Deleted...

• Thread starter VBR
  • 23 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I always wondered wondered why this wasn't taught in school (but how scared would governments be if they couldn't use these fallacies!).

The bigger problem for me is that people argue not to decide who is right but to defend themselves against being wrong.

Its all about saving face, and as long as someone doesn't admit they have lost, or even understand that they have, then the argument will never be productive.

Most recently I have even seen people reject logic as being valid at all. The mental gymnastics people can do are olympic level!

Last edited:
The falacy, falacy one I find a lot here. Just because someone has argued their point poorly doesn't mean they are wrong.

Likewise, just because they've argued their point poorly doesn't mean they are right either.

I always wondered wondered why this wasn't taught in schoo

Depends on the courses you take I imagine. I had a debate class in high school and we went over this, same for the philosophy course I took in college.

Depends on the courses you take I imagine.

I never got offered Philosophy, but I love your prancing moose. Have a soft spot for Volvos but am a Tifosi at heart so your avatar made me smile.

This needs to be part of school curriculum

I think this sort of thing should be mandatory, with basics taught in later primary school (year 5/6 - things like ad hominem would be so easy to teach kids e.g "you smell" isn't a valid argument).

GT:S is kind of a breeding ground but I'd say it's part of human nature so it's everywhere lol

Reactions: VBR

Ask and ye shall receive. I’ll add it to my Life Skills course next term. Thanks for the suggestion.

Some just have trouble expressing themselves so they just lash out in anger.

I see this often. Many people, especially the young, don’t realise there are other alternatives when responding to an argument other than to use their meat clubs which seems to be an almost natural instinct for some.

tuquoque.jpg

This happens a lot :lol:

I went through what a fallacy is when I was in high school (discipline of Philosophy) but it was very brief. I know I had never heard about many of the fallacies that exist until I studied them on my own way later (after university even).

I also think everyone should study this topic in depth. It could save as all a ton of time and stupid arguments, discussions and policies.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's almost like they don't want people to wise up and stop fighting each other....:lol::lol::lol: I don't see a reason to not teach such topics. It'll be far more useful in life than some of the other subjects I can tell ya

I never got offered Philosophy, but I love your prancing moose. Have a soft spot for Volvos but am a Tifosi at heart so your avatar made me smile.

I think this sort of thing should be mandatory, with basics taught in later primary school (year 5/6 - things like ad hominem would be so easy to teach kids e.g "you smell" isn't a valid argument).
It was offered in my curriculum in Grade 11, although it's because my school doesn't follow the normal school curriculum and instead has a tailor-made one that's complimentary to the college it is under. It's a fun topic (apart from memorizing the specific names of each fallacy) to discuss and I agree that it should be on the regular school curriculum.

I bumped into an old acquaintance the other day, & while listening to him talk I noticed a fallacy in his reasoning. I never corrected him, but did find it very enlightening to be able to identify it & avoid being misled by his argument. It's not enough just to learn fallacies, we also need to be able to spot them too.

Playing devil's advocate here: if you really want to look at even the best arguments with a microscope, you can find fallacies everywhere.

It's just the big potholes and craters that frighten the crap out of me when the BRIDGE OUT sign is so damn obvious.

One more that isn't included. Reductio ad Hitlerum.

The statement that Hitler, Nazis, some other person universally agreed to be bad did this and thus it is a bad idea.

One more that isn't included. Reductio ad Hitlerum.

The statement that Hitler, Nazis, some other person universally agreed to be bad did this and thus it is a bad idea.

Sounds the same as the Genetic Fallacy: "You judged something as either good or bad on the basis of where it comes from, or from whom it came."

Last edited:
How about that conspiracy fallacy? "My theory, no matter how daft, must be considered because everyone not considering it is involved in covering it up."

How about that conspiracy fallacy? "My theory, no matter how daft, must be considered because everyone not considering it is involved in covering it up."

The conspiracy fallacy is a conspiracy, man. The government is doing it because some conspiracies are real, and they can't stop people saying it so they're just trying to make conspiracies seem ridiculous. But they're not, man. The government is a bunch of lizards, and they're trying to destroy us. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back