Linking Drifts

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
LordNightshade82
I have recently got into cars, and have been really looking into them, i went and got this game so i could mess around with making cars and driving them, im fairly good at it but i have come across a problem, i cant link my drifts. I am able to drift around corners though i struggle (the bigger the easier) and when i leave the corner i flick my car round to enter the next drift but i just spin uncontrolably how do i prevent this? And something else, what is the best way to earn money, i am on the third license box (out of the six not including red bull challenge) and a quick tip for answering as well i drive a RX7 which was made with a budget of 50k so if you could base things around that if it helped, that would be great, but al round tips help aswell!

First off, you're best learning car control on comfort hards, 90% of the drifters on GTP use those to level out the playing field. What I would advise is drive around a track, trying your best NOT to drift to see where the limits of your car are, then move on to thinking about getting sideways. This will give you a good idea of how fast to enter corners when it comes to drifting.

The tires may seem quite slippy or slow compared to what you've been using but this game doesn't have a good sense of speed, you can be going 70mph and it will look like 30mph for example. Although, the speed is actually pretty much bang on when we're talking about distances and time when you compare to real track footage. You can ask @TwinturboCH about the comparison of CH tires and tires that people use to drift in real life. He's been in the drifting "business" in real life for years so you can trust his opinion.

Anyway, look around the drifting forum for some base tunes to start off with and just practice, practice, PRACTICE.

For most people it takes months from being a novice to becoming completely comfortable drifting a car. Bare in mind also, all cars will feel different and tuning is a bigger thing to consider than GT5, where some settings didn't effect the cars handling as it should.

You can watch this in the mean time, it's a handy thing to watch for beginners;

👍

It's gonna take alot of patience.

FC or FD?

Both cars are fine to learn on with minimal power mods.

Which mode will you be drifting in (drift trial or time trial)? This is critical as I wouldn't recommend trying to juggle both modes while learning.

As for money, grind through the red bull challenges, but only after logging in for 5 consecutive days to double your earnings. Or you could do what I did and microtransaction to save time.

Last edited:
thanks to everyones help, but i have one dilema which once i get around i will be able to drift extremely well, how do i make the car slip more, i use CH tires but what setting should i tinker around with to suit and what should i (possibly) set the numbers to on that setting, or set the numbers around

thanks to everyones help, but i have one dilema which once i get around i will be able to drift extremely well, how do i make the car slip more, i use CH tires but what setting should i tinker around with to suit and what should i (possibly) set the numbers to on that setting, or set the numbers around

First. What's the power of the Rx7.? Do you have a Fully Custom LSD as Suspension?

First of all, we need to know what car you are using. There are a lot of Rx7's out there.

If you are using an FC, than props to you on a good car choice.
If you're using an FD, I'd suggest to not use it. (Unless it's the Efini version which has less grip than the Spirit R).

You will need between 300 and 400 hp to get a car to work well, as a beginner car. Can go a little higher but I'd advice against it.

Lock your differential (5 or 60 initial torque, 60 accel, 60 decel.)

Use soft springs. This will make you feel the car more during weight transfers. (If you are using a wheel, which I can't derive from your posts.)

Also, Serum made a very good comment on choosing one of 2 drift modes. Don't try to learn in both at the same time. I'd suggest learning in the Drift Trial mode personally.

ill put the settings and what my car has, i will mention now im driving a Subaru Imperza sedan WRX STi (Typer-III) '02 and not my rx7 as i sold it, and i use a controller, the way i have set my car up, is so that when i drift, i go into the turn slowly and then full throttle, so that the cars power pulls it through, this, however, i do not want. i want it to slide, where in my settings have i gone wrong. Here they are.
Ride Height 110 130 Spring Rate 4.09 3.70 Dampers C 2 1 Dampers E 3 3 Anti Roll Bars 3 3 Camber Angle 3.8 2.0 Toe Angle 0.00 -0.40 Brake Bal 5 5 stage 2 engine Semi Racing Exhaust Isometric Exhaust Manifold Catalytic Converter: Sports Intake Tuning Mid RPM Range Turbo nothing on my weight nothing on my transmission And i use CH tires

Well you shouldve kept the rx7 honestly.Mainly because ALOT of people block 4wd/AWD from online rooms because they dont consider it REAL drifting but since you already bought it lol.Your setup doesnt seem horrible except for the camber,I personally never use rear camber but thats just me.Also,try adjusting your brake balance,i have mine at 2-7 and when I hit the brakes I slide sideways into the corner(I dont drift on straights as most people do so that is how i initiate).Check your controller senitivity as well,I cranked mine to +5 and it helped alot when I was first starting.
Edit:forgot to mention,how soft/stiff you want your car is up to you,no one can really give you a tune because eveyone has their own style.Good luck and send me a pm if you need specific information or want to add me on psn,me and my drifting guys are always down for helping new guys

thanks, money isnt a problem at the moment with 200 login bonus and redbull, events etc and im making a supra build atm anyway :P i will use this as my main drift car as i love the supra just havent been able to use it, so now i have the basics i will use this, i appreciate the help everyone is giving to me if you have any more ideas or tips or even tuning builds it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks, money isnt a problem at the moment with 200 login bonus and redbull, events etc and im making a supra build atm anyway :P i will use this as my main drift car as i love the supra just havent been able to use it, so now i have the basics i will use this, i appreciate the help everyone is giving to me if you have any more ideas or tips or even tuning builds it would be greatly appreciated.
Supra is an excellent base.

Can be drifted with low power, but has huge scope for extra power, and it handles that extra power beautifully.

Start with less power, then work up.

I can give you my tune theres no guarantee it will work for you though.Its always best to figure out the tuning on your own as well.The easiest way to learn tuning is to adjust your ride height first then go through the rest of the settings one by one(adjust spring rate,test,dampers,test ect)

First of all, we need to know what car you are using. There are a lot of Rx7's out there.

If you are using an FC, than props to you on a good car choice.
If you're using an FD, I'd suggest to not use it. (Unless it's the Efini version which has less grip than the Spirit R).

You will need between 300 and 400 hp to get a car to work well, as a beginner car. Can go a little higher but I'd advice against it.

Lock your differential (5 or 60 initial torque, 60 accel, 60 decel.)

Use soft springs. This will make you feel the car more during weight transfers. (If you are using a wheel, which I can't derive from your posts.)

Also, Serum made a very good comment on choosing one of 2 drift modes. Don't try to learn in both at the same time. I'd suggest learning in the Drift Trial mode personally.

Yeah about that, this supra has 668 BHP so is that good or should it be lowered, i heard the more HP the better but if thats true i dunno.

Yeah about that, this supra has 668 BHP so is that good or should it be lowered, i heard the more HP the better but if thats true i dunno.
Untrue.setup is everything,if you have enough power to initiate and hold a drift your fine.I have at least 4 drift cars with less than 270hp and I can drift with 5-600hp 370's/Rx7's ect.Depends on the track really but to much HP when starting up can make things real difficult for you.
Edit:any members can jump in and correct me if I'm wrong..I'm just going off my own experiences I don't want to steer him the wrong way lol.

If your having issues, try less power.

Engine stage 1 and low rpm turbo is where all my drift cars start.

Some cars suit lots of power, others suit less.

It's definately easier to get to grips with refining your technique with less power. As @Gonales said, 300-400 is more than enough to be getting started with.

Huge power takes Great throttle control.

yeah this is having problems so ill move down to low stage 1 engine and then just screw around with the settings until i can drift it, but that AWD has screwed up any chance i had of drifting a RWD :P

Back