of it. I agree the sound in game is a bit off even with headphones. The basic sound is correct but it's still lacking a bit of "bassiness" and the small burbles and rasps during downshifts (which is true of a lot of cars in GT).

It's hard to describe but the real thing has a lot more layers and variations to the sound that makes it unique to any other V10s like the Carrera GT or Huracan/R8. The one in the game just sounds one dimensional and too smooth.

I always say NFS MW 2012 has the most accurate depiction of this car's sound.

Last edited:
I have no musical background but the LFA is my favourite sounding car and I've watched so many clips of it. I agree the sound in game is a bit off even with headphones. The basic sound is correct but it's still lacking a bit of "bassiness" and the small burbles and rasps during downshifts (which is true of a lot of cars in GT).

It's hard to describe but the real thing has a lot more layers and variations to the sound that makes it unique to any other V10s like the Carrera GT or Huracan/R8. The one in the game just sounds one dimensional and too smooth.

I always say NFS MW 2012 has the most accurate depiction of this car's sound.

Idk I'll have to disagree, GT7's version sounds more accurate to me. It is missing something though, but I'm not sure what.

In replays the sound from behind the car is too raspy, I always remember it singing smoothly as it flies by and goes off into the distance, like:

That wail is fantastic.

Last edited:
The sound of lfa in gt7 is spot on proably the best in modern gaming, they nailed the demon and 992 gt3 rs to, was most supriced with the demon didint think pd would nail that as good as they did, pd clearly are getting good with car sounds campared to,before and they are up,there with competetion witch could never be Said about Gt6, they have even surpaced forza motorsport on sound, witch has the worst sounds in forza game to date, some are good but they are so many bad ones, and its clear that both fh5 and gt7 is leagues a head in the sound department

Latest Posts

Back