Links with explicit language, and Language Warnings?

• Thread starter twitcher
  • 3 comments
Canada
Canada
I’ve always been under the impression that when linking a video that has explicit language in it, we’re supposed to indicate what’s in the video by declaring a “Language Warning” in the post.

I’ve just had a post deleted because the video I linked had “too many expletives for a simple language warning”.

What is the appropriate number of expletives that can still get by with a simple language warning? Are we talking about different words, or does repeating the same expletive multiple times count?

Would I be ok to post the video if I gave a more detailed language warning?

Just looking for some guidance so I don’t make the same mistake again.

What is the appropriate number of expletives that can still get by with a simple language warning? Are we talking about different words, or does repeating the same expletive multiple times count?
The limit is 3 ****s and 2 *****, although just 1 **** is right out.

If you think that's too flippant, you will not get a precise answer.

Would I be ok to post the video if I gave a more detailed language warning?
In this case, I would say no. If it was a really important point that had to be made then possibly, but it isn't.

What is the appropriate number of expletives that can still get by with a simple language warning?
Acceptable Use Policy
You will not use profanity in the forums, nor link to content which contains offensive language without sufficient warning.
Zero.

The warning needs to be sufficient. When your post is 98% directly embedded media and 2% "This is funny, language warning", that's not sufficient - someone can click on the content without reading and be immediately thrust into a video that would get them fired (or facing awkward questions while their six-year old is isolating with them) when it blurts out from their work computer or phone.

If you absolutely must share media of this type don't embed it. Put spoiler tags around it and make it crystal clear that the content isn't safe for work in any way. Like this:

Your sweary content here, for some reason.

That would qualify as sufficient - someone has to click through the warning to access the content. Nest them if you want to double-bag it.

Or consider not sharing it at all.

Zero.

The warning needs to be sufficient. When your post is 98% directly embedded media and 2% "This is funny, language warning", that's not sufficient - someone can click on the content without reading and be immediately thrust into a video that would get them fired (or facing awkward questions while their six-year old is isolating with them) when it blurts out from their work computer or phone.

If you absolutely must share media of this type don't embed it. Put spoiler tags around it and make it crystal clear that the content isn't safe for work in any way. Like this:

That would qualify as sufficient - someone has to click through the warning to access the content. Nest them if you want to double-bag it.

Or consider not sharing it at all.
Thanks. I just didn’t know what staff were looking for in terms of “sufficient”. Now I know, thanks for clearing this up, I’ll follow these steps next time.

The limit is 3 ****s and 2 *****, although just 1 **** is right out.

If you think that's too flippant, you will not get a precise answer.

In this case, I would say no. If it was a really important point that had to be made then possibly, but it isn't.
Well that clears up nothing. Thanks for the non-help.

Back