Looking for a car once again...

Let's see... Barebones economy car vs. feature-packed midsize german luxury car?

I think the Passat wins...

Besides, like I said, performance isn't a big deal. This is a daily driver. I'm gonna be getting a second car in a few months, a first gen MR2, second gen RX7, something like that, to take to AutoX, track events, and just for fun.
 
If the car doesn't have to be brand-spankin' new. Look for a lightly used Mazda-6.
They look good, handle well, aren't bad on gas. etc.

Another car that would be great in the rare 5-spd version would be a Toyota Camry.
My '99 is an automatic, with just about everything, and we walked off the lot with it for about $10k USD. I imagine that if you can find a manual-equipped car, it would be cheaper.
 
Still, I think, for the money, the Passat is a better car than the Japanese contenders. It's on a level more like that of the Avalon.

I never responded about the Scions, by the way. While they're very nice cars, and good deals for the money, I find them a little childish, as cars go. I want a more mature, respectable, type car.
 
Takumi Fujiwara
Let's see... Barebones economy car vs. feature-packed midsize german luxury car?

I think the Passat wins...
Now that you put it that way... :lol:

The Scion tC isn't a bad car though. It's a great sports coupe by all accounts. Decent acceleration, good handling, and great price. But for a daily driver, the Passat would obliterate it, except in the field of fuel economy.
 
He wants four doors.

Avensis is the European Camry - based on appeal, not because the cars are similar. In fact, Europe actually gets the Camry. One of my favorite statistics is that it takes Europe a year to sell the same amount of Camrys that are sold in the US in one calendar week. It's true too.

Passat is a great bet; I'd equate it to Camry but you won't find a V6 manual Camry. Plus, Cams are needlessly expensive vs. Passat which offers more four-cylinder power (and V6 power until 2002) and much better handling, plus better features-per-dollar used. Passat's the buy here, unless you can find an non-Quattro A4.
 
Honestly, even if I found a Non-Quattro S4, there isn't really anything about the car that would make me take it over a same-price Passat. I actually prefer the lower-key VW marque to the higher-end Audi name. Don't want people thinking I've got too much more money than I really do....
 
You aren't finding A4s cheaper than comparable Passats? In every single instance I've seen, V6 98-01 Passats retail considerably higher than V6 98-01 A4s. Maybe that's not true in badge-crazy Southern California, but it usually is. Even Blue Book agrees with me, which is uncommon. Regardless - you're definitely looking at the right car. Don't you love the "standard" stuff on these things? Almost all of them seem to have leather, sunroof, heated seats, CD changer, automatic climate - or at least three of those, and all have side airbags plus great handling. Also the interior is very well-built and solid - no rattles and no visible cost-cutting.

I like that you like Passat over A4 despite the premium badge - it's not a common move - I just wish the A4 was more expensive to justify it!!
 
Subaru Legacy 2.0GT is a great car but it's a bit pricey according to your preferences.
 
M5Power
You aren't finding A4s cheaper than comparable Passats? In every single instance I've seen, V6 98-01 Passats retail considerably higher than V6 98-01 A4s. Maybe that's not true in badge-crazy Southern California, but it usually is. Even Blue Book agrees with me, which is uncommon. Regardless - you're definitely looking at the right car. Don't you love the "standard" stuff on these things? Almost all of them seem to have leather, sunroof, heated seats, CD changer, automatic climate - or at least three of those, and all have side airbags plus great handling. Also the interior is very well-built and solid - no rattles and no visible cost-cutting.

I like that you like Passat over A4 despite the premium badge - it's not a common move - I just wish the A4 was more expensive to justify it!!

Not so much that the prices are out of order, as that there are virtually no non-AWDs on the market here.
 
I am not a big fan of German cars, as far as comfort is concerned.
That includes what are supposed to be nice-comfy sedans.
The German cars I have been exposed to have been more than up to the task of cruising 80-mph all day, and getting good mileage while doing so. They have cornered well, and been a blast to drive.
But four hours in my Mater's Merc 240 Sedan, was like spending 15 rounds with a highly adept boxer that dealt moslty kidney punches.
Also, on the repair and maintenance side of things, German cars are very reliable, but like Marshall amps, when they break, it's usually expensive. If that's a factor.
If it isn't, and you shop. Late '90's and early "turn of the century" 3-Series BMW's will hit the top end of your price range.

Also, if you're looking for exclusivity, Forget the Camry. In this town, (Leavenworth, KS) There are a stunning number of Mini-vans, and SUV's. There are even more Camry's. And they are mostly variations of that champagne bronze, to dark bronze color.
I took my wife's Camry to Olathe, a litle town about twenty miles south of here, and "saw myself" more than a few times.
And on Parking at my destination, I was parked next to, across from, and kitty-corrner to 3 other Camrys. (2 were similar colors to mine.)
 
Takumi Fujiwara
Not so much that the prices are out of order, as that there are virtually no non-AWDs on the market here.

Yeah - 80-90% of them were AWD. That's the real trouble.
 
Back