Long time GT player, about to jump ship...maybe

France
Paris
I've been playing Gran Turismo since GT1 and i've bought every new version on every new Sony console.
Like the rest of us, i've waited and waited for a PS4 iteration. In traditional PD style, the wait has been long, and in the meantime the alternatives have grown strong and extremely tempting. I even bought Drive Club recently and was really pleasantly surprised by the visual quality of the game, easily some of the nicest tracks i've ever driven on, although the car handling / physics is far removed from any kind of sim. I bought PCars 1 but it never really sunk it's claws into me. I'm stuck with a GT Force Feedback steering wheel that the PS4, facepalmingly, doesn't support, so it's Dual Shock control for me, which on PCars 1 is a joke.
So now we have have GT Sport. I've been playing the demo a lot, it's lovely. The 30 lap race i came 2nd in last night was very enjoyable, even with the dual shock.
But as i look at the official track listing, it's such a turn off. There is no daytime transitions too which some of the competitors seem to have managed. The car list too, virtually nothing pre 2010. That's a big one for me, and it focuses the handling way too much on the modern side for my liking, same goes for the visual side of the things too. Kaz has said more stuff will be added in future DLC, but i fear this will also be geared towards modern racing, what with the FIA hookup.
As there is no PD talk of GT7, no mention of classic tracks, classic cars, it makes me feel less and less that i want to stick around for GT Sport and change over to PCars 2, which looks to have an amazing amount of real world tracks, cars spanning decades, full weather, time day AND time of year, very deep running and physics....i'm genuinely on the fence. I see a lot of people scratching heads in these forums too.
Sure i could buy both but i think this is deeper than that, and PD may have steered GT into the rocks. Time will tell i suppose, but for me the light on the GT horizon is fading quite rapidly (unlike in the game itself).

I don't think its healthy or very helpful to religiously follow a single series through a genre of games. You should, if you enjoy racing games like GT, try them all as they all have their own little qwerks and unique features, GT included.

For me the core GT games have always been in an odd place, thousands of cars is cool, but how the hell to you actually do that properly? Well the answer was, you can't, not really... which is what happened with GT5 and then GT6. Concessions were made to accommodate so many cars and so many tracks.

If you look at the levelling progression through those games it doesn't really make any sense and doesn't relate to anything in the real world and so they would just change it for further abstractions.

I think that GT Sport is the right direction to go in, especially if the PCars roster of cars and tracks is something that appeals. It's going after the racing aspect of the franchise, and why Sport doesn't boast all the tracks one might have hoped for, it does have the best console-side rating systems for online play, which will make open lobbies with randoms actually fun (and this has mostly been true of the beta and demo).

They can add the tracks we all want over time, but you can't change a games direction and philosophy so quickly, so I think they have actually started on the right path. If you don't jump on with GTS, that's fine, but don't let that door close completely, as it very well grow into something you do want.

I think its way to early to compare GT Sport to other racing games, yes the car/track roster pales in comparison to other titles (PC2) but I think other games that go for too much variety can lose there way.

I have PC2 and to be honest some of the tracks with the weather effects look unbelievable bad (PS4 Pro user here) that they verge on the side of unplayable.. and don't get me started on some of the game breaking bugs that still exist from PC1.

I would rather they focus on getting the core experience right from the start and then grow the content over time - which seems to have been hinted at several times that this will happen in GT Sport.

At the end of the day - you are not forced to play GT Sport, enjoy other racing games.. for its issues when PC2 works its a damn good fun game.

Don't limit yourself to one game... every game has its pros/cons.

Will PD add, let's say, 20 tracks over X amount of years for GTS? 10 tracks for DLC? GTS has to be seen as is. It's a looker. Can you have fun regardless of content count. Compared to GT1, this game is just about on par for cars and tracks.
Are you an offline or online player? That's pretty much going to determine many people's choices on buying/playing this game.

I'm stuck with a GT Force Feedback steering wheel that the PS4, facepalmingly, doesn't support.

Don't let that stop you from enjoying GT Sport with your present wheel - you have options like Drivehub or GIMX.

I am playing GT Sport on my Fanatec CSR and Logitech DFGT - both PS3 wheels and supposedly not compatible with the PS4.

Don't let that stop you from enjoying GT Sport with your present wheel - you have options like Drivehub or GIMX.

I am playing GT Sport on my Fanatec CSR and Logitech DFGT - both PS3 wheels and supposedly not compatible with the PS4.

What are you using to make the CSR compatible, and how is it working FFB, etc?
I have my CSR in the closet I would like to use.

To the OP,
I don't think GT as far as physics or gameplay will ever change much. It's great in some areas, terrible in others to me.
I wouldn't jump ship, just expand your library.
PC2 and AC again to me, are better racers in GT Sports current state.
That doesn't mean I won't buy it or enjoy it.
I love the new GT leveling and reward system, it's very addictive.

Expand your horizons. Lots of alternatives out there that offer a different perspective on this sport. I can understand the frustration a lot of old school GT fans feel when they see their beloved and reliable franchise go in a different direction but it is what it is as they say. No better time to explore your options, there are so many good games out there that do so many things better (and some worse of course).

As others have said, why stick to one race series? All you are doing is forcing limits on yourself. I too purchased Project Cars, hated it. Pad user, found it unplayable. For that reason I'm avoiding it's sequel, and for all of it's welcome limitations and minor annoyances, I'm loving GTS. If the game isn't for you then fair enough, pick the one that has the cars and tracks you want. I can see myself getting an XB1X just to play FM7 because I've had a go on that now and it offers a different, decent experience with a lot of content to fill the gaps.

XXI
What are you using to make the CSR compatible, and how is it working FFB, etc?
I have my CSR in the closet I would like to use.

To the OP,
I don't think GT as far as physics or gameplay will ever change much. It's great in some areas, terrible in others to me.
I wouldn't jump ship, just expand your library.
PC2 and AC again to me, are better racers in GT Sports current state.
That doesn't mean I won't buy it or enjoy it.
I love the new GT leveling and reward system, it's very addictive.

I'm using gimx software from https://gimx.fr/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page
There's a thread on this forum https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...ogitech-driving-force-gt-g27-with-ffb.336625/

Gimx actually emulates a Logitech G29 on a ps4 and allows you to use another wheel for this.

You will need a pc or raspberry pi running the gimx software and some bits of hardware - these are the parts I used https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...e-gt-g27-with-ffb.336625/page-3#post-11110549. Costs about A$20 or you can buy the adapter from someone on the gimx blog https://blog.gimx.fr/

All the bits have to be near your ps4 because one of them needs to be plugged into the ps4 usb to work.

Original versions use to work only on Logitech wheels but now they can work on Fanatec wheels and are reported to work on direct drive wheels as well.

I have tested them on the following wheels and get the full ffb with no lag - Logitech DFGT, G27, Fanatec GT2 and CSR. I have the CSR Elite pedals and they work just great on all the PS4 games I have - Assetto Corsa, Project Cars 1, Drive Club, WRC 6 and now GT Sport.

So if you have a CSR wheel in your back closet, don't waste it, it still works on current gen - mine still does.

To the OP,
I have been a GT Fan since the psx (old ps one version) days.
Along the way, I acquired an xbox 360 and got the Forza 3 and 4 games - that was good but not GT.
After waiting a long while on the PS4 for GT, I upgraded my PC to run Forza and Assetto Corsa and put it next to the PS4.
Just recently, I got an Xbox One with FH3 and joined Xbox Gold to get Forza 5 for free.
Summary: You don't have to get stuck on one Brand or Genre - there are so many options out there. It doesn't have to be expensive either - I'm still using my 5 year old wheels.

Edit: spelling

Last edited:
I'm using gimx software from https://gimx.fr/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page
There's a thread on this forum https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...ogitech-driving-force-gt-g27-with-ffb.336625/

Gimx actually emulates a Logitech G29 on a ps4 and allows you to use another wheel for this.

You will need a pc or raspberry pi running the gimx software and some bits of hardware - these are the parts I used https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...e-gt-g27-with-ffb.336625/page-3#post-11110549. Costs about A$20 or you can buy the adapter from someone on the gimx blog https://blog.gimx.fr/

All the bits have to be near your ps4 because one of them needs to be plugged into the ps4 usb to work.

Original versions use to work only on Logitech wheels but now they can work on Fanatec wheels and are reported to work on direct drive wheels as well.

I have tested them on the following wheels and get the full ffb with no lag - Logitech DFGT, G27, Fanatec GT2 and CSR. I have the CSR Elite pedals and they work just great on all the PS4 games I have - Assetto Corsa, Project Cars 1, Drive Club, WRC 6 and now GT Sport.

So if you have a CSR wheel in your back closet, don't waste it, it still works on current gen - mine still does.

To the OP,
I have been a GT Fan since the psx (old ps one version) days.
Along the way, I acquired an xbox 360 and got the Forza 3 and 4 games - that was good but not GT.
After waiting a long while on the PS4 for GT, I upgraded my PC to run Forza and Assetto Corsa and put it next to the PS4.
Just recently, I got an Xbox One with FH3 and joined Xbox Gold to get Forza 5 for free.
Summary: You don't have to get stuck on one Brand or Genre - there are so many options out there. It doesn't have to be expensive either - I'm still using my 5 year old wheels.

Edit: spelling

Fantastic information, thank you.

TIMEOUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had all but given up on GT Sport BECAUSE OF my Fanatec CSR not working with it (works just fine on my PC, updated drivers and all). And you're saying the Fanatec CSR is working??? I'm going to try RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

^^^^^ And while you’re at it, take the OP for a spin in the Cobra around the Nürburgring with the prerequisite that time will stand still. :P

LOL

If u like racing games that why should you stick to 1 title :confused:

I have played:

-GT Sport
-F1 2017
-Assetto Corsa
-iRacing
-Automobilista
-Project cars 1
-rfactor 2
-Raceroom3

And many more older titles. Some are PC only though, but your wheel should work there so maybe its a option.

They all have there strong and weak points. No point to limit yourself to just one franchise.

TIMEOUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had all but given up on GT Sport BECAUSE OF my Fanatec CSR not working with it (works just fine on my PC, updated drivers and all). And you're saying the Fanatec CSR is working??? I'm going to try RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My 2 cents - if you have your pc next to your console, gimx is probably the most economical solution (my parts cost about A$20). If you want convenience and flexibility, the Drivehub is probably the best solution but costs more. One big advantage for me was that I could use the Drivehub on my PS4 and Xbox One. I have both but now use the Drivehub more and leave the PC switched off (unless I'm gaming on the pc).

I play pcars 2 I think it's a great game. I also play GT sport mostly the dailys. I think GT Sports online racing is the best of all of them other than iracing even though it has some problems. Now that the physics are improved I am happier. Lately I have been playing GT online and pcars 2 quick custom races and the community events. No need to just play one when there are such good games around. I think we are spoilt really.

My 2 cents - if you have your pc next to your console, gimx is probably the most economical solution (my parts cost about A$20). If you want convenience and flexibility, the Drivehub is probably the best solution but costs more. One big advantage for me was that I could use the Drivehub on my PS4 and Xbox One. I have both but now use the Drivehub more and leave the PC switched off (unless I'm gaming on the pc).

Thanks for the update. I'll look into the Drivehub (my PC and PS4 are on two different floors).

As someone who owns both games, I find GT Sport to be more polished, significantly easier to play with a dual shock, and I have more confidence in PD to continue to support its game. PC2 is a hot mess at times with all the bugs. Don’t get me wrong, its a lovely game, more of a sim than GT so, again, very frustrating with a controller.

GTS is an experiment. If they continue to pump content for it like it was done for Driveclub, we could get a beefy game in total. Now im not defending the lack of content comared to previous GTs but as long as its FREE im totally fine with getting new stuff every 2 months and acing and learning to the T every track. If you give me 40 tracks day one i feel like i couldnt commit to all and just learn a few.

Just last night i watched on YT a retrospective on the whole series and to be honest, i dont miss the cluttered menues, the used car shops and definately not the waste of time cars in space or horse carriege. GTS is straight to the point which feels great BUT for me its not complete unless they add all the classic cars and old and new tracks. I get the SPORT focus but man just do your online thing but give us cars that were on every boys wall poster too.

And I think they will because atm the sport races take too long to get into, i mean waiting 20 minutes for next race but i cant exit the window and do something else is really annoying and i end up playing lobby races way more. Its just not working seamlessly.

You can use the Brock Super Convertor to use your DFGT too... will also allow you to use a DS3 controller on your PS4 and PC.

Probably not as accurate in terms of FFB than DriveHub or GIMX, but it's cheaper and does the job of being wheel.

Back