Like the wind test track race.

United States
None of your business
I've decided to do my very first race report on the "Like the wind" Test track race.

For this race, I've decided to use a modded Dodge Viper GTS.

Total power is 910 hp, with stage 3 NA tuning, stock computer chip, and stock exhaust(Because i like the sound of the stock exhaust on the GTS).

The full lineup is:

Minolta Toyota 88C-V Race Car '89

Gillet Vertigo Race Car '04

Nissan R390 GT1 Race car '98

Chaparral 2D Race Car '67

Sauber Mercedes C9 Race car '89

Dodge Viper GTS '99

A-spec points: 200.

Lap 1: I get off to a relatively crappy start, smoking my R1 tires off the rims as i pull off the line. I enter turn 1 at 227 MPH, catching up the the Chaparral. I pass him as I enter turn 2(If you've ever watched NASCAR, you'd know that the ovals have 4 "Turns", with each turn on the oval split into 2 sections).
I attempt to slingshot around the Gillet in the middle of turn 2, but I lose what little down force was keeping my car on the road. I shoot up the track and hit the guardrail at 240 MPH and go spinning out. I'm able to recover relatively quickly and get back on the track, exiting turn 2 onto the backstretch at 141 mph. I enter turn 3 at 235-240 mph, and I pass both the Chaparral and the Gillet as I enter turn 4. I exit turn 4 at 240 mph and lap 2 begins.

Lap 2: I race down the front stretch, and enter turn 1 at 243 mph, with the HUD Indicating that the Minolta Toyota is 10 seconds ahead of me, but I don't need to worry much, as I am slowly catching up. I exit the curve onto the backstretch at 240 mph, with the Minolta 8 seconds ahead. I enter turn 3 at 243 mph, with the lead car 7.5 seconds ahead. I exit the curve onto the front stretch at 239 mph, with the Minolta 6 seconds ahead.

Lap 3: I enter turn 1 at 244 mph, with the Minolta a mere 5 seconds ahead of me. I exit the curve, and catch up to the Nissan R390 and the Sauber Mercedes. I slingshot around them. as i pass them, I gain a visual of the Minolta, as I enter turn 3 at 260 mph. I catch up the the Minolta at the end of turn 4 onto the front stretch.

Lap 4: I stay behind the Minolta, and attempt to match his speed. I find that he is going only 235 mph. I enter turn 1, and nearly spin out as I let off the throttle to stay behind him. that puts me down to 221 mph in the middle of turn 2. I regain my speed and exit onto the backstretch at 240 mph. On the backstretch, I decide to have a little more fun with the Minolta, and start "Bump-drafting" it. As I bump draft him, I see why he is only going 235. His engine is hitting the limiter at 240 mph, so the guy can't do much in terms of speed. I enter turns 3 and 4 and slow down a bit, so I can slingshot around him on the front straight. Then, he starts drifting down to the bottom of the track. I realize that he is going to make pit stop. I get behind him, and jam the throttle to the floor in an attempt to gain more speed for the front straight.

Lap 5: I exit the turn onto lap 5 at 250 mph. I am surprised to see that the Minolta is the only one who has pitted so far, and the other 2 cars behind me on the front stretch stayed out. I enter turn 1 at 248 mph, waiting to see what the 2 cars behind me still on the backstretch would do, although it really wouldn't matter now as I knew I was going to win anyways. I check my HUD, and see that my R1 tires have now just warmed up fully, so it looks like I chose the perfect tires(which were also the cheapest racing tires too). On the middle of the backstretch, I see that the other 2 cars did not pit, so during the entire race, only the Minolta pitted. Nearing the end of the straight, I decide to use my nitrous, which has been sitting there patiently. With nothing but open road ahead of me, I press the button. I go rocketing into turn 3 at 260 mph. I keep the nitrous going as I go through the turn, and run out just as I exit at 270 mph. My car slows down, and I cross the finish line at 250 mph.

I wish it was longer than 5 laps. There should be some 8 hour or 24 hour test track endurance race in gt5. Well, 24 hours does seem to bee a little ridiculous though. Maybe a 24 hour race at the Daytona international speedway track that i've seen in a gt5 video.

I didn't know the Chapparal 2D, one of my all time favourites, was in 'like the wind'...(rubs eyes) I really need to pay more attention to the AI :lol:. I just won that race with an S2000 GT1, it wasn't easy. Fun race though!

lol. Well, you sure wouldn't like being a nascar racer now would you?

Not really. Ovals is about who has the faster car. Yes driver skill is somewhat important. But not nearly as much as road courses. There's so many things a driver can to with their car to gain position and/or defend their position. Even if they have the inferior car they can hold the driver with the faster car off. (i.e. Senna) In oval racing you just have to let them pass or be penalized with a stop and go.
But that's just me. I'm more of a fan of "clean racing" than "bump and grind racing." Maybe if there were more cars on the track in GT4 it would be more entertaining.

Nice report, seems you had it harder than me when I used a non-nitroused 800+ bhp Supra RZ, though I can't remember which line up I faced.

I'd like to see a longer oval endurance (4-6 hours max though) myself but the problem with GT4 is the lack of traffic. I liked the oval races on Indycar Racing, especially at the Michigan Speedway as there was always traffic to contend with regularly but in GT4 6 cars is too little to keep you vaguely interested for more than 5 laps that this race offers.

At least with GT5 there will be much more opponents to race and oval events could work quite well.

The problem with doing an endurnace oval race at the Test Course is that the Test Course is made to accomodate cars from its straights to its curved banks with as little drama as possible. The only dramatic moments (therefore) happen as you draft another car, and hope they don't catch a draft to pass you.

That's why Super-Duper Speedway feels more exciting as an oval than the Test Course. At least at SS, you need to use brakes occasionally as well as think about how you're going to set yourself up as you enter the curves, while still keeping a lead on the Ai. JMO.

It was funny to drive that Like the Wind -event with my 940 bhp RUF CTR2, with NOS and top speed of 280 mph! :) Every single car just WUSHD far away behind -- I know it's far from professional driving but it is funny...

Once I drove that with Nissan R92 CP +1000 bhp and R4 tyres... In the last lap the tyres were completely RED, and the driving even on Test Course was a nightmare.

Latest Posts

Back