Look everyone......it's a newbie!!

  • Thread starter Thread starter mafia_boy
  • 29 comments
  • 1,862 views

mafia_boy

(Banned)
Messages
5,570
Messages
GTP_Mafiaboy
Hi everyone at GTP and how are ya's?? I've been a long time viewer and decided to join up because the drag racing that most of you compete in is too irresistable to leave alone!! I have been privately practicing and comparing my times against all of yours in the various competitions (WDS, $30k challenge, fastest 1/4 overall) to see if I was competitive with atleast 1/2 of ya's before I talked on here. :)

I own all 4 Gran Turismo's (didn't get Concept or Prologue because I found them pointless when I wanted the full array of cars not the licence tests!!) and became hooked with the PSX/PS2 because of the GT series. I got to 94% on GT1 and 98.5% on GT2 before my memory card ****ed up on the PSX, got to 55% with GT3 before I got bored with it (blasphemy I know, but GT3 compared to GT2 wasn't the best in car variety. ;)), and now with GT4, I'm at 61.9% on day 674 with over 24000 A-spec points (B-spec bites ass to me!!), 43 Golds/37 Silvers (bronze isn't allowed on my game!! ;)), 156 cars, 33/34 driving missions done but I haven't touched the Extreme or Endurance events yet.

My best car is my Spec-C Rexy (as many of you probably do too), but I have a soft spot on the 1/4 mile for FF's and pre-1987 cars (I'm always hunting around in the 80's car yard for another POS to do up!! :lol: ), so my 10.455 second Ginetta G4 is always fun on the strip (but not much fun around Nurburgring in the 1000 mile race!! :sick: ), but my 12.106 from my Civic Type R and load of 12.2 sec FF's aren't enough to compete with the big boys of the 1/4 mile thread so I'm still a bit of a :dunce: when it comes to tuning the FF's for traction off the line.

Well, that's basically it from me so once again I say hello all.......I'll go hide in some newbie corner now so I don't piss off the senior members straightaway. :p:p

Mafs!!
 
Welcome to GTP!

IMO I find the Ginetta G4 very good and fun around the Nurburgring. 👍
 
Don't go hiding, we won't get familiar with you if you do that. Welcome! :cheers:
 
Welcome to GTP! 👍
 
Wey Hey!!!! A Newbie! :D :) ........Welcome to GTPlanet :) mafia boy 👍
 
I think every newbie should start their own thread 💡
 
Aaaaargh! Help! Newbie!

newbies.jpg


n some contexts, such as on Usenet and in multiplayer video games, being a newbie is discouraged. Newbies may ask questions that seem extremely simple to experienced users, or disrupt normal order with their lack of skills or etiquette in a certain type of technology. For example, video game players may dislike newbies because they think newbies will hurt or bring down the collective efforts of a team game. Usenet posters may dislike newbies for bringing up off-topic discussion or violating netiquette.

In some groups, the term "newbie" is used by experienced users to refer to any newcomer, whether the newcomer acts ignorantly or not. In this case, the regulars assert their position with a sort of hazing (sometimes called pwning in video games).

Referring to regular members as newbies is often considered to be highly insulting. The implication is that they are behaving as if they do not know the rules when in fact they have had more than sufficient opportunity to learn them.

In some MMORPGs a newbie is anyone who is lower-leveled than the person making the remark, regardless of actual time spent playing the game. (for example, a level 60 player in World of Warcraft may consider a level 30 player a newbie). Some forums and MMORPGs have banned some of the more common spelling variations ("newb," "noob", "n00b") in an attempt to reduce flame wars. This has, of course, led to more variations.

Also, some people consider the term "newb" to refer to someone who is new to something, and is therefore not very good at it, while a "noob" is someone who knows the right thing to do, but acts stupidly anyway.

People who discourage newbies may differentiate between the words newbie and n00b. Using these terms, a "newbie" is someone who follows all protocols and essentially acts like an established user but still in the process of learning, while a "n00b" is an obnoxious person who has not even considered that they might be irritating others.

It is often a personal choice within a community whether to discourage or encourage newbies. For example, some GNU/Linux users may discourage non-technical users who try to install GNU/Linux, because supporting these users will be difficult and the newbies may be dissatified in the long run. On the other hand, some GNU/Linux users may prefer to encourage newbies, because it grows their userbase and may help the newbies learn more about computing.

Sometimes, newbies are recognized as the most important members and received with extra attention. Some chat rooms, for example, have established rules to ask "oldies" to first answer the newbies' questions or concerns before resuming their ongoing discussions. Large Internet forums such as 2channel and Gaia Online have special boards for newbies to learn the basics of chatting on that forum.

Other communities do not treat newbies with a significantly elevated status, but do greet most of the friendly newbies with welcomes informing them the methods to get help. In these situations, the term is basically synonymous with newcomer and is meant with or without affection. For example, Wikipedia has a firm policy of welcoming all new contributors whether or not their first edits are helpful to an encyclopedia. This way, users who make mistakes will be encouraged to learn the rules and keep contributing, rather than provoking censure or anger.

The positive interpretation is probably the more recent but has become quite common. The only way to determine the intended connotation is to examine the context.

Individuals may refer to themselves as newbies in a self-deprecating manner or in acknowledgment of their newcomer status, which may (or may not) lessen the amount of harassment they receive. This may have negative or a positive connotations, depending on the standards of the community.

A noob, n00b, nub, naab, noobo or übern00b is a person who claims to know a lot about a subject, but really does not. Also, generally n00bs have a sort of false belief in their own knowledge, and often refuse to acknowledge a differing point of view, especially if it points out fallacies in their claims. They often show off their false skills to gain a reputation. The term is usually meant to be offensive. It was first used in hacker groups on the BBS chat systems in the 1970s. It is important to note that noob and newb are not necessarily interchangeable.

The spelling noob or n00b, while originally having a specific meaning, is now generally used to refer to all forms of newbies, usually in a joking manner. In a context where newbie means simply new, n00b may sometimes be used as the derogatory equivalent. Most of the time, though, it is generally consigned that 'n00b' be used to describe only those with false claims of knowledge about a particular subject, and vehemently argues against any opposing viewpoints.

In online gaming, the term is also often used as a general insult. Frustrated players on the losing team may refer to the winning team as noobs. In this case, there is no actual connotation of newness meant, the word is simply being used as an insult. Equally, members of a dominating team use the term "noobs" (n00bs) to further frustrate their opposition by implying a general lack of skill on the losing team's part.

An underground joke is "Noob talk" or "NOB TALK". Noob talk is when an individual uses harsh spelling errors and terrible punctuation to insult noobs. A lot of "real" noob talk is found on games such as Gunbound or Ragnarok Online or RuneScape. An example of this dialect is "ITAM PLEX" (translated into "Items Please"). Noob talk is fairly simple to grasp: one makes numerous spelling mistakes and overuses common Internet abbreviations. It is easy to discern when somebody is jocularly using noob talk if they do things such as add words like BBQ after LOL and add 1111zzz after an exclamation mark. Newblicon, nooblicon, and newbsicle are also variations.

An example would be: omfgwtfbbq noob!

Or a more extended example: ! r0Xx0rz l!k3 4 1337 h4xX0r5 n00b ch33k 0u7 /\/\y VV3b 5!t3 l1k3 n0VV 1337133713371337 n00b!! i ! 4M JW 4k4 H0b4r7 t3h 1337 haxX0rz u n00b
(Translation: I rock like a leet haxor , noob. Check out my web site like now, leetleetleetleet noob. I am JW a.k.a. Hobart the leet haxor, you noob. See Leet.)

This is also "fr00b" meaning cheater or fake.


The verb "noob" usually means "to own (pwn in some cases) someone like a noob." Noob is not necessarily a derogatory verb, but can be depending on the context. For instance: if person A beats person B to the point where person B looked like a newbie in comparison, person A noobed person B. Anywhere person A could say they owned or beat person B like person B was a noob or newbie, person A noobed person B.

It is also possible to hear the verb used in the opposite context. If person A is new to the game or does not play well and beats person B on a lucky chance, then person B may say that they "got noobed", especially if he or she is an excellent player. Noob as a derogatory verb is therefore not hard to grasp, as it is merely an extension of its noun and adjective counterparts.

"Noobing" is also seen as a verb by "using your 'uber l33t' skills to 'pwn' unsuspecting noobs." This is common in online games, such as Starcraft or Warcraft or Tibia.

And finally, the verb "noob" is sometimes seen as "Noobing it up" (or more commonly, "Newbin' it up"), which means to be or act like a noob. If person A is getting pwned by person B, one could say person A is newbin' it up.




And Welcome!
 
mafia_boy
I'll go hide in some newbie corner now so I don't piss off the senior members straightaway

@ Mafs, no reason to hide :) . We welcome good posts.
Welcome to GTP!

AMG
 
Thanks for the welcome guys. I have to laugh at ultrabeat though, that was some thorough discussion on newbieism, I'm just searching for your Bachelor of netiquette degree now!! :lol:

Mafs!!
 
mafia_boy
Thanks for the welcome guys. I have to laugh at ultrabeat though, that was some thorough discussion on newbieism, I'm just searching for your Bachelor of netiquette degree now!! :lol:

Mafs!!

It must be good but...i dont have enough patience in me to read all that :)

and WELCOME TO GTP MAFS!!!!
 
PERFECT BALANCE
Where have you been all this time? :)

At my other forum home. :cool: Several of the Australian members on here may be familiar with this site and that's Fast Fours Forums. http://forums.fastfours.com.au Quite a few people on there are GT4 (and Forza) fanatics and we even had our own 1/4 mile and GT challenge competitions on there for a few months when GT4 was released.

Apart from that, I just do the same as most of you....eat, drink, ****, sleep, screw!! :D


Mafs!!
 
Alsong with everyone else welcome to GTP, since you've been watching you're no doubt aware that you can get good help of many of the users here.
 
mafia_boy: make sure you find Famine on here and read stuff he has to say (you can't miss him - all his posts are purple :D): very entertaining and very renowned. World Famous on GTP! :dopey:
 
Welcome to GTP!

Remember to have fun. and ,as said before, if in doubt FIND FAMINE!
hes knows nearly everything!
 
Thanks guys...I'll do a search on Famine's threads (no doubt I'll be reading for the next 5hrs after doing that!! :lol: ) and see what little tenths and hundredths I can gain from his words. ;)

Mafs!!
 
blue_sharky39
mafia_boy: make sure you find Famine on here and read stuff he has to say (you can't miss him - all his posts are purple :D): very entertaining and very renowned. World Famous on GTP! :dopey:

Error! Error!

Purple...
Nope...


...Indigo!
Yeah!
 
welcome to gtp planet... i know what you mean, i have only posted like 2 posts before. =) welcom anyway
 
ultrabeat
Purple...
Nope...


...Indigo!
Yeah!

Whatever, ultrabeat :D

And you errored :P it should be Indigo 👍
 
Error! Error!

I didn't make an error. :)
 
And don't forget our other forums here.
Be sure to stop by the Rumble Strip for off-topic chats.
 
Hey, welcome!

I've been gone for a while, but I'm back at college now, so I have lots of late night time to dedicate to that perfect lap with that perfect car on that perfect set-up at that perfect track. Hehe.

Well, actually, I'm just gonna log about 5000 laps on the Nurburgring lol. It's good to have more and more new faces to contribute. If you ever need any advice on missions or liscence tests, I'm here for ya, as well as many others. However, almost everything has been covered already, so try to search before asking something that may be a somewhat FAQ. Otherwise, welcome to the party that is GT4.

PS -> Man, I love this game. I've been playing Madden a lot lately, and am very highly skilled, but I will never ever be nearly as proud of a madden player than as I am as a GT4 racer. This game is unbelievable, and I can't wait for more and more to come!
 
Back