...Like ClockworkMusic 

• Thread starter Drift260Z
  • 6 comments
hachi_kid
well...like the new Daft Punk album, this one is incredibly anticipated and it's also a different turn with what QotSA has done in the past. to me, this is album of the year. anyone else heard it? it's a lot darker, and a bit slower than the usual energy they have about their music. that being said, it's the slower parts that give the album dynamics. really nice to hear from these guys.

I'd honestly say this is some of the best work Queens of the Stone Age has done. I know there will be a lot of people that will disagree and people that want another Rated R or SftD...but this just isn't that. it's something else...that's what they're good at making...

anyone else heard it?

I've been meaning to give it a listen (along with The National's new album, The Knife's, Major Lazer's, David Bowie's and Daughter's), but the Daft Punk album has totally sidetracked me. :lol: So many amazing albums being released this year!

It leaked and they've released six or so songs themselves. The also played it live in full the other night, it's on youtube.

I've only given it a few listens but I'm not keen on the most part. My favourite albums are R and SFTD, I like the fast, heavy QOTSA and it just isn't there on this album as a whole. It's pretty mellow and most songs sound like they're about to get going but never quite get there.

I think it needs a few more listens but so far it's not doing much for me.

I think that's fairly consistent with the album's inception, though. Songs for the Deaf was a drive through the night from Los Angeles to the desert for a recording session, and Era Vulgaris was Josh Homme caught in the traffic along his daily drive. So I think a large part of ... Like Clockwork is going to reflect the way the band was never really satisifed with their approach; listening to "I Appear Missing", there's definately a theme of trying to force change onto the world instead of letting it come naturally, and then tearing things up when you get frustrated and starting over without really considering why you failed in the first place. And there's a few jarring changes in tempo on "Kalopia" that seemed to be deliberately timed to throw the listener off-balance.

I think the primary theme of ... Like Clockwork is really about trying to break out of a pattern that you think you've been caught in, unaware that this supposed break away is the pattern that you're trying to escape. It's Josh Homme trying to take a new approach to his recording, and the journey of it is the way he is walking on a tightrope between something truly new and simply doing more of the same.

Back