Lift-off oversteer: the secret to successful muscle-car drifting

Parnelli Bone

www.gtcarreviews.com
Premium
United States
Columbia, MD.
Parnelli_Bones
img0013.jpg

I need to tell you guys something. I am a bit of a newb.

img0014.jpg

I'm not afraid to admit this. I am a newb. More specifically, i am a drifting newb...at least so far as GT4 is concerned. But recently, i have made the step from newb to intermediate. 👍

img0015.jpg

In earlier games, (GT1, GT2, and gT3) i got rather good at controllable drifting. No, i can't say i'm one of those guys who can power-slide into a corner at insane speeds, but i was certainly capable at getting (at least) predictable drifts that look good in replays. What happened in gT4??? I SUCKED!

img0016.jpg

My early attempts at GT4 drifting were 90% complete disasters with the occasional half-baked power-slide (but not a true drift). I didn't get why. I would brake into turns just like i did in earlier games. I would hammer the throttle and (when appropriate) start to countersteer. That's where it all would fail. :guilty:

Most of the time, i would wind up spinning out. The dreaded SNAPBACK SYNDROME. Ugh. :crazy: And if i couldn't get a workable slide going, instead my car would unceremoniously understeer. :mad:👎 Since i would often try & perform drifts during sim races, i sometimes would lose a position or 2 as i fuddled around. :banghead: Well, no more.

img0017.jpg

Recently (as in tonite) things have changed. I can now predictably drift just about any passenger car that is driftable...including the 456-bhp black Chevelle pictured above.

I used to try and drift this Chevelle...either i would get snapback, understeer, or the dreaded power-spin. But tonite i figured out the secret: lift-off oversteer.

1). Drive toward a turn...for me, right now the tighter turns are best...i'm not a pro yet. :guilty: Brake heavily at first if you need to.

2). Now start steering while keeping the brakes on (unless you've already slowed enough). In earlier GT's, you can just keep on those brakes while letting the rear-end "step out". In gT4, i would instead experience understeer if i held on to the brakes. So the secret is to let off the brakes isntead of holding them. 💡

3). When appropriate, (as i said) let go of the brakes, while keeping the steering cranked inwards. If you've got enough momentum, the rear of many cars will now "lift-off" or slide lightly as weight gets transferred from front (during braking) back to the rear. You may now notice slightly more oversteer instead of understeer. This is good! This is what we want!

4). In some cases, a quick stab on the brakes (and then no brakes) may be necessary to get the rear to step-out if it hasn't done so already.

5). As the rear kicks out slightly, now is the time to give some throttle. If your car is a torque-monster like the Chevelle above, you don't want to HAMMER the throttle, tho...instead give a quick stab (or several stabs, or a low-dosage of constant fuel) till the rear starts to walk.

6). Now we could be in danger of spinning. As i said, dont' stay on the gas more than you need to. This is an intuitive process. After awhile, you'll learn just how much to give (and it varies from moment to moment).

7). As the rear slides out, start countersteering SLIGHTYLY while giving moderate amounts of gas. In some cases, and with some cars, you will safely find you can countersteer heavily...but in most GT4 cars the front will "snapback" if you aren't careful. So (again) you have to be quick and intuitive if you want your drift to last. From moment to moment, you'll either be steering, countersteering, giving gas, or letting off the gas...

I just did the Muscle Car{/b] races. At Seattle, some of the Ai was getting fed up with my antics, as i showed-off and drifted just about every corner at the track! :lol:
. I swear that Super Bee Dodge slammed me on purpose as i drifted in front of him...he was so mad! :lol:

...but i didn't spin once. No snapback. Hooray!

Great job. I started drifting in GT4 before I even started racing actually. I'm not sure why I did that though. Possibly it gave me a better understanding of the physics that make up GT4. Whatever. I now know how do to both. Although we all know what I'm more partial to.

This post is almost guide-like, and possibly deserving a sticky. As it can be applied to quite a few cars in GT4.

Nice job on learning how to drift in GT4. 👍

Yeah i vote sticky too, loads of new guys on here trying to get their musclecars to drift.

Work with race cars too. M3 gtr race car to be precise.

Great job. I started drifting in GT4 before I even started racing actually. I'm not sure why I did that though. Possibly it gave me a better understanding of the physics that make up GT4. Whatever. I now know how do to both. Although we all know what I'm more partial to.

This post is almost guide-like, and possibly deserving a sticky. As it can be applied to quite a few cars in GT4.

Nice job on learning how to drift in GT4. 👍

Thanks i appreciate it.

Yeah, it's a such a fine line from braking to drifting. Only recently did i start to experiment with lift-off oversteer and last nite something "clicked". It's not that i couldn't drift before, it's that i couldn't drift predictably and safely.

My first drift in GT1 was a complete accident. After this, i've always been able to get drifts in the first 3 games...as long as the car was "driftable" (no '71 Skyline GTR, for instance). I wasn't a big fan of simulation tires in these first 3 games, nor was i a drift-God by any stretch; most of my drifts in these games were accomplished during actual races if i managed to get a lead over the Ai...on "normal, sport, or slick tires.

I should add that (for GT4) i have been able to drift more successfully on N2 or N3 tires, but during races i'm typically on sports. So the post above is actually geared towards sport tires (hence, muscle-car torque may be needed to break traction). I'm sure N tires can also be applied, in a car that isn't as torquey.

Not that it matters much, but here's the settings i used for that Chevelle:

sport suspension with 1-way diff
Dampers: 2/6

Ride height:
minimum front/ maximum rear

Camber: 3.0 front/ 0.0 rear (trying to simulate a rear live axle but an independnt front).

Tires: either medium sports all around, or a combo of medium/hard. Hard tires in the rear. Hard tires in the rear tend to break easier under power, but take caution: they are also generally more fishtaily & harder to control.

Brakes: just the sports brake kit with no controller.

Yeah i vote sticky too, loads of new guys on here trying to get their musclecars to drift.

Work with race cars too. M3 gtr race car to be precise.

You mean drifting on race tires? :scared::nervous:

yep, super hards, wait until theyre a little bit worn, only on yellow, any further and you wont get anywhere near the corner to be able to drift. I was doing it a while back on endurances, 33 laps in or so and im about 4 minutes ahead, figured i would mess about. At one point i was so far ahead i did an entire lap in reverse.

But i wasnt watching the times and i finished second. By 2 seconds.

yep, super hards, wait until theyre a little bit worn, only on yellow, any further and you wont get anywhere near the corner to be able to drift. I was doing it a while back on endurances, 33 laps in or so and im about 4 minutes ahead, figured i would mess about. At one point i was so far ahead i did an entire lap in reverse.

But i wasnt watching the times and i finished second. By 2 seconds.

Okay, i'll remember that. 👍 I did recently drive a full race-car on racing tires and got some drifts...but i'm not remembering which car it was.

A few days ago, I also drove that noisy Mercedes 190E (the black one with the silly wing) in the Pan/Euro races. I was using medium sports all around. Semi-racing suspension. THIS is a great drift car to learn from, folks. Doesn't take much power to break traction, and then it's got that great German suspension, which makes it easier to control overall...easier than a Chevelle, anyways.

:lol:👍
Congrats Parnelli Bone on getting to drift your muscle car, and having much more fun now that you know how to drift. Good for you. 👍 But your still nowhere near what others had done (including me of course :sly:) I'm now still trying to perfect my drifting with my G25, and got to say its even harder than using a controller. But not to say I could drift perfectly though (had spun off, understeer a few times) but I'm getting there with the pros. 👍

Okay, i'll remember that. 👍 I did recently drive a full race-car on racing tires and got some drifts...but i'm not remembering which car it was.

A few days ago, I also drove that noisy Mercedes 190E (the black one with the silly wing) in the Pan/Euro races. I was using medium sports all around. Semi-racing suspension. THIS is a great drift car to learn from, folks. Doesn't take much power to break traction, and then it's got that great German suspension, which makes it easier to control overall...easier than a Chevelle, anyways.

The 190E is my favourite german road car in the game, and possibly of all time. I'll be getting my one out for some sideways action then.

Ummm....that's not lift-off oversteer.

OKay. What is it? I'm not an expert.

Here. This is from wikipedia.

Lift-off oversteer (also known as snap-oversteer, trailing-throttle oversteer, throttle off oversteer, or lift-throttle oversteer) is a form of oversteer in an automobile that occurs when the vertical load on the tires shifts from the rear to the front quickly due to throttle release while cornering. This decrease in vertical load causes a decrease in the lateral force generated by the rear axle, so the axle starts to accelerate towards the outside of the turn. This steers the car more tightly into the turn, hence causing oversteer. In essence, this means that easing off the gas causes the rear wheels to break away suddenly, with the potential for the car to leave the road tail first.

So yeah...there is some difference. In my driving, i am letting off the brakes. And wikipedia is talking about letting off the throttle. So what it called for me? Lift-off braking?

So yeah...there is some difference. In my driving, i am letting off the brakes. And wikipedia is talking about letting off the throttle. So what it called for me? Lift-off braking?

Sounds good to me. Congrats, you've just made a new technique. Apparently.👍

:lol:👍
Congrats Parnelli Bone on getting to drift your muscle car, and having much more fun now that you know how to drift. Good for you. 👍 But your still nowhere near what others had done (including me of course :sly:) I'm now still trying to perfect my drifting with my G25, and got to say its even harder than using a controller. But not to say I could drift perfectly though (had spun off, understeer a few times) but I'm getting there with the pros. 👍

Naw..i don't need to be a pro at drifting. I'm content with being average, matter of fact. But if it so happens that accidentally i get to be a pro, does that mean i also get to wear oversized, baggy clothes and use slick language like a gangsta and say stuff like eXtReM3!

Just joking.

Tonite i tried the same experiment with a '64 Pontiac GTO. This car is of course not ideally as balanced for drifting as the Chevelle is. The GTO has that huge trunk, first of all, and it also seems to have less of a threshold between grip and drift. But i managed to get a few moments here and there. :D

Suffice it to say, some muscle cars are more suited to the task than others.

Yeah, the Camaro is a definate try. 👍 Don't have the Mustang yet. I'm assuming you're talking about the Shelby ...and i believe that's a prize? I forget.

Yeah, the Camaro is a definate try. 👍 Don't have the Mustang yet. I'm assuming you're talking about the Shelby ...and i believe that's a prize? I forget.

Yeah, i think it is, definitely in the prize car list on the guides section. Ill have a look later and get one myself, always wanted one.

Back