Licences... Whats the point really

  • Thread starter Thread starter hughezie
  • 26 comments
  • 2,026 views
Messages
9
Messages
hughezie
Other than getting trophies for doing them. Why bother? Yeah they help you learn how to race in the game but any other gt player who has played the gt collection should know what there doin by now lol

It's not like u need a certain licence to do certain races is it. What are your views On the licences?
 
You get prize cars. They can help you through the game if needed..
 
It's basically a slight-challenge mode for people with the DS3. For those who haven't played the previous GTs, if the licenses disappeared, they probably wouldn't even notice or care.
 
You'll need to bronze them at least to get to 100%. I'm A-26 and B-39 and haven't even done the B license yet...
 
They give you basic driving skills. Just like a licence does in real life! The theory to driving different types of corner etc. Guaranteed the OP just blasts it round courses bashing off any walls in sight etc
 
Nothing really... They have always been like a level up system in other GTs and used to Unlock events and used to be harder...

And if you read the text after you earn a license you can tell they almost kept it that way but it apears they removed them as any kind or restriction or removed the events that they were suppose to restrict...
 
There was no level up system :). Only License restrictions (and of course, cars/tires/make/etc.). Only thing was Endurace races, unlocked at 25% game completion. As for the Events, you had to finish easier events for the harder ones, but I think that doesn't count as level up system.
 
I thought there was no point to it when I first started the game. I am fairly new to GT. I first got interested with GT prologue then bought a PSP and now I am hooked. I went back and did all the licenses after I found out all the prize cars I was missing out on. When I first started GT5 all I wanted was to advance quickly up through the game so I could get some decent racecars. Now I am rethinking my strategy and actually have gone back to a lot of the beginning races and such. Yesterday I finally ran the VW camper race so I could unlock the TopGear track.
 
According to the message when you complete a licence they unlock more races. As of yet i haven't found any that require a licence.
 
There is always something to learn.
The physics between GT game are different, so Licenses will still teach you.
 
There never was a real point to them, lets be honest, even a newcomer to the GT series should be able to get bronze in them all after a day playing GT. It always was a gimmick from day one, so you had to have a certain licence to participate in certain races, hardly difficult, was it? Personally speaking, I like them, they're part of Gran Turismo and it's fun getting 60 golds.
 
It's not like u need a certain licence to do certain races is it.

Then don't do them, basically.
All in all it is a much better system than what was used in past GT games, where you may not have needed to do the licence tests to be good at the game but were forced to anyways.
 
i remember from gt1 doing licences taught me a lot about how to drive the car, there will be kids who are 6 and 7 playing this like my nephews i reckon thats what its there for, they were really struggling on the nurburgring wet test but got through it eventually
 
They're something to do, there are prize cars, it's satisfying to gold them. That's about it.
 
They are fun.
They can teach you driving techniques (and driving physics, the cars handle very different from previous GT games)
They reward cars.
They give you an idea how you are developing in the game. I tried some licenses in the beginning, and when I came back later to try and improve them to gold I found them a lot easier than when I first tried them.
They are fun.

EDIT: And they are probably invaluable for new players. The licenses back in GT2 were great for teaching me driving techniques.
 
Then don't do them, basically.
All in all it is a much better system than what was used in past GT games, where you may not have needed to do the licence tests to be good at the game but were forced to anyways.

I preferred Having to do them rather than this leveling crap, it was more a test of skill rather than lets grind the same race.....
 
I preferred Having to do them rather than this leveling crap, it was more a test of skill rather than lets grind the same race.....
That's a problem with the leveling system being terrible. Not a problem with the licence tests being optional.
 
fair enough, i just liked that sense of achievement that i have yet to find in gt5.....and the old licence system gave me that the leveling does not.
 
I like them just for the fact that my friends and I can compare gold trophies and talk smack, and they are kind of a staple of GT games. Good challenge. Good chance to check out some different cars.
 
They are something different in a racing game. They are similar to the special events and missions.
 
I would hazard to guess, PD at one time planned use licenses in a similar way that they where used in previous versions of GT, but decided to abandon their purpose after deciding to go with a leveling system.

In future GT's they my not return under the lable of licenses, but might be found under special events.

The licenses term at this point is obsolete, since it usually is something required to get permission to do or not to do something.
 
i've hated the licenses in GT since the very first game. after the first one, i gameshark'd every license after.

now... if i could just do that for my DOT physical...
 
I would hazard to guess, PD at one time planned use licenses in a similar way that they where used in previous versions of GT, but decided to abandon their purpose after deciding to go with a leveling system.

In future GT's they my not return under the lable of licenses, but might be found under special events.

The licenses term at this point is obsolete, since it usually is something required to get permission to do or not to do something.

Exactly, and one could assume this was a last minute change considering they still haven't fixed the text after you get the license... That message really can't be interpreted any other way... furthermore with so few events anyway it's a bit of a WTF? feeling... The first time I went looking for the unlocks only to learn there were none... and I had to learn it hear of all places as I thought I was just not seeing them....
 
Other than getting trophies for doing them. Why bother? Yeah they help you learn how to race in the game but any other gt player who has played the gt collection should know what there doing by now lol

It's not like you need a certain licence to do certain races is it. What are your views On the licences?

You're using textspeak (u instead of "you") which is against policy at this site. Just letting you know before the mods do.

You just answered your own question, really. They're there to help you learn to drive & race. The licenses are trying to teach you the basics of driving and racing. They show your progress. To me, the actual prizes are secondary. I often sell them. But the three trophy levels correspond to your skill level, and that's useful to let you know how ready you are to take on GT (any GT).

Consistent bronzes show that you at least have some sort of grasp on the concepts of driving. Yes, you're making mistakes, but overall, if you're not failing test after test, you're at least getting somewhere.

To me, silvers are most important. If you're consistently making silvers, for instance, that shows that you're pretty much able to take corners, brake, do all the things that are necessary for circuit racing. You should have very few problems once you're racing, assuming you employ everything you've learned.

Golds are pretty much overkill, at least the toughest golds are. You'll rarely (if ever) actually need gold-level driving in Gran Turismo, unless you're like me and underdog your cars with less and less horsepower consistently.

I get what you're saying, OP. You're wondering why the tests don't correspond to the races anymore. I don't really know, either, but I still like the fact that the licenses are here to stay. They helped me get a grasp on GT5's new physics engine. 👍
 
Other than getting trophies for doing them. Why bother? Yeah they help you learn how to race in the game but any other gt player who has played the gt collection should know what there doin by now lol

Do you think that no new players who've never driven a racing game before will buy GT5?

Do you think that no people will upgrade from a controller to a wheel?

Do you think that no people will try to improve their driving under controlled circumstances?


The self-centeredness of people never ceases to amaze me.
 
This game allows you to do them if you wan't, and not do them if your not interested. I, as many others here, enjoy the challenge they arise apart from a regular race. Allot of the game can be powered through. (no pun intended) if your entering the Beginner or even Clubman cup with a 800hp Zo6, Your practically cheating the system. The idea is to get a competitive car and drive as realistically as possible, for those who enjoy driving radically and sliding through every corner, there is Need For Speed. This is a different type of game for a different type of person. Granted anyone can get enjoyment out of the game, but the GT series has always strived for realism in both physics and the gameplay.
 
This game allows you to do them if you wan't, and not do them if your not interested. I, as many others here, enjoy the challenge they arise apart from a regular race. Allot of the game can be powered through. (no pun intended) if your entering the Beginner or even Clubman cup with a 800hp Zo6, Your practically cheating the system. The idea is to get a competitive car and drive as realistically as possible, for those who enjoy driving radically and sliding through every corner, there is Need For Speed. This is a different type of game for a different type of person. Granted anyone can get enjoyment out of the game, but the GT series has always strived for realism in both physics and the gameplay.

I agree. It's good to have the option of doing them (if it weren't there, naturally people that like them would complain). I remember it being a factor that kept holding me back in earlier gt's (especially the rally one AAARGH i hated that :yuck:)
 
Back