Life is confusing, but...

Are you fulfilling your life?

• I think so, yes.

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • I don't think so, no.

Votes: 12 46.2%
  • I am content, for now.

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • It's been on my mind, but I think it's time to do something.

Votes: 6 23.1%

• Total voters
United States
Desert
it can make sense, if we make the effort for it to do so.

Think of it this way: The more you give yourself to someone, the more of you they will take, until there is nothing left. When there is the perception of nothing left to give/ take, then the relationship essentially ends.

People will tend to desire something more or different out of relationships and if they don't get it from their current partner/s, they will pursue it from/with others. This is how people work, most just don't realize the bigger picture.

It is the cycle of life. Once the new becomes old, the old dies and a new is born. Rinse and repeat.

It's easier said than done, but if we really want a thriving relationship/ life, then both parties have to bring new things/ ideas to the table, to share and build on. If only one party is doing the lifting, then the relationship/ life will soon or later stall and plummet.

I used both life and relationship here, because they are essentially the same, when pursuing a fulfilling experience.

I have recently taken to trying new things in my life. Attempting to learn more advanced math, learning to sing better, eating healthier, investing in multiple stocks, the ever tricky game of pursuing friendships/relations, and other things.

I'm a philosophical minded person and pondering on things in life gives me energy, so I thought I'd share.

Have you thought on these things and/or given something new a try, to bring new life into your own?

Here's good music to listen to while you think on it:

I study of lot of Dr. Jordan Peterson’s work on purpose and being as I do struggle with a having sense of purpose, despite having an ideal job and great family, etc.

I found stoicism really helps me manage the existential dread of living, not that it’s a perfect solution, but I endeavour to be a better person through, if only for myself more than anything else.

It’s a fascinating subject, the business of life. Sometimes I believe I’m hardwired to self destruct and that the biggest fight is against that.

Considering the universe popped into existence for no reason and we are the result of a string of total randomness that lasted a dozen billion years, matter sloshing together in various combinations till something happened (with the size of the universe chances of that happening are pretty much 100%), I find it nothing but presumptuous to suddenly try to find the meaning of existence, harmony or importance in anything, really.

The only reason we do anything is to avoid pain, or to gain pleasure which only serves to increase our chances of survival. Its a boring and lets be honest, quite idiotic game concept. Living for the sake of living is all there is. Concepts like meaning of life, hobbies, and giving random goals importance we only make up to soften the blows of the utterly empty reality devoid of anything.

Personally, since I'm already here on this world, I just do things because I haven't got anything better to do and it will be over quick anyway. Like being given a free game. You think its dumb game, but hey, at the moment you are bored and got nothing better to do lets play some. That's all there is to say, really.

Considering the universe popped into existence for no reason and we are the result of a string of total randomness that lasted a dozen billion years, matter sloshing together in various combinations till something happened (with the size of the universe chances of that happening are pretty much 100%), I find it nothing but presumptuous to suddenly try to find the meaning of existence, harmony or importance in anything, really.

The only reason we do anything is to avoid pain, or to gain pleasure which only serves to increase our chances of survival. Its a boring and lets be honest, quite idiotic game concept. Living for the sake of living is all there is. Concepts like meaning of life, hobbies, and giving random goals importance we only make up to soften the blows of the utterly empty reality devoid of anything.

Personally, since I'm already here on this world, I just do things because I haven't got anything better to do and it will be over quick anyway. Like being given a free game. You think its dumb game, but hey, at the moment you are bored and got nothing better to do lets play some. That's all there is to say, really.

And with that in mind, it makes it all the more reason to do what makes you feel like your time spent living was worth it, even if just for yourself. I mean, why not?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I study of lot of Dr. Jordan Peterson’s work on purpose and being as I do struggle with a having sense of purpose, despite having an ideal job and great family, etc.

I found stoicism really helps me manage the existential dread of living, not that it’s a perfect solution, but I endeavour to be a better person through, if only for myself more than anything else.

It’s a fascinating subject, the business of life. Sometimes I believe I’m hardwired to self destruct and that the biggest fight is against that.

I understand where you're coming from. Been there too many times, but as a good philosopher may say; Where there seems to be no purpose, then it's best we make it, ourselves.

Always something out there to do and figure out. Rather than focusing on the inevitable, let's focus on the explorable.

Last edited by a moderator:
And with that in mind, it makes it all the more reason to do what makes you feel like your time spent living was worth it, even if just for yourself. I mean, why not?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Maybe I wasn't clear about it, the mere concept of ''worth'' does not really apply, the concept of value is a man made illusion just as is finding any meaning to all of this or the concept of right & wrong. Value in that sense does not exist, no matter how many amazing things I do, or don't do, the value of my existence will always be the same, and that is Zero. It will never be ''worth it'', no matter what kind of random stuff I do.

Last edited:
Maybe I wasn't clear about it, the mere concept of ''worth'' does not really apply, the concept of value is a man made illusion just as is finding any meaning to all of this or the concept of right & wrong. Value in that sense does not exist, no matter how many amazing things I do, or don't do, the value of my existence will always be the same, and that is Zero. It will never be ''worth it'', no matter what kind of random stuff I do.

I know exactly what you mean, but here's where I'm coming from: I'm a naturally cynical person (seems like you might be, too) for most of my life and in my experience, this kind of view of life has never awarded me any enjoyment.

As I mentioned (more of less) to W3HS; If inevitable is unstoppable, then why not do something with ourselves, that makes us feel good, until it's over.

We can take the cynical pill and just feel empty believing that nothing we do really matters or we can have a party while we're here.

That's where I'm coming from. :)

Life is confusing but....GT7(GT8) will be out in 6 months. :lol:

I'll echo a lot of what @Michael88 said. We are here just to do stuff, because we can. It's also up to us to do stuff that makes us feel good, like buying a house to support our family, or a PS5, etc. Life is random, just like us being here, sometimes things to right, others wrong. Unlike the entirety of my family, I don't believe in 'God', or someone who 'blesses' you for being good (Santa Claus anyone?). Life is simply what you make it. There are pillars in life (i.e. family, friends, money, wisdom) to help get you through, but religion like 'Bible' is just a self-help book imo. Sure there are good things to take from it, but it's written by man, man decided what to put in/keep out and last time I checked, man has never made something perfect. Nor do I believe in 'Karma'. Everyone always talks about if you do bad, karma will get you. Not once have I heard someone say if you do good, karma will get (help?) you.

Jerome

As I mentioned (more of less) to W3HS; If inevitable is unstoppable, then why not do something with ourselves, that makes us feel good, until it's over.

We can take the cynical pill and just feel empty believing that nothing we do really matters or we can have a party while we're here.

That's where I'm coming from. :)
I totally get you - the thing is I cannot choose what to believe in just like one cannot choose their sexuality. My logical mind tells me existence is as I mentioned above, just a matter of many random circumstances and coincidences that eventually had to happen mathematically,. That existence is void of meaning, purpose or value, basically a blank canvas in an empty room that will never be reviewed, appreciated or valued and might as well stay unpainted.

The thing is, for you that's an amazing opportunity to do what you want without the burdens and rules a meaning, religion, doing the right thing etc. would impose on you, a great opportunity to draw a colorful picture with many different styles and objects and no limits.

For me knowing this results in utter meaninglessness in everything, every action and every endeavor feels utterly pointless and not worthy of perusing. I do look at the empty canvas and do some drawing, and I'm not even bad at it, but there is no joy, I just do random simple strokes to make make time pass more easily and to prevent pain sitting around and doing nothing would create. I know I actually have a lot of potential that could be awakened with something like a higher purpose, a meaning - but I know there isn't one, that there cannot be one. It would be illogical.

I assume that is part why religions came into existence, it would totally make people thinking like this integrate into society and make them help spend energy in improving the survival of the tribe in various ways with goals and fantasy meanings. But that does only work if you block out scientific knowledge and logical thinking that makes you realize that its just another man made fantasy to guide and control you.

We're only here through circumstance; there's no rhyme or reason. It is what it is and you have to get on with life. No matter your situation, there's an opportunity - a chance for you to make something, be someone or love something. Whatever it is that you enjoy - the food you crave, the car you drive or the places you visit, make it a priority. Don't let society dictate your life - you're in control so it doesn't matter what other people think. If everything is going well in your little world, you're winning at life.

I just do random simple strokes to make make time pass more easily and to prevent pain sitting around and doing nothing would create.

This is exactly the point. 👍

Living feels betters if you actually do something rather than nothing, ESPECIALLY if it's something we haven't already done, so many times before.

We're only here through circumstance; there's no rhyme or reason. It is what it is and you have to get on with life. No matter your situation, there's an opportunity - a chance for you to make something, be someone or love something. Whatever it is that you enjoy - the food you crave, the car you drive or the places you visit, make it a priority. Don't let society dictate your life - you're in control so it doesn't matter what other people think. If everything is going well in your little world, you're winning at life.

100% :cheers:

There's an unfortunate amount of people who get stuck in stagnation, only grabbing things within arms reach from the chair, but so few actually make the efforts to get up and move, to reach what's beyond.

For me, i don't think so.

There are times where i wish i could go back in time and fix whatever happened back then that i think needed a lot of fixing.

But too bad life isn't like that. You know for instance that you are so blessed with your family, wealth or other things yet you feel like there's something else missing like love life or other stuff? it's just what it is.

For me, i don't think so.

There are times where i wish i could go back in time and fix whatever happened back then that i think needed a lot of fixing.

But too bad life isn't like that. You know for instance that you are so blessed with your family, wealth or other things yet you feel like there's something else missing like love life or other stuff? it's just what it is.

I believe most of us like the idea of being able to "fix" our pasts, but I don't think we look at the issue properly. Life is filled with endless challenges (including dealing with past mistakes) that is presented to us, to overcome.

Generally, the reason we tend to not like problems is so we become motivated to make them less problematic, if not eliminate them. We get hungry, so we break open a coconut, but it takes too long and hurts with our hands, so we create sharp tools with safe handles to open them more efficiently, and so on... This rule applies to everything we do in life, if we want to try to be happier. Of course simply having or being given an easier life doesn't grant us happiness, but the act of involving ourselves in the process of achieving these goals, does.

People like feeling useful. Not just to others, but for themselves.

Last edited:
I am not fulfilling my life.

Why?

Lack of self-motivation (90%) and support from others (10%).

Think I have it all covered.

man has never made something perfect

d38f2994a809bdeca446f2ba09c7e33f.jpg

51EAC4VZ0SL.jpg

... interesting topic though.

I don't think so, no

Life is confusing, but... I'm trying to change it for the better.

Last edited:
Back