LG 55B7OLED poor quality YouTube?

FastFurious77

Premium
England
England
So I've noticed for a while now I just aren't happy when watching most HD videos on LGs YouTube app. The quality of the videos look poor and low quality. Especially when watching GT Sport videos. I have watched Super_GT videos plus a number of others like Shirakko, moto. When in the car chase view the road and tarmac looks pixelated and blurred and same with cars. Also I have the tv in bright room mode and have all picture processing turned off. My Wi-Fi internet connection excellent and high quality. Netflix and Amazon I have no issues with.

Its possible its compression issue at YT side or the uploader.

If you view the same video via another source EG. YT app on Apple TV 4K or PlayStation 4 etc do you have the same problem?

In my experience, youtube is just about the most difficult source to get high quality playback from. They use some of the most aggressive compression out there, and it really hammers systems that aren't fully up to the task. Netflix and Amazon are gentle by comparison.

This is a pretty good explanation of how what @Danoff said applies to what you see:

A fast-moving camera over a tarmac surface or a camera panning across trees may as well be snow or confetti in this context. This isn't the only explanation, but it's the most likely one.

Its possible its compression issue at YT side or the uploader.

If you view the same video via another source EG. YT app on Apple TV 4K or PlayStation 4 etc do you have the same problem?

Well when it comes to watching GT Sport Videos or Forza videos people I'm subscribe to and people I aren't all the car driving look the same with the motion interpolation artefacts and it's blurry and low quality the road and the grass it's just not clean. It's terrible. I can't watch it.

It looks ok on my Samsung galaxy s8+, but that is a smaller AMOLED screen. But if I watch avforums, hdtvtest or tv review channels the quality is ok to excellent for HD to 4K, again sometimes I can make out noise or artefacts. Digital trends looks Ok, rtings looks good, avforums Ok, hdtvtest ok when he used his HD camera.

It's just a strange one. Even if I turn off TrueMotion the tv just can't seem to handle the roads. My tv is right next to my router and I have a 200Mbps cable fibre internet, I get 212Mbps on my tv Netflix network test. The tv itself motion interpolation processing is poor. The A9 processor in the new c8 models I hope is much Better as I'll be saving for one of them if they are.

The motion on my B7 is starting to become irritating. Yet watching some films and no notion issues whatsoever like Lucy in HD last night or watching certain LG UHD HDR videos. Some videos running at UHD 60FPS. I wonder if the judder and stutter is certain frame rates the is buggy with or just can't handle?

Well when it comes to watching GT Sport Videos or Forza videos people I'm subscribe to and people I aren't all the car driving look the same with the motion interpolation artefacts and it's blurry and low quality the road and the grass it's just not clean. It's terrible. I can't watch it.

I’ll have a look this weekend on our B7. I’ve never really noticed. I have noticed horrid judder in panning shots on 4K, 1080p movies though. However adjusting the OLED light to under 50 seemed to resolve this.

It looks ok on my Samsung galaxy s8+, but that is a smaller AMOLED screen. But if I watch avforums, hdtvtest or tv review channels the quality is ok to excellent for HD to 4K, again sometimes I can make out noise or artefacts. Digital trends looks Ok, rtings looks good, avforums Ok, hdtvtest ok when he used his HD camera.

It's just a strange one. Even if I turn off TrueMotion the tv just can't seem to handle the roads. My tv is right next to my router and I have a 200Mbps cable fibre internet, I get 212Mbps on my tv Netflix network test. The tv itself motion interpolation processing is poor. The A9 processor in the new c8 models I hope is much Better as I'll be saving for one of them if they are.

The motion on my B7 is starting to become irritating. Yet watching some films and no notion issues whatsoever like Lucy in HD last night or watching certain LG UHD HDR videos. Some videos running at UHD 60FPS. I wonder if the judder and stutter is certain frame rates the is buggy with or just can't handle?
I am almost certain it has almost nothing to do with the TV. Its just that looking at even a 1080p youtube video, which are compressed to a point that is designed to be viewed on things like 20" screens or smaller, and then viewing it on a 4K 55" screen, it is going to look quite bad in motion. Its simply how youtube compresses things. It looks fine on netflix because they use a bitrate that is designed to look good on peoples home TVs, And youtube looks fine on your phone because the screen is tiny so way less pixels are needed in order for it to look perfect. :)

Makes me yearn for analogue TV again, no slowdowns, pixilation etc... video as you were supposed to see it, just at a lower resolution. The move to digital was more about extra capacity and saving money more than anything else. It's amazing how bad TV stations, tech and websites can make HD look these days, like it's a competition :lol:

As others have said, the reason it's not a problem with some sources and is a problem with others is because it's not the TV's processing that's causing the problem, but the source. Netflix and Amazon aren't even "good" sources but they're still working out well on your TV because the TV is good. It's youtube that's the problem.

There are so many ways that something like this gets screwed up. The video game outputs a signal that is only as good as it can. The capture software from the video game compresses the captured video. Then maybe it gets touched up again before it goes to youtube. Then youtube gets it and formats it. Then youtube broadcasts it to you in a compression tailored to your internet connection. Then your TV attempts to decode the youtube screen at speed and fill all those pixels on the TV, and the TV also tries to fix some things on its own. It is a huge chain of potential errors. If your TV can handle some sources beautifully, it's not fundamentally a limitation of the television.

By the way, I went into great detail in another thread as to why I couldn't stand Dish Network's DVR compression anymore. It was making my TV look like crap (I'm sure DirecTV and others would also be pretty bad). I switched to getting signals directly over the air and the difference is almost unbelievable. I built my own DVR to record it without ruining the signal.

Back