LFS Car won't drift

• Thread starter Alex89
  • 4 comments
Hi there,

after beiing a bit bored by playing GT5 for two years now I thought about trying some other racing sims I know. While browsing trough Youtube I came across several LFS Videos, specifically drift videos. I played Live for Speed a bit many, many years ago and remembered the cars to be extremely slippery and easy to drift.

So I bought the license, downloaded the game and I simply can't get the cars to drift. My G27 is calibrated perfectly, I can initiate the drift but then it seems like the power is just cut off. The tires won't spin anymore, pulling the car back straight, like it's missing power. I took the XRT Turbo, as it's used in most of the videos I watched and even downloaded some tuning setups. I know for a fact that I drifted with this car once and it worked without any problems.

Are there some driver aids I could've left on? Almost every LFS Forum I looked seemed dead, so hopefully I can get an answer here.

(horrible english apology)

Hi there,

after beiing a bit bored by playing GT5 for two years now I thought about trying some other racing sims I know. While browsing trough Youtube I came across several LFS Videos, specifically drift videos. I played Live for Speed a bit many, many years ago and remembered the cars to be extremely slippery and easy to drift.

So I bought the license, downloaded the game and I simply can't get the cars to drift. My G27 is calibrated perfectly, I can initiate the drift but then it seems like the power is just cut off. The tires won't spin anymore, pulling the car back straight, like it's missing power. I took the XRT Turbo, as it's used in most of the videos I watched and even downloaded some tuning setups. I know for a fact that I drifted with this car once and it worked without any problems.

Are there some driver aids I could've left on? Almost every LFS Forum I looked seemed dead, so hopefully I can get an answer here.

(horrible english apology)

(Sorry for the late reply)

Basically the videos you are watching are from people who have been doing drifting in LFS for a while. Most likely using pre-heated tyres and stupid tyre pressures just to show off for the video.

On top of that, it sounds like a setup problem. The only driving AID in the XRT is the ABS system.

Also, this is the official forum: http://www.lfsforum.net/

Go there and find what you need, wether it be setups, advice, layouts or even more videos! Sign up and make a thread there for some feedback from the cumminity. And I know for certain that it isn't dead ;)

Thanks for your reply.

I've been trying out different settings now and found one I like. Turning in and applying countersteer workes fine (much like in GT5), but the power problem still remains.
I made a short video to show you what I mean:

Even though I keep the accelerator floored, the revs stay steady. They don't shoot up and hit the limiter, like they would do in real life (or GT5). Maybe it's a power problem? Or that's just the way it is in LFS. I know there are ways to tweak the car, but if people can drift the stock XRT, so can I (hopefully..).

I also got my setting from this video. Only thing I changed was to completely lock the diff and shorten the transmission.

Well the XRT isn't as powerful as your normal drift car so ofcourse it acts different.

Also try spinning your wheels untill they are really hot and then going out for a drift. What's happening there is exactly what should happen in this situation. Also take turbo lag into consideration.

Try drifting the FZ5 with either Knobbly tyres oir Hybrid. Then you will see there's no power issues :D

It looks like the car is behaving realistically, the wheel spin in GT5 is not realistic. The car makes less power in the higher revs so it won't hit the limiter most of the time. In real life people learning to drift pump the rear tyres up to make them spin easier, I used to use about 50psi but some people I know used about 100psi.

In LFS if you can heat the tyres above 100 degrees, it becomes much easier to drift.

Back