Logical Fallacies

Discussion in 'The Rumble Strip' started by VBR, Aug 3, 2018.

1. VBR

VBR Premium

Ever wondered why certain arguments don't actually make much sense? Ever wondered why certain reasoning rubs you up the wrong way? Ever wondered why trolls on the internet are so extraordinarily obnoxious? It's more than likely that they all have one thing in common; Logical Fallacies. I only learnt about these in recent years, & found them to be a real eye opener. What with all the interesting debates here on GT Planet, & the rational vs irrational points made in them, I thought this thread long-overdue. Click on the picture to find out more, &/or watch the videos below. Discuss...

"A logical fallacy is a flaw in reasoning. Logical fallacies are like tricks or illusions of thought...identify and call out dodgy logic wherever it may raise its ugly, incoherent head."

[​IMG]

:tup:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  2. Cerebral303

Cerebral303

I always wondered wondered why this wasn't taught in school (but how scared would governments be if they couldn't use these fallacies!).

The bigger problem for me is that people argue not to decide who is right but to defend themselves against being wrong.

Its all about saving face, and as long as someone doesn't admit they have lost, or even understand that they have, then the argument will never be productive.

Most recently I have even seen people reject logic as being valid at all. The mental gymnastics people can do are olympic level!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    Grippy and VBR like this.
  3. Lizard

Lizard Premium

The falacy, falacy one I find a lot here. Just because someone has argued their point poorly doesn't mean they are wrong.

Grippy, DesertPenguin and VBR like this.
  4. rono_thomas

rono_thomas Premium

You learn something new every day, as long as your eyes are open.

My new personal favourite Ad Hominem.

VBR likes this.
  5. VBR

VBR Premium

Likewise, just because they've argued their point poorly doesn't mean they are right either.

6. Lizard

Lizard Premium

True.

VBR likes this.
  7. DesertPenguin

DesertPenguin Premium

Me every day. I'm not good words hard...

VBR likes this.
  8. Joey D

Joey D Contributing Writer

Depends on the courses you take I imagine. I had a debate class in high school and we went over this, same for the philosophy course I took in college.

Cerebral303 likes this.
  9. Grippy

Grippy

This needs to be part of school curriculum

VBR and Cerebral303 like this.
  10. Cerebral303

Cerebral303

I never got offered Philosophy, but I love your prancing moose. Have a soft spot for Volvos but am a Tifosi at heart so your avatar made me smile.

I think this sort of thing should be mandatory, with basics taught in later primary school (year 5/6 - things like ad hominem would be so easy to teach kids e.g "you smell" isn't a valid argument).

VBR and Grippy like this.
  11. Grippy

Grippy

Yeah I feel like it'd do a world of good. Teching people from young, how to argue civily will help when they get older. Some just have trouble expressing themselves so they just lash out in anger.

12. -Fred-

-Fred- Staff Emeritus

So, we're basically describing everyone in the GT:S section? :lol:

VBR and Grippy like this.
  13. Grippy

Grippy

GT:S is kind of a breeding ground but I'd say it's part of human nature so it's everywhere lol

VBR likes this.
  14. W3HS

W3HS Premium

Ask and ye shall receive. I’ll add it to my Life Skills course next term. Thanks for the suggestion.

I see this often. Many people, especially the young, don’t realise there are other alternatives when responding to an argument other than to use their meat clubs which seems to be an almost natural instinct for some.

15. Ridox2JZGTE

Ridox2JZGTE Premium

tuquoque.jpg

This happens a lot :lol:

VBR likes this.