LFS gets new car (soon?): Scirocco

• Thread starter Gabkicks
  • 24 comments
Gabkicks
GabkicksX
Hello LFS racers.

I confirm we are making a Scirocco that will be used at the Games Convention.

It's a 200 bhp front wheel drive road car. We are very pleased to have the permission to include a production road car in LFS that we think looks nice and handles well.

We had to make it quickly in time for the Games Convention as of course that was part of the deal. Further testing and refinement will be done at a later date before it is included in the public version of Live for Speed, but we don't know yet when that will be.
I somehow missed this news.:)

http://www.volkswagen.de/vwcms_publ...tion=scirocco&culture=de_DE&winw=800&winh=600

Last edited:
I think this car will be nice, especially in cruise servers. The racing probably wouldn't be too bad either if it's handling is close to the FXO.

I figured it was only a matter of time after the BMW Sauber. Today, the Scirocco, tomorrow...? :)

I've always found LFS' strength to be in not including real production cars. The way the team developed the physics(small kinks aside) and the fictional cars always prevented people from giving direct comparisons. Thus avoiding the "It's not realistic because my car doesn' handle that way IRL." comments.

The real cars they have included have always steered clear of these comparisons as they had very limited production, or are pure race vehicles of which only very litte population have actually tried. Putting in mainstream production vehicles IMO may hurt them a bit. Again this is just my opinion.

Still I am so happy for the LFS team for the attention they have been getting! And aside from the thoughts I have shared I'm really waiting to have a go at that Scirocco! 👍👍

I think it's a bit of a stretch to say it will hurt the game. How often has adding an additional car or track hurt any game? While developing this car for LFS, the developers may gain better access about how cars should behave and other useful information.

Not really the game itself, but more on the mainstream perception on LFS. Mainstream players may not understand what the game is trying to capture and pass it off as unrealistic. But I guess they really need to put in something to draw in more support. Just what type of gamers they capture may be another story.

And yes, the dev team may learn a thing or two from it.

You don't need real cars to make a comparison between a sim and reality. Live for Speed has always very clearly defined the specifications of its cars, and those specifications define exactly how the car should behave. There's nothing more to the way a particular car drives, whether it's real or fictional.

Now, you may be right in that Live for Speed's reputation could be damaged among those who think the game is "like driving on ice," but for any level-headed sim enthusiast this news should only be positive.

I'm too poor to buy S2 or S1. Hopefully they include it in the Demo. Looks good.

Well, they had to get it ready in time for the convention. ;)

They still don't know when they'll release it to the public.

You can see from the video that the wheel has a big VW emblem in the middle. They just modelled the interior from the real Scirocco.

Scawen
Developer
a43.2.jpg

Yes, we announced it but did not release it because we didn't like the way the car had to be set up. It showed up flaws in the tyre physics. I went into a massive push to sort out the tyre physics but it turned out more difficult the more I found out about it as the months went by. That time was also at the end of a period of many years of very hard work. We also moved house to a different part of the country after our children were born and work ended up slowing, except for vital updates.

Eventually I got into cross country cycling and stopped smoking which is good because I am healthier and will hopefully live longer. The VR support was a boost for us and now I'm well beyond stage 1 of my cycling hobby. I'm able to work a lot and still do a few rides each week. I've been trying to get this stage of VR development sorted so I can get back to the tyre physics which will allow more types of vehicle to be simulated.

EDIT: Removed the final part, the explanation is above. We made some decisions that weren't the best but I believe we are getting back on track. The new tyre physics will really help, along with new content.

Last edited by Scawen, today, 11:04

Holy thread bump batman!

Interesting that they mentioned the tire physics need a rework, as this will be the first real world car that isn't a formula car of some sort. One can only hope it makes the other cars better to drive as well.

As for the new content, I don't mind fictional content if it means we get more in shorter time frames. Having licensed content is good but if it takes 8 years for one car to come out it kinda kills the anticipation.

I lost almost all interest in driving the Scirocco a long time ago, but if they release it and get on with putting out more tracks and cars, that's great news. LFS's combination of excellent physics, great FFB, and lightweight graphics that don't require a modern gaming PC is part of why why I haven't bothered with any newer sims, even though I haven't really played LFS in years either.

I'm not sure I want to get back into LFS at all really, it's been over 8 years since the Scirocco was delayed and it's still not been released. It's not just that either, Rockingham remains the only piece of content exclusive to S3 after a year. I get that it's only a team of three people working on the game but development time is unfathomably slow for this day and age.

I still take LFS out for a spin every now and then, but yeah, with each passing year the game looks more and more outdated (even if the underlying physics is still one of the best). As it stands there is nothing to justify the price of the S3 license. Maybe in 10 years it will be worthwhile, but how many people is going to be playing then?

I think the core group consisting of 2 people is fine (1 programmer for physics and 1 for everything else), but they need to recruit more car/track modellers or at least open up the game for modding.

Just a few more tracks or cars would probably be enough for me to justify supporting them by purchasing S3, and to dust off my G25.

I appreciate you keeping tabs on the game, @super_gt. 👍

Latest Posts

Back