- 687
As I was watching B-Spec Bob thrash the Indy500 in my FGT last night, I spotted that it has Castrol logos behind the driver's head. Given that this isn't a licenced car and isn't, therefore, part of the "correct" livery, I started wondering whether Castrol has paid for their logo to be there - it is advertising for them afterall.
This then sparked a bit of a debate between my wife and I (we need to get out more!). Do you reckon that car manufacturers are paid by Sony / PD to have their cars in the game or is it the other way around? Would a car manufacturer pay for their product to be in the game, since it's probably better advertising than a TV slot in the middle of a car programme?
Whenever I've dealt with licencing in games in the past, it's always been the publisher that has paid the licence holder for the licence, but I'm not so sure in this case...
Opinions? Anyone have the inside scoop on this one?
This then sparked a bit of a debate between my wife and I (we need to get out more!). Do you reckon that car manufacturers are paid by Sony / PD to have their cars in the game or is it the other way around? Would a car manufacturer pay for their product to be in the game, since it's probably better advertising than a TV slot in the middle of a car programme?
Whenever I've dealt with licencing in games in the past, it's always been the publisher that has paid the licence holder for the licence, but I'm not so sure in this case...
Opinions? Anyone have the inside scoop on this one?