Logitech G27 on PC

• Thread starter Rubencho
  • 14 comments
Bolivia
Bolivia
Benchocles
Hi there, I really need some help from you guys, I was first thinking on buying the Thrustmaster T300 for playing Project Cars on Pc so if I decided to buy the PS4 I could play there two, yesterday I was making some calculations and importing it to my current country would cost like $us 650+, whereas the LogitechG27 would draw me back around $ 410 (damn my country taxes sucks)

So I guess I would not be buying the PS4 since I only bought the PS3 for GT6, I think it would happen the same with the PS4 and GT7... too much money for a single game.

Anyway, please let me know if any of you used the G27 on PC and what are your thoughts, all feedback is welcome.

Thanks!.

Well, its a good, very solid wheel. Not the most refined compared to the latest tech, but its gets the job done well. Materials and engineering are of great quality, too. Got mine since January 2013 and its still like new and never had any kind of fault.

Well, its a good, very solid wheel. Not the most refined compared to the latest tech, but its gets the job done well. Materials and engineering are of great quality, too. Got mine since January 2013 and its still like new and never had any kind of fault.

Thanks mate, what are your thoughts about the P.Cars? also what other racing games you used the G27 on Pc?

I've got a G27, had it since March 2012. It's a great wheel, my only real complaints are that some of the buttons aren't quite tactile enough and the layout is a bit awkward (the ones on the wheel sometimes feel like you've pressed them but they don't respond correctly, it's hard to find a particular button on the shifter sometimes without feeling around for it first, that sort of thing), the pedals are loud which completely negates the point of having a relatively quiet helical gear feedback system, the wheel itself is quite quiet but gets louder when you're being, er, vigorous with it... But on the whole, it's a very good wheel if you can overlook those problems.

As for Project CARS, it's pretty great right now but needs some work, fortunately they're updating it weekly and work is progressing nicely, unlike some other pre-release games (like Next Car Game - sorry - Wreckfest), so I think it'll be a very compelling purchase when it releases. I'll admit I haven't played it for some time but even a few months ago it was insanely good fun just doing time attacks in the Group 5 Zakspeed Capri. Not the best sim ever but it's not meant to be, it's straddling the line between the higher-end console sims (GT and Forza) and the medium-high end PC sims like rFactor. It works perfectly with the G27, shifter and clutch included.

Other racing games/sims I've used my G27 with include (all on PC except GT5 and GT6, by the way):
- NFS Shift
- Shift 2
- Grid
- Dirt
- Dirt 2
- Dirt 3
- GT5
- GT6
- GTR 2
- GT Legends
- Race 07
- rFactor
- rFactor 2 (demo)
- Game Stock Car (demo)
- RaceRoom: Racing Experience
- Euro Truck Simulator 2
- WRC 3
- WRC 4
- Richard Burns Rally
- Grand Prix Legends
- Colin McRae Rally 2004
- Colin McRae Rally 2005
- Next Car Game aka Wreckfest
- Assetto Corsa
- Live For Speed

All of these work great (though quality does vary greatly!) with a wheel, well enough for me to recommend a wheel over a controller. That can't be said for all games, though; Test Drive Unlimited 2, The Crew (beta) and F1 2011 (and apparently subsequent releases) seem pseudo-simmy with their explicit wheel support - TDU2 and The Crew even support H-shifters and clutches - but they're crap with a wheel and definitely handle better with a controller.

Then you get into your genuine arcade* experiences like Burnout Paradise, FlatOut, Ridge Racer: Unbounded... Don't even bother! I even tried Driver: San Francisco with my wheel once, that was an exercise in absolute futility. GTA IV worked ok, though, as long as you have a controller on hand for when you get out of the car. I wonder what GTA V will be like?

*I hate that a lot of people - sim snobs, mainly, often rFactor or iRacing players - describe anything that isn't a proper 'sim' as being 'arcade' or 'simcade' as if it's a derogatory term. I often hear NFS: Shift being described as 'arcade' but it clearly isn't an arcade game, it's a casual racing game. Really minor #firstworldproblem rant but I figured I'd qualify my use of the phrase 'genuine arcade'.

Thanks mate, what are your thoughts about the P.Cars? also what other racing games you used the G27 on Pc?

pcars is nice with the G27, they recently started finalizing the FFB and it supposedly helped a lot. Will actually try that out later.To add to Neemas comment about the game itself: I think it will be the perfect sim for the masses. Once you are on the track, it feels as good or better as AC, iracing, rF2 etc, it will be more accessible off track for the non-nerds, though.

Other games I used the G27 for: Assetto Corsa, iRacing, Raceroom Racing Experience, Net Kar Pro, Wreckfest, rFactor 2 demo. Except for RRRE, whose FFB was downright wonky and weird, they all felt pretty good on the G27. Of course, a high end Fanatec wheel is in another league, but

Thanks for your replies, now I'll buy a G27. living in a 3rdworld country has some advantages as rather cheap food but importing a T300RS will cost me more than what I earn in a month and it just doesn't feel right... I don't have much time to spare so G27 it is. :)

I would definitely recommend chosing the G27 in your situation. Thrustmaster failure rates are much higher than the basically bulletproof G27. Imagine something goes wrong on your T300 after a year or two, you will spend a fortune in shipping and have to wait for ages to get it repaired and sent back to you.

Besides, the G27 has much better pedals than the T300 and a clutch.

I have a Logitech G25, and I echo the recommendation of a G27 if the PS4 compatibility woes are not a factor. 👍

G27 is the best bang for the buck around. You get full size paddles, a decent 6 + reverse shifter and decent pedals that can be upgraded for around $CDN30 with the GTEYE. All that for less than half the next decent set of equipment is with the same features. You can also get a dongle to adapt your G27 pedals to the Thrustmaster wheels, making the upgrade to the next level even cheaper.

I think it will be the perfect sim for the masses.

Yeah, I definitely agree with that. It's a multi-platform game that feels better than either of the bigger console exclusives and looks stunning, I'm sure it'll be a big hit. I do still think it'll struggle to persuade any of the more die-hard PC simmers, though, but for everyone under that level (and that's a lot of people) it's probably one of the best options around. The only area in which it falls down vs. Forza and GT is the content, but the physics, graphics and sound are far superior and the car selection is still nicely varied, even if it's not quite "50's Japanese cars all the way up to hypothetical laser-powered megacars" varied.

I have a Logitech G25, and I echo the recommendation of a G27 if the PS4 compatibility woes are not a factor. 👍

I have a G25 too, great wheel, & you get the added bonus of a sequential gear shifter. Get one cheap on ebay, there's always a steady flow of them on there.

👍

VBR
I have a G25 too, great wheel, & you get the added bonus of a sequential gear shifter. Get one cheap on ebay, there's always a steady flow of them on there.

👍
i agree you should also look for an used G25/G27 without fearing failures, my G25 i still working as the first day (apart a button that sometimes doesn't work) after 6+ years i have it, they're really sturdy and reliable

A bit redundant in this thread by now, but I've had my G25 since they were launched. It works nicely in all games, although of course not as refined as the latest wheels as FLX says. Mine works just like when it was new and it looks like it will last forever. Other Gxx owners I know have the same experience.

Latest Posts

Back