License Test Examples aren't even gold runs?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Fastphil96
  • 20 comments
  • 2,166 views
Messages
112
Canada
Ste-Marthe-sur-le-Lac, QC
Messages
Fastphil96
I'm working on getting Golds in National B tests, and as far as I can tell, some or all of the example videos for the tests aren't even Gold performances. That isn't very useful... In all the other GT's, you could watch the demo to get an idea of your performance compared to what it should be, but now I'm already faster than the demo and I'm not even using the same line. What's the point of showing us an example of how to do it if it's not even a good example?

On the National B-6 test, you need 14.600 for Gold and the demo car runs a 15.006...

Am I the only one to find this kinda odd?

Phil
 
Actually i think its better / seperates the men from the boys so to speak and the demo is purely a demo of how to complete the test.....

How you get gold should be down to personal talent and knowing what lines to take.
 
Nope, while i only seen one of those, it was almost 1.5 second past the gold time. The good news is: I can see you have a working internet, that means youtube will most likely also work, and i guess most licenses will be up eventually :) GL
 
oh wow I didnt even notice that! one thing I did realize is that I wasnt following the video. I just completed B-6, I was breaking way after the red line.



Kind of pointless eh?
 
Yeah, I used to watch the video for information and inspiration, now it's not even useful. I understand Barry's point, but watching a video that shows you how to do it properly doesn't mean it will give you the ability to do it properly.
 
I think it's quite good. This way it's more of a hint and less of a solution. You take that the demo gives you and use your own skill and knowledge to improve the line.
 
I think it's better that the license test don't show you how to get gold. It's only supposed to teach you the basic line. It's up to experience and practice to see how to take a faster line. It's the same as the visual driving line. The driving line only shows you the standard line derived from the basics. If PD programmed and gave you the best driving line with accurate braking spots, then people aren't going to learn to find and take the faster line. They are simply going to learn to follow the provided line.
 
Hello this is my first post. I've been lurking for quite a while.... something like 4 years+?? lol. Anyway. I believe B-6 was the Dunlop hairpin?

If it is I agree about not even following the suggested line. I find that in most games that offer a racing line they are drawn to simply keep you out of trouble. In other words the easiest line to follow. is it the fastest? nope not by a long shot. But it's quick it will let you adjust to a car quickly and again... keeps you out of trouble.

On the Dunlop hairpin I found that the best way to tackle this corner was by coming in hot from the far outside of the track aiming the car for the inner curb on the first part of the hairpin. brake hard. you will feel as though you are going comically slow but you will turn sharply. clip the second apex on the far side of the turn and get back on the throttle quickly. if timed right the car will, almost on its own, follow the line right back to the outside of the track and viola! gold!

btw. one night playing under my belt. i'm level 13 A-spec with nearly 600,000 credits. all gold National-B and a good number of special events completed gold.

PSN: Gtdriver
 
I've switched the driving line off. It's too much of a distraction. It's too easy to just follow the line, and not learn the circuit or the corner or the technique that the license test is trying to teach.
 
I guess it's like the driving line - a suggestion but now necessarily the fastest way to get around the track.
 
I've switched the driving line off. It's too much of a distraction. It's too easy to just follow the line, and not learn the circuit or the corner or the technique that the license test is trying to teach.

I have done the same.....

I havent found any licence where following the line has resulted in gold however, I have had to take a different approach.
 
B-6 is the only one I dont have gold on in that set! :ouch:
 
It also seems that special event demos are the same way, at least sector 2 of AMG academy seems to be about a second slow, but doesn't actually show the car crossing the finish line.
 
I have done the same.....

I havent found any licence where following the line has resulted in gold however, I have had to take a different approach.

True it's no good but I find having it helps a lot because I remember my lines and points as adjustments from the driving line - Eg. "Brake 4/5 through the red portion" or "Run wider by a metre then swing in, apex 2-3 metres after the driving line"
 
I just went back to B6 to try and get gold, and I just can't get it... in National B I have like 3 or 4 silvers, but National A, I have all gold. I find the "easier" ones harder...
 
I think it's better this way. I used to follow the examples all the time too but with these new videos, it actually helps you to develop your own lines. I think it's ingenius for PD to do that.
 
I recall a GT2 B license demo video had a silver trophy time. It was with the Subaru Impreza driving in a circle that had this.
 
I think I've figured it out: The Example looks like the correct line to use to get a gold, but at about 90% of the speed you need to do it at. Of course handling your car at 10/10ths is not gonna be the same as the video which is at 9/10ths...
 
IC-1 was ridiculous. The example showed him started braking at 140mph so I did that and didn't get gold. It's all in the downshift points and where the tach was at launch. It's really a pain in the butt to gold the licenses and I'm not going to get mad about it anymore. I just don't have what it takes except for B and A which I did gold.
 
I just passed National B-6 with a 14.600 flat with a 14.600 needed to get Gold! What a PITA... I swear I just hurt my hands, I was clapping so hard!
 
Back