Long-time console sim racer converts to PC

• Thread starter tekmoe
  • 12 comments
tekmoe
Howdy y’all 🤠 I wanted to take a few minutes to share my most recent PC sim racing experience. Like many of you, I’ve been playing racing games forever - arcade or sim, doesn’t matter - I just love racing and cars in general! For the most part though, I have only ever played on consoles and rarely on PC. A lot of my time has been invested into the Gran Turismo series over the years and I have always used the typical Logitech and Thrustmaster wheels attached to a table with an office chair.
nZG5ChG.jpg

GT7 changed that for me though and I decided to build a dedicated rig. Went with an 80/20 / Fanatec stuff setup and have been thoroughly enjoying it over the past several months.
ztVCXGp.jpg

Recently though I made the mistake of binge watching Barry Rowland's Sim Racing Garage channel on YouTube and made an impulse decision to buy a new set of pedals.
WkLKly4.jpg

One small problem though - the new pedals I bought don’t work with consoles without using extra bits of gear that I didn’t feel like messing with. Rather than do what most people would do and return the pedals, I started researching PC sim racing and this is where the adventure begins. I bought a pretty nice gaming laptop a few years back with a not-so-ancient RTX 2070 graphics chip and decided to give it a try. I started with Assetto Corsa from Steam.
JfVPkCQ.jpg

Right out of the gate, I was not impressed. The graphics were definitely not as good as GT7 and the frame rate seemed choppy especially in the turns, to the point that it felt unplayable. I also had trouble getting the FFB to work properly and needed a firmware update with the Fanatec wheelbase to resolve that problem. What did I get myself into? I spent several hours researching and playing with settings and once I got everything situated, my opinion quickly changed - I haven’t touched GT7 since. During the Black Friday deals, I also purchased Assetto Corsa Competizione and Automobilista 2 to help keep it interesting. Up until yesterday though, I was still struggling with a little bit of choppiness in the turns in all 3 games so I started researching FPS and refresh rates. I had my laptop hooked up to the same display as my PS5, a 65” OLED TV, but was only capable of outputting 4k @ 60Hz. My laptop however, based on the stats within AC, was showing over 100 FPS. I purchased a 34” ultra wide monitor last year that I use for work and decided to hook it up to the laptop using an HDMI cable. I set the display to 3440x1440 @ 100Hz and gave the games another go. Holy 🐮 what a difference - no more choppiness in the turns and everything just seems much smoother! Wondering if there is any more juice to be squeezed out, I checked my monitor specs and realized it’s capable of 144Hz but I could only set it to 100Hz if using HDMI - to get the full 144Hz requires a USB-C to DisplayPort cable.
cqYXfH6m.png

Bought that and am now running at the full 144Hz and I can’t tell you enough how much more fun this is compared to GT7. No idea if I’m actually faster but it sure feels like it 🏎️ Driving just feels so much smoother and I am able to hit the apexes far easier compared to before.
ADcGSb7.jpg

Seriously though, the PC sim racing experience has really shed a new light on how fun this hobby is. Just last week I received my Simucube 2 Pro base…
3soPwRY.jpg

…in anticipation of receiving my limited edition GSI x Simucube Formula Elite Pro wheel.
tlvk8xk.png

Justifying these recent purchases was not difficult. From time-to-time I lose interest as I devote my time to my other hobbies but I always get sucked back in to this one. In this case, I am very thankful I decided to pursue the PC route because it has really rekindled this old flame I call sim racing 😍

That is one nice looking set up 👌

The messing about and research it takes to get PC gaming to run at its best puts me off making the jump but also the cost.

If I had the spare cash and spare time I would definately consider making the jump.

Enjoy 😝

Nice thread. I made the jump to gaming laptop summer of 2020. Except until just recently was using only cheap thrustermast wheel and pedals.
Purchased monza 5 direct drive wheel and pedals two weeks ago and so much better. The wheel and pedals are super silent, barely even tell it is on. Makes project cars 2 feel like a new game and great for AMS2.

I would recommend that for those that can afford to make the switch to do so. There is a learning process in perhaps new sim games and getting you devices configured, but we'll worth it.

I did get GT7 even after telling myself that would not. I have cleared the regular menu books, however barely touch the game. Compared to AMS2 driving in GT7 basically sucks to say the least.

@tekmo just noticed the hot wheels cars in blister packs spread across table in your first photo. Anything special about those?

I had a small collection as a kid and younger adult. Stopped collecting due to realizing that would take-up to much space and that there was to many varieties. I suppose if the average person was to collect them they would need to focus only on certain ones. Sold off all of mine long time ago.

@tekmo just noticed the hot wheels cars in blister packs spread across table in your first photo. Anything special about those?

I had a small collection as a kid and younger adult. Stopped collecting due to realizing that would take-up to much space and that there was to many varieties. I suppose if the average person was to collect them they would need to focus only on certain ones. Sold off all of mine long time ago.
Nothing special about those in particular but I do have many that are deemed very hard to find. I go thru phases where I collect a lot but the last couple of years have been slow.

nR9Kbw6.jpg

My last big find was the 1971 Lamborghini Miura SV Super Treasure Hunt at Target 😍
bs75cfR.jpg

Update - I’ve made a couple more changes recently including adding a Samsung G9 monitor with a dedicated stand -

cbdLRMO.jpg

Then I swapped my gaming laptop with a gaming pc. Specs include a 13900K i9 proc, RTX 4080 graphics card, and 32GB DDR5 memory - it’s a real screamer and blows my old laptop out of the water 🤯

qtjRpbT.jpg

I also picked up an Oculus Quest 2 to give VR racing a try - still playing with the settings but so far it’s been a great alternative to the ultra wide screen 👍

Update - I’ve made a couple more changes recently including adding a Samsung G9 monitor with a dedicated stand -

cbdLRMO.jpg

Then I swapped my gaming laptop with a gaming pc. Specs include a 13900K i9 proc, RTX 4080 graphics card, and 32GB DDR5 memory - it’s a real screamer and blows my old laptop out of the water 🤯

qtjRpbT.jpg

I also picked up an Oculus Quest 2 to give VR racing a try - still playing with the settings but so far it’s been a great alternative to the ultra wide screen 👍
Very nice. I have a 4090/i9-13900 build coming in next week.

Been awhile since I’ve updated this thread but wanted to say I’ve added a Sigma DK6 motion system and a triple monitor setup to my rig. The immersion is on a different level 🤘

j7rJvdv.jpg

okbM2BH.jpg

One small problem though - the new pedals I bought don’t work with consoles without using extra bits of gear that I didn’t feel like messing with.
It's OK, you're among friends here - having been there myself I know "I could've easily worked around this but was looking for any excuse to build a PC" when I see it! My excuse was that GT5's clutch and H-shifter logic was terrible and if you tried to shift before the clutch was fully engaged it would just dump you into neutral, so you had to take it slow... Which is dumb because you could just use the paddles instead and shift way quicker than you could with the stick so it's hard to argue that they did it for realism. Anyway, I could've used my electronic engineering skills to make the clutch digital so it was fully engaged with the slightest touch, but no, I built a PC instead.

Edit: totally spaced on the fact the OP is old, oops.

Last edited:
I’ve been having a burning desire to get back into GT7 so I built a 2nd rig dedicated for it. It’s a Sim-Lab GT1 Evo 2 rig with the Logitech G Pro wheel and pedals. Very happy with this setup 😍

r46tMgc.jpg

Last edited:
Back