LMP1 Cars should be in separate class?

• Thread starter Blair mann
  • 26 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Dose anyone else find it annoying that you can't just race in LMP1 cars instead you have to race against a bunch of stupid concept cars what look out of place. I personally think they should be two separate classes, keep gr1 with all the concept cars and make a new class called pr1 for what stands for prototype 1 and this class is strictly for LMP1 cars only. And in the future if they add LMP2 or LMP3 cars they can call that class pr2 and pr3. When I play a racing game I want it to be as realistic as real world racing series and driving a LMP1 car with stupid concept cars looks stupid in my opinion. It puts me off racing in gr1 races. Like when le mans comes around everyone will want to race in lmp1 cars but the class is just flooded with concept cars what break immersion in my opinion. I know this will never happen but it's a good thought and would like to see what other people think of this idea.

Dose anyone else find it annoying that you can't just race in LMP1 cars instead you have to race against a bunch of stupid concept cars what look out of place. I personally think they should be two separate classes, keep gr1 with all the concept cars and make a new class called pr1 for what stands for prototype 1 and this class is strictly for LMP1 cars only. And in the future if they add LMP2 or LMP3 cars they can call that class pr2 and pr3. When I play a racing game I want it to be as realistic as real world racing series and driving a LMP1 car with stupid concept cars looks stupid in my opinion. It puts me off racing in gr1 races. Like when le mans comes around everyone will want to race in lmp1 cars but the class is just flooded with concept cars what break immersion in my opinion. I know this will never happen but it's a good thought and would like to see what other people think of this idea.

I get your point but that would reduce the amount of available cars, also for gr. 3 and gr. 4....

I understand, but separating Le Mans Protoype 1 from Prototypes, so the Prototypes have their own category, just for Prototypes...

I agree with you and I half agree with the OP. I'm on the fence. I feel the VGT prototypes should, at the very least, conform to LeMans prototype technical rules like the Citroen GT and the Gr3 RCZ are.

Those VGT cars just look like VGTs and they somewhat spoil the experience. I am hoping for the GT6 LeMans prototypes to be added (Jaguar, Mazda, etc)

I agree with you and I half agree with the OP. I'm on the fence. I feel the VGT prototypes should, at the very least, conform to LeMans prototype technical rules like the Citroen GT and the Gr3 RCZ are.

Those VGT cars just look like VGTs and they somewhat spoil the experience. I am hoping for the GT6 LeMans prototypes to be added (Jaguar, Mazda, etc)
Wait so your not ok with racing VGT's but you are ok with racing 30-60 year old cars along side modern lmps? Logic !

There is another issue in that the real prototypes already in the game span different generations of rule-sets and performance, as well as aesthetics.

I agree with the idea, but I think a better option would be the ability to choose which specific cars to include as eligible in an event. There could be races similar to one-make events but instead being open to a limited selection instead of a single car.

There is another issue in that the real prototypes already in the game span different generations of rule-sets and performance.

I agree with the idea, but I think a better option would be the ability to choose which specific cars to include as eligible in an event. There could be races similar to one-make events but instead being open to a limited selection instead of a single car.

LMP1 just doesn't have enough cars .

Wait so your not ok with racing VGT's but you are ok with racing 30-60 year old cars along side modern lmps? Logic !

60? Dude, what?

But to the point I assume you are trying to make, the 1991 LeMans Pole was 3:31. The 787B, Sauber Merc, and Jag were in that race. The current lap record is 3:13.

18 seconds difference. With BoP, I bet that could be evened out.

But, in any event, the logic is that the VGT's are completely hypothetical cars (even if there are some rolling chassis) where as the LMP's are all modeled after actual cars with actual performance targets. Mazda's own ACTUAL LeMan's design is nothing like the LM55

http://www.caradvice.com.au/500134/mazda-rt24-p-le-mans-racer-revealed-with-447kw-2-0-litre-turbo/

The VGT's aren't prototypes because a prototype has to actually work. The VGTs are concept cars/styling exercises. They don't actually work.

I HATE HATE HATE HATE the inclusion of concepts in the game. I always have, with the exception of a few that "could" actually work such as the "LM" cars of previous title and the "Road Cars" of GTS. I realize they are all virtual, but the reason real cars matter to most of us is relevance. If there were no real cars at all, would we even play this game? We get excited over the virtual representations.

Actually, a great example that is in the game is the Gr3 Beetle and the Gr3 RCZ. The RCZ looks like it could roll out of a garage and onto a track, although I feel strongly that they should have used the 208 base that they used at Pike's Peak. As seen below.

Large%20Image_9370.jpg

But the Beetle is not even close to matching any kind of regulation. I am a huge VW fan, but I hate the Beetle Gr3. It spoils the illusion.

All the VGTs spoil the illusion. On the upside, at least the GR1 VGTs are useful cars rather than the Gr.X cars that are a completely pointless waste of time to develop.

Last edited:
I feel strongly that they should have used the 208 base that they used at Pike's Peak. As seen below.

The Peugeot VGT is basically the 208 T16 with a different body. It even has the same 1:1 power to weight ratio (875hp, 875kg).

The Peugeot VGT is basically the 208 T16 with a different body. It even has the same 1:1 power to weight ratio (875hp, 875kg).

But it still isn't though.

If you had a choich between the VGT and the 208 T16, with only one being included in the game, which would you pick?

I agree. I don't mind fictional race cars as long as they look and feel the part. Lancer Gr. 3? Amazing! WRX STI Gr. B? Cool!
Hyundai VGT whose engine isn't even technically allowed within the LMP1 regulations?
No.

At least the Tomahawk, even though not as immersive as the Gr. 3 and B fictional cars, reflect the LMP design philosophy that will occur in the 2020 regulation changes. If they're gonna make a VGT that'll be converted to an LMP, make them look (and function) like it

60? Dude, what?

But to the point I assume you are trying to make, the 1991 LeMans Pole was 3:31. The 787B, Sauber Merc, and Jag were in that race. The current lap record is 3:13.

18 seconds difference. With BoP, I bet that could be evened out.

But, in any event, the logic is that the VGT's are completely hypothetical cars (even if there are some rolling chassis) where as the LMP's are all modeled after actual cars with actual performance targets. Mazda's own ACTUAL LeMan's design is nothing like the LM55

http://www.caradvice.com.au/500134/mazda-rt24-p-le-mans-racer-revealed-with-447kw-2-0-litre-turbo/

The VGT's aren't prototypes because a prototype has to actually work. The VGTs are concept cars/styling exercises. They don't actually work.

I HATE HATE HATE HATE the inclusion of concepts in the game. I always have, with the exception of a few that "could" actually work such as the "LM" cars of previous title and the "Road Cars" of GTS. I realize they are all virtual, but the reason real cars matter to most of us is relevance. If there were not real cars at all, would we even play this game? We get excited over the virtual representations.

Actually, a great example that is in the game is the Gr3 Beetle and the Gr3 RCZ. The RCZ looks like it could roll out of a garage and onto a track, although I feel strongly that they should have used the 208 base that they used at Pike's Peak. As seen below.

Large%20Image_9370.jpg

But the Beetle is not even close to matching any kind of regulation. I am a huge VW fan, but I hate the Beetle Gr3. It spoils the illusion.

All the VGTs spoil the illusion. On the upside, at least the GR1 VGTs are useful cars rather than the Gr.X cars that are a completely pointless waste of time to develop.

I assumed he was talking about the Jaguar in game.

In Race Settings I would really like to see custom grids or, at the very least, the addition of more category options - LMP1 and Gr.1, LMP1 and Gr.3, Gr.3 and Gr.4 etc.

I love sportscar racing and hope to see the freedom of Assetto Corsa and PCars2 added to GTS as I have had some fantastic multiclass races there.
The VGT programme is something I enjoy apart from the occasional duff model - Daihatsu, MINI and Hyundai I'm looking at you.

Gr.1 needs some BOP adjustments though as there are currently some which are totally OP.

Well it would be brilliant to see a showdown between the TS050, R18 E-Tron and Porsche 919 without VGT's clogging up the grid...
How about privateer LMP1s instead of VGTs? We have BoP so they can just dial that in those privateer LMPs. Rebellion vs manufacturers, anyone?

I fully agree.

I think very frustrating to put concepts cars (VGTs) to run on Gr.1. They are fantasy cars. They are fictitious cars. They are liar cars. That's not cool.

It was preferable to put other LMP1 cars, such as Rebellion, Ginetta, Perrin, Manor etc. For example.

Like the category Gr. 3, I would prefer fictional LMP1 cars from Ferrari, Mercedes, Mazda and McLaren, than VGT cars, with these strange and futuristic designs. At least they would be possible cars and contemporary cars.

Or even put DPi cars such as Cadillac, Penske, Oreca, Ganassi, from IMSA. It would let the BOP do its balancing work.

Last edited:
There'd be almost nothing left in Gr.1 if you removed the VGT cars. Plus the VGT cars actually make the GTS car list a bit more unique, especially with how some of the cars are "what-if" takes on LMPs, like the Mazda and Hyundai entries. Heck, even IRL, there's just Toyota racing in LMP1. I think Gr.1 is a neat concept that's preferable to just having a relatively generic "LMP1" class. I'd do what other people ITT have suggested and just make an event/lobby that limits players to the real-world LMP racers.

Apparently Forza has exclusivity on those cars.

I hate exclusive licences. Project Cars 2 would do a better job with the DPI's than Forza.

I agree with the OP. I made a thread once on how Lmp1 should be in their own class. Vgt and Lmp1 do not go together.

Back