Lighting Problems

  • Thread starter Thread starter baldgye
  • 15 comments
  • 1,072 views
Messages
6,079
Germany
Germany
Just before I post, I love this game and have a blast playing it.


Ok so I've been playing in an online racing league and the next race is at Le Mans and I've been running a server with time moving quickly so I can adjust to any and all lighting conditions but I've found that early morning or early evening there are parts of the lap where you have literally no vision.

IpGbiwo.jpg


I took that image on one section of the lap were I had literally zero vision, the pic I took was a little delayed as it was online and you can't pause so the image actually shows alot more vision than I had previously.
It is just me or is this totally broken? I'm aware that when the sun is low the light can be blinding (I've been a real driver for many years) but in WEC and other endurance series they have visors/tare-offs that help shield the drivers eyes from being blind, yet in GT6 I'm just blind lol.. I'm only posting this as to find out if its just me, if this is some odd glitch (like the many pit glitches that happen in online races, or in quali sessions everyone spawns in the same position and cars end up flying miles into the air due to collisions etc).
 
Were you driving a Bentley Speed 8? Because I'm wondering if in cockpit view would be different?
 
Were you driving a Bentley Speed 8? Because I'm wondering if in cockpit view would be different?
Yeah I am (as I am in a race series) and it is and it isn't sometimes its the same other times its better... but the view in the cockpit for the S8 is pretty bad and I can't race with such restricted vision :p
 
Hmmm, is this light constant even if you change direction on the track ? Because I also like to play with time/weather setting and sure, I came across some blinding lights on some circuits late in the afternoon or in the morning as you seems to experience ...
 
Hmmm, is this light constant even if you change direction on the track ? Because I also like to play with time/weather setting and sure, I came across some blinding lights on some circuits late in the afternoon or in the morning as you seems to experience ...

No, if you change direction the lighting is different but almost equally blinding... at that part of the track I'm facing the sun so it makes sense that I'd be a little blinded by the light, but the light blindness was so bad that I couldn't even see the front of my own car (from the view I posted in the pic)... which is pretty crazy... but everywhere else instead of the light coming from the sun and being blinding it is reflected of nearly every surface; curbs, signs, barriers, people and the road (even when it's not rained).

Mulsanne for example is totally blind, as you come to the curb at the start of the corner looking for a breaking point your maybe a meter or so from the curb and you can't see it becasue of the light... it's madness lol
 
Very strange indeed ... especially if you change direction and the sunlight is still that bright. Maybe it's really a bug. :(
 
If you upped the in-game expoure, turn it down a bit. I use +0.5 and no problems except for willow springs noon
 
This is a constant problem in the game. Some tracks are really bad under certain lighting conditions, like Nurburgring at around 6am to 11pm. I can't enjoy my Arcade endurance at the Nurburgring like I did in GT5 because of the horrible shift between dark and light. The contrast, or what I feel is some sort of saturation filter is way off and Premium cars almost look like standards in cock pit view as you can't see anything. It's like wearing really dark sunglasses all the time.

The glare seen here is something that I've encountered before too. It is mostly noticeable in Willow Springs at around 7am, four turns before the straight.

the lighting system in GT6 is good at certain point, but many times it will really interfere with vision, making it a not so enjoyable experience.

After almost two months with the game, I dare to say I would trade the "realism" of the lighting effects for more visibility.

These visibility problems are becoming a real nuisance...
 
If you upped the in-game expoure, turn it down a bit. I use +0.5 and no problems except for willow springs noon
Will give it a go, how does this affect visibility at night??
 
Ya it happened to me when GT6 was release, therefore I turn the "brightness/Gamma" settings lower in GT6.
But in order to look nice, you need to adjust your TV video settings as well
 
Will give it a go, how does this affect visibility at night??
At night its ok, its brighter than default settings... in fact default settings are too dark everywhere IMO
 
What time of day is it at that screenshot?
 
I use 0.0 with full RGB gamut on a PC monitor and haven't really had any serious issues, nothing like what was posted. Tunnel exits are bright, and the "reflection" on the tarmac from a low sun, but I think that's the point?

The dynamic "exposure" controls in the renderer itself are more camera-like than eye-like, still, though. But that's perhaps because the translation from cameras to displays is well understood - I don't think it's very easy to simulate the dynamic range and accommodation of the eye-brain on a normal display.

Weirdness is bound to happen anyway with anything of any complexity, sadly.
 
The dynamic "exposure" controls in the renderer itself are more camera-like than eye-like, still, though. But that's perhaps because the translation from cameras to displays is well understood - I don't think it's very easy to simulate the dynamic range and accommodation of the eye-brain on a normal display.

The main issue is probably that the eye is so much more sensitive than any screen, so if the game would recreate the entire range from the brightest to the darkest of what an eye would be able to see, the midtones would be low-contrast and grayed out.

Camera:
dim2.jpg

Eye:
dim1.jpg

The camera picture is how reality (midtones) appears to us, it's an absolute representation. What's missing is the brightest and darkest shades, because the screen can't recreate those.

The picture below is a relative representation. Relative to the brightest and darkest shades that the eye can see, this is what reality would look like if the range was compressed to fit within the range of a screen.
 
Yep, it's a shame that the display hardware dynamic range issue is unlikely to change, and that many TVs still seem to have less than "full" gamut, of an already reduced gamut (I don't know why that would be), making it worse.

Having more per-pixel post-processing power should improve things, maybe even allowing the introduction of (subtle) local tone mapping into games. Not exactly realistic, but our eyes kind of work "locally", so it's psychologically "justified", to a degree. :)
 
Back