Logitech DF Pro Wheel Shake

I've done a search and couldn't find an answer to my question.

I have a Logitech Driving Force Pro wheel, just got it for xmas from a friend. I love it. I recently got a copy of GT4 Prologue, and just started playing. I'm not playing it on 900 degree mode since I don't have a real good table for it yet.

Anyway, I was doing the driving school tests and when I get a car over 200 km/h the wheel tends to start shaking back and forth. I thought maybe it was a neat effect of some sort but after a while it gets very irratating. At high speeds it makes the car veer back and forth.

It's not because the wheel isn't mounted well enough, it's fine. I'm not sure if there are any settings I can change around or anything in the menus because I obviously can't read japanese. Can I turn off force feedback all together? I don't want to, but if I have to, I will.

If anyone has any recommendations I would very much appreciate them.

This is my first post, be gentle!

welcome to GTP dreesemonkey :) I can't answer your question(i can't afford a DFP:()but im sure someone around here will help out.

P.S whos your freind?:D

I think it you played in 900 degree mode the car veering effect on the car will be reduced.

dreesemonkey
I've done a search and couldn't find an answer to my question.

I have a Logitech Driving Force Pro wheel, just got it for xmas from a friend. I love it. I recently got a copy of GT4 Prologue, and just started playing. I'm not playing it on 900 degree mode since I don't have a real good table for it yet.

Anyway, I was doing the driving school tests and when I get a car over 200 km/h the wheel tends to start shaking back and forth. I thought maybe it was a neat effect of some sort but after a while it gets very irratating. At high speeds it makes the car veer back and forth.

It's not because the wheel isn't mounted well enough, it's fine. I'm not sure if there are any settings I can change around or anything in the menus because I obviously can't read japanese. Can I turn off force feedback all together? I don't want to, but if I have to, I will.

If anyone has any recommendations I would very much appreciate them.

This is my first post, be gentle!

THis has been covered before, but finding it with search would have been difficult as it is covered in a couple of treads titled 'vibrating needles'.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1260580#post1260580

This is a link to the most recent of these threads and the following is my last post on it which may help to explain what is going on.

Scaff
I've said it before, but here is my post from the last thread on this subject.

"The effect is a realistic one, its a combination of high downforce in a light car with a stiff suspension set-up. Hence the reason its occuring at speed for the NSX, F1 and GT.

The SL55, M5, etc don't suffer from it due to softer spring settings, higher weight and much lower downforce.

Anyone with a copy of 'In-car 956' should check out the laps of Fuji in a Porsche 956, the same effect can be seen in the car (massive vibration and the car bottoming out in places) and Derek Bell can clearly be seen fighting to keep the car straight.

Its even more apparent on the laps of the Nurburgring (main straight) and Le Mans (Mulsane straight).

It should be included in GT4 and I for one will be very p**sed off if its not. You want high cornering speeds from high downforce and stiffer suspension then take the trade off in straight line stability; if not lower the downforce and soften the suspension for higher and more stable speeds on the straights."

The vibrating needles ties in with this, just watch any in-car footage of cars at high speed and the vibrations will affect the instruments.

Its a personal view (aren't they all) but for me it adds realism to the game. Most people want realistic handling, intellegent AI, etc; in my view the high speed stability issues with high downforce cars and needles vibrating at high speed is an integral part of this.

Hope this helps; once you get used to the effect it provides a more realistic feel to the game and it soon becomes natural to correct it.

It may sound a bit strange, but when it happends do not grip the wheel harder, it will just increase the problem. Do as you would in a real car and keep a firm but light grip on the wheel and you will find the number of correction you need to make are a lot less.

Thanks for the feedback (har har, what a pun) guys. I guess I'll just suck it up for now. I understand the whole downforce issue, but it was happening to me with on the stock rx8 overtake challenge. I've been in a rx8 at 120+mph more than a few times and I'm quite sure there was no shake like I was getting.

It adds to the realism, but long, high-speed courses are really going to get on my nerves after a while.

Welcome dreesemonkey. Have a look around, make new friends and make sure you have fun.

I was looking at that yesterday in fact. You can't fully turn off the force feedback for the DFP, but you can for the controller. The options in the DFP screen allows you to set the feedback to mild, intermediate and strong, but not off. Sorry :(

Cheers, Jamie

well i suppose gt4 is out in some places, is there anyon who can confirm if this feature is implemented into gt4? im against it, as dreesemonkey says, its become very irritating.

Ahhhh what a nice and fuzzy forum. It's nice to be online somewhere that doesn't flame new guys for not knowing how to drive.

I'm incredibly impressed with everyone's skills on this board, it certainly makes me feel quite humbled!

I can't wait for gt4 to come out so I can finally get some good practice :)

dreesemonkey
Ahhhh what a nice and fuzzy forum. It's nice to be online somewhere that doesn't flame new guys for not knowing how to drive.

I'm incredibly impressed with everyone's skills on this board, it certainly makes me feel quite humbled!

I can't wait for gt4 to come out so I can finally get some good practice :)

I know what you mean dreesemonkey. I'm still trying to complete GTP, and I got it the day it came out. There are some on here who finished in a week.

Cheers, Jamie

jlsk8ter
All you need to do to play without force feedback is to just unplug the power cord, then it will be completely off.

OMG! Of course.
The steering wheel and pedals gets it's power via the usb port on the PS2. So the power pack is for the force feed back.

Well done m8.

Cheers, Jamie

This is actually a feature, in real car situation, the cars lose much traction, thus making your wheel shake. More infor can be found under the review by "GameSpot Hardware"

if the FF is on the powercord, cud a switch into the line that u can press while its shaking u senseless, then release when you slow down.

Although massacreing ur DFP would be heart breaking!

That is bad idea. You would have to keep pushing that button and thus not concentrate hard enough on racing ...

The wheel doesn't shake that much, try holding the wheel loosely and concentrate on going dead straight, or lay off the pills. I get a bit of a wobble, nothing bad, but if you push in one direction even slightly it gets a bit mad.

-Rob

I cant afford that Logitech Pro wheel :D so i bought a Speedster Pure 2.... its very good, and its only £25. For the logitech wheel you probably pay £20 for the letters L.O.G.I.T.E.C.H and another £10 that it sais "specially designed for GT4"... rip off in my opinion :)

Putting in 900 mode will do the trick. When I first got the wheel I wasm't sure I liked the 900 mode but a few days back I changed it to 200 and I was all over the place like you say. But now after practice I love the 900 degree mode. Sometimes in "J" type turns it a bit of a handfull. But work on using 900 degree.

Happy Easter!

Back