Logitech racing wheel not turning. Is there a fix?

• Thread starter Joolz99
  • 2 comments
Canada
Canada
Hi everyone. Please look at this video of the racing wheel's issue:
Logitech Driving Force GT racing wheel, for PC.

As seen in the video there's no steering, while all the buttons and pedals work. Anyone know how to fix this? PS confirmed working, giving out 23.4V and 24V for the 2nd unit (from a Microsoft Wireless racing wheel for xbox 360). Upon connecting the USB cable to any computer (PC or Mac) it will twitch 3x then centre button light begins to flash faster. Tested on a couple of games and pedals work but there's no steering from this wheel. Anyone knows a fix?

PS: hope this first thread doesn't mysteriously disappear as it was the case with another racing sim forum. Cheers.

Your wheel is trying to calibrate itself, but it's failing. Chances are the optical encoder wheel is loose or cracked, which is a common issue in these wheels. There are replacements available online, but you can attempt to fix a broken encoder wheel yourself first with just a dab of glue and correctly sized washer.

This video explains how to get to the encoder unit (it's the thing being pointed at at 1:05). You still need to disassemble the encoder unit itself to get to the encoder wheel -- be very careful not to bend anything while you do.

In case the encoder wheel is cracked, this thread explains how to fix it with a washer: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...-logitech-wheel-optical-encoder-issue.301365/ Sadly I don't know the exact dimensions of the washer you need, so you'll need a bit of trial and error there. Be careful not to get any glue or dirt into the slots of the encoder wheel.

In case the glue fix fails, you can find plenty of alternative replacements on eBay. There are two variations: ones with 30 slots and ones with 60 slots. You need to get one that matches the one currently in your wheel. You can also try an encoder wheel from a computer mouse if you can find one.

Hope this helps.

Yes, it helps immensely. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I should be able to fix this, now that I know what to do. The thread here in this forum that you listed above has tons of great info too. Will update this once I get the chance to take it apart. Thanks!

Back