Little known, interesting race circuits

• Thread starter adam46
  • 10 comments
United Kingdom
Isle of Wight
AdamNeverKnows
Hello,

Apologies if this has already been done, I haven't found anything.

I love finding out about eccentric circuits whose spotlight is limited to due to a lack of international series or significant coverage of national championships. There are some really interesting circuits that have a truly unique feel to them.

Bangsaen Street Circuit, Thailand

This place reminds me of somewhere like Montjuic, mixed with Macau - there are some seriously quick sections, and a chicane forced by a water feature!

Nenumo Ziedas, Lithuania

This circuit strikes me as frozen in the 70's - it's very high-speed and undulating. The tyre chicane on the main straight is sort of brilliant in its simplicity, in my eyes!

Ahvenisto, Finland

Again, a fairly old-school layout, complete with a figure-8, undulating configuration and some serious beauty spots.

Mobikrog, Slovenia

Fairly uneventful circuit, but that arch after the second corner fascinates me.

Rudskogen, Norway

Yes it's a bit of a bland layout, but the rock faces after the opening complex look like a real-life Trial Mountain!

That's the tip of a big iceberg - I spend far too much time watching national series around the world!

Feel free to show off your cool, perhaps over-looked national circuits that are distinct and exciting one way or another!

Last edited:
I LOVE studying race circuits. To me, circuits are the most under appreciated aspect of motorsport, and I think that’s a real shame.

Atlanta Motorsports Park (AMP) - for those who say Tilke is a terrible circuit designer who has no clue what he’s doing...

Potrero de los Funes - possibly the most beautiful circuit in the world?

Salzburgring - great old school circuit with some cool corners

Enna Pergusa - I like circuits around lakes :P

Area 27 - my local circuit, located in Oliver BC. Designed by Jacques Villeneuve

It’s still used quite a bit.

Basically all the Argentinian national series stop there once a year.

Thats great. I was going by wikipedia where the last race is listed as 2011. Maybe there is a chance to again see some international racing there.

Inje Circuit, South Korea

Ningbo Circuit, China

KL City GP, Kuala Lumpur - unfortunately, I don’t think the circuit is in use anymore, it only lasted a couple of years

V8SC was supposed to race there, but the deal fell through. It would have been nuts

Teretonga Raceway, NZ - gnarly T1 that, combined with the long straight, results in some ballsy slipstreaming battles

I found an interesting one today - Gran Canaria's Circuito de Maspalomas.

Circuito-Maspalomas.jpg

It's not what I'd call your average airport layout!

Riverside Regional Raceway
After professional racing at Riverside International Raceway ended in 1988 and the property was sold off for redevelopment, the circuit surprisingly reopened in 1989 as Riverside Regional Raceway. Granted, signature features like Turn 8 and the mile-long backstretch were bulldozed and replaced with a twisty, technical new section between the old Turn 7a and the backstretch just before the kink, but the Esses and the long, banked Turn 9 remained for Southern California club racers to enjoy. Alas, it was a temporary reprieve, as the remaining circuit was demolished in late 1989.

Palm Springs Vintage Races
This temporary street circuit (with a permanent section through a vacant field) was the spiritual successor to the races that took place at Palm Springs Airport in the 1950s. These races were held from the mid-1980s til the early-1990s (IIRC).

Ford L.A. Street Race
While the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach has been a staple of the Southern California motorsports calendar since 1975, there were also street races in Los Angeles proper in the years leading up to the turn of the century. The original course wound its way through the northeast corner of Downtown L.A. near Olvera Street and Union Station, while for later runnings (like the one shown here in 2000, which I believe was the last one) the event moved to Exposition Park.

I think Sandown would be considered "well known" because of the 500, so here's one track you won't know about - Morgan Park in Queensland.
Morgan Park.PNG

Back