Library/activity feed photos different

United States
United States
Ive posted about this before, I didn’t get a lot of responses. I think it only applies to players using HDR. Didn’t notice this issue before my TV upgrade. The difference in my library photos and the activity feed versions is very noticeable. The activity feed photos are usually overexposed, which wipes out detail. They don’t even compare to my library photos. Is there any way to report this issue? Have you noticed it?

Activity feed( loss of detail, no body lines)

29C06076-2726-4967-B1A9-D3C82B174FE5.jpeg

Library ( body lines visible, lots of detail)

5B9AF4C6-B1CE-4AC9-A17F-B2BB0C93C697.jpeg

You kinda already explained the issue. Your library keeps the hdr info at max res and the activity feed are shared compressed and converted to SDR jpgs. There is definitely a disconnect from what what you see but thats from one being HDR and the other SDR.

They don’t even compare to my library photos. Is there any way to report this issue? Have you noticed it?

I've noticed this too right after I got my new LG OLED TV. It appears that either the EV or the brightness is several clicks brighter than my library images. If they are compressing the files, this could very well account for the difference. PD may be doing this to save storage space, but if that's the case, then shame on them. One possible way to check this is to save both images and transfer them to your computer so you can compare the file sizes (I'll try to do this and report here later).

To get around this problem, I lower the brightness or EV before sharing my photos. Unfortunately, this is guesswork so, sometimes I have to do this several times.

I feel this is an issue for all aspects of the game, and as a result turn off HDR in game and on my TV. HDR as used in TVs and consoles is really just a marketing term, doesn't actually create a High Dynamic Range (HDR) image, and (to me) doesn't look good.

Apparently the actual scape photo is saved in non-HDR format, even in your library. How the HDR info is mapped to library images and displayed on screen, I haven't a clue. If you save a screen image of your HDR photo (via the share button), it also is displayed in non-HDR, even if seen on a 4K computer screen.

I'm using a PS4 Slim on a non-HDR capable TV. For me it appears the other way around.

In my Library, the captured photo is exactly as I saw it, and exactly as intended.
But when viewing the shared version, it looks darker than my Library photo. It looks like exposure adjustment has been bumped down by two or three clicks.

Perhaps this all happens to try and "balance" the way the photos are seen across all display types? I will find and upload a couple of examples later tonight.

I'm using a PS4 Slim on a non-HDR capable TV. For me it appears the other way around.

In my Library, the captured photo is exactly as I saw it, and exactly as intended.
But when viewing the shared version, it looks darker than my Library photo. It looks like exposure adjustment has been bumped down by two or three clicks.

Perhaps this all happens to try and "balance" the way the photos are seen across all display types? I will find and upload a couple of examples later tonight.

Interesting, I would like to see that as well.

Back