Life Advice- Don't Get Fat

• Thread starter vat_man
  • 25 comments

vat_man

Staff Emeritus
Guys

I have this week finally managed to get my weight back to a point where I am longer technically 'overweight'.

I let myself go for 3-4 years in my late twenties (booze 'n burgers) and have spent the last two years pounding away at the gym and watching what I eat.

I f%$king hate exercise for exercise's sake (I'd prefer to be doing something, like bodyboarding or golf) and I had to turn my diet around. And I might say, it's been bloody hard work, but it was worth it.

On the plus side I'm now extremely fit (shame about my knees though).

But, if I hadn't got like this in the first place, it wouldn't have been so bad.

So be warned - keep an eye on your weight and physical condition, fellas. If you let it go, it's bloody hard to get it back.

Given the ages of the guys that post, here's the message - stay in shape!

I want to get like 5lbs heavier but I can't. I eat all the time but don't gain any weight!!!!!! I dont know why though. :confused: :(

Originally posted by ViperConcept
I want to get like 5lbs heavier but I can't. I eat all the time but don't gain any weight!!!!!! I dont know why though. :confused: :(

It's probably because you're about 20 and have a metabolism that runs quicker than Ben Johnson with a tail wind!

Originally posted by vat_man

It's probably because you're about 20 and have a metabolism that runs quicker than Ben Johnson with a tail wind!

Yea, uh hello, that would be me, right here. Actually 23, but who's counting.

Guys, take a look at your Dad. That's what you're headed for if you don't do something about it. Ha ha, that is unless your Dad is buff, in which case you better do something to be LIKE him (:

~LoudMusic

Oh, and I suppose that would make me lead into another sharp point.

Take a good look at your girlfriend's Mom. DING! You're looking at her future. Choose wisely, my child.

~LoudMusic

Originally posted by LoudMusic

Yea, uh hello, that would be me, right here. Actually 23, but who's counting.

Guys, take a look at your Dad. That's what you're headed for if you don't do something about it. Ha ha, that is unless your Dad is buff, in which case you better do something to be LIKE him (:

~LoudMusic

Something changes in your metabolism at about 26-27. I remember at 25 if I wanted to drop weight I'd just eat fruit for a week and drop 5 kg like it was nothing.

Seriously, though - the difference in me now and two years ago is just amazing - heart rate at 49, fat content low teens, lung capacity - different guy compared to the fat lazy bastard I was.

What I was getting at was that it's taken a hell of a lot of work to get there - if I can prevent someone from going through what I've gone through to get here, then I'm happy.

Something changes in your metabolism at about 26-27. I remember at 25 if I wanted to drop weight I'd just eat fruit for a week and drop 5 kg like it was nothing.

Seriously, though - the difference in me now and two years ago is just amazing - heart rate at 49, fat content low teens, lung capacity - different guy compared to the fat lazy bastard I was.

What I was getting at was that it's taken a hell of a lot of work to get there - if I can prevent someone from going through what I've gone through to get here, then I'm happy.

Same here. As soon as I got to 28 I just started to put weight on. I was always called skinny prior to this and ate anything and everything I wanted. No days I have to watch what I eat and make sure I do regular exercise.... Keep up the good work...

Hah familar words. Good effort "vat_man".....maybe you need to change your handle now?

I'm in the same boat. Just started solid gym work after a few years of doing nothing (when I was actually in shape) serious apart from the occasional gym session. Now I've got around 10 kgs to lose and am finding it hard to do for the first time in a long time. A solid month at the gym used to see 4~5 kg go at the very least. .....now ...nothing really happens...bit shocking.

I agree with your words of advice, don't let yourself slide in the first place.

49 is your resting heart rate? Thats fairly low isn't it? Bit impressive there. I'd say mine is currently around 70 most days....

Originally posted by sundog
Hah familar words. Good effort "vat_man".....maybe you need to change your handle now?

49 is your resting heart rate? Thats fairly low isn't it? Bit impressive there. I'd say mine is currently around 70 most days....

Big heart, mate. I've been doing a lot of hard work on the old treddly, Sydney's physically hard to get a bike around.

Originally posted by sundog
No kidding. Too many damn big hills, too many cars, not enough roads. :) Thats the way I see it.

Agree - that's why I ride at Centennial Park.

Also - wear loose shorts than can be easily pulled down in front of offensive drivers...

Originally posted by Rice Rocketeer
anyone seen a 6'3" 250LB asian guy???

THATZ ME!!!! WOOHOOO!!!!

am i fat or not? ;)

Mate - do something about it - you're only going to regret it later. Seen it happen too many times...

Keep it up, man....I hear you on the all-too-easy-to-let-yerself-go part. I'm only 24 and still fairly skinny (6' tall, ~170 lbs.) Even I have noticed that I'm getting a little soft in the ol' midsection over the last year or two. Resting heart rate is like 67(?...not sure). I must start something before I develop a helatious gut myself...

Jus' keep on keepin' on.....

Congrats Vat... I know your pain... I surely do... 27 and packing on the pounds...

I simply dont have the motivation to excercise for the sake of it.. Used to party hard every weekend and often took some drugs to enhance the weekend... So the weight then was not a problem... well after a year or so of that and needless to say, a screwed up head and almost lost job I got back on track but the weight has the same idea and its getting back on me.. :)

Currently searching for some external source of motivation to exercise...

Something like d evine intervention aught to do it... :)

Dude, you just gotta do it (to coin a phrase). It gets much harder the later you leave it.

My big shock was Mum getting cancer 3 years after the old man died of it (don't get me started on smoking...)

I was like at 210 a rear ago, about 45 lb over, jdugung by BMI, but now I'm at 175, and according to BMI, I'm at 24.4 or somthing like that, 25.0 is considered overweight, but considering I'm one of those naturally "big guys", I built as a lineman, I'm probably really at around 23.5 to 24.0

Appreciate that, Cannonfodda - as a former workmate put it, 'life happens'. You deal with it and move on.

BMW///M3 - it's interesting stuff the BMI, and that's what I've been going on. Did you notice you went through some really interesting physical changes in terms of fat distribution from about 26.5 to 25?

I read some interesting research a couple of weeks ago from one of the US colleges saying that the most important thing is fitness. Even if you're well overweight, if you have genuine cardiovascular fitness you still get all the health benefits. I guess the idea was 'drag your curvy butt off the couch and do some frikkin exercise - it's good for you'.

Well, tell my metabolism to slow down! I need to gain! All I have is muscle and NO fat! Or at least it seems this way. Is there any thing I can do or eat to make it lesser?

Originally posted by ViperConcept

Well, tell my metabolism to slow down! I need to gain! All I have is muscle and NO fat! Or at least it seems this way. Is there any thing I can do or eat to make it lesser?

Gimme your address- I'll send over some of mine...

:D

i'm about 6'3" and only weigh just over 170lbs.....my goal is about 200-205lbs. but i'm only 18 so within the next few years i should be able to do it ........fat?......i can't get fat if i wanted to.......i'm so active that the fat i eat is gone before i get it :)

Originally posted by Schumy
i'm about 6'3" and only weigh just over 170lbs.....my goal is about 200-205lbs. but i'm only 18 so within the next few years i should be able to do it ........fat?......i can't get fat if i wanted to.......i'm so active that the fat i eat is gone before i get it :)

Don't worry-that'll change in a few years! :lol:

Originally posted by risingson77

Don't worry-that'll change in a few years! :lol:

Man - that is SO true - around 25 -26.

I feel like I'm sentenced to the gym now - I could eat and drink less, but let's face it - that's never going to happen...

Man - that is SO true - around 25 -26.

I feel like I'm sentenced to the gym now - I could eat and drink less, but let's face it - that's never going to happen...

Yeah, no kidding. I'm 24 and I'm already softening up a bit. I must do something before I wake up 50 pounds overweight. :(

Back